NJLargeCent

Feb 8, 2012
Southern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got out today for a few hours to a family friend's property on 2 acres.The property is very close to one of the oldest houses (1727) in my town, so I knew it must have been part of that original farm. I spent the entire time in one part of the backyard and was becoming increasingly discouraged digging clad and unmentionables here, there, and everywhere. Then about a 1/2 hr. before I left, I got a nice hit in the 70s on my AT Pro. I honestly thought nothing of it because of the way the day was going, but I was happily surprised to see a very small silver coin pop out from no more than 3 inches down. I immediately saw the seated figure and thought I had my 1st seated dime. Closer inspection revealed that it didn't say "one dime" on the reverse, but "half dime." An 1861 (no mint mark). I also picked up a silver Rosie (1940) a few minutes later close by and some mystery object that looks like a rosette with "...OR" at the top, "...MAN" at the bottom, and a design in the middle (have to clean it further). I only hunted about 20% of the property, so I'm looking forward to return trips, especially the large front yard that fronts the road. Enjoy and HH.

half dime front.jpg half dime back.jpg silver dimes.jpg mystery object front.jpg myster item back.jpg

Upvote 2

kam50

Mar 7, 2009
Canton,Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 Garrett Pro pointer
Minelab X-Terra 305 Garrett pro pointer(Fake one got ripped off!)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds..Hope there's more..HH

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonderful find my friend. I was hoping you'd find copper, and predicting "III" silver. One short on the quantity; two short of the cent value; perhaps way short on real value. Congrats.

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Question for other half cent finders... NJ's was less than 3" deep. When I found mine (Canadian) it was 1" deep MAX! I'm wondering, due to the size and lightness if these little buggers just don't burrow too deep. Interested to hear others' experiences.

NJ... :occasion14:
Imagine it's a Modelo.

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt , half dime

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds! I thought the mystery object was possibly part of a rosette when I first saw it too. It looks like there's part of an "I" before the "OR" so it may have been the word "EXCELSIOR" which is the motto of NY State.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRATS on ur 1st halfdime!! Still on my wants list. Grant, u mite b on to sumthing, my 3center was only 2" deep when all the other coins were 5" to 6" so maybe they're not heavy enuff to sink well? Good luck with the rest of the yard bud.. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread