Did a little detecting and found some silver Video!!

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been wanting to use the Garrett AT Pro lately and today I got the chance. I went to town and gained permission at an old lot. It was next to a home built in the early 1900s. I knew that the sidewalk ROW had been hunted hard in the past. I found a few memorials so I moved into the yard. Very first target was about a 4 inch 1917D wheat.
yLAur.jpg

So I grabbed the camera and started filming.
I started digging one wheat after another and ended up with 15 on the day. I was now gridding the yard and got a mid 80′s tone but it was a little jumpy. I finally got it to remain consistent and dug.

FzSyP.jpg

Harry Disston & Sons Philadelphia 1896-1917

Harry Disston and Son’s were a very well know hand saw maker that dated back into the mid 1800′s. Evidently there are collectors of this “medallions” as they are called. I found several references, some for sale, and are heavily collected. This particular one is more of a common one and helped date the lot. ref DISSTONIAN INSTITUTE

I moved on to gridding and got a lower 80′s tone and was shocked to see a welcome piece of silver.
PkgBd.jpg

1899 plain Barber

Only way I could explain the lower number was it was an older dime and the yard was very trashy. Wasn’t long before I had another signal similar and bam, second silver of the day.

h1UIl.jpg

1919 Mercury Dime

I was still digging wheat, and found 4-1919 wheats and they were all in about the same area as this Merc and the Disston Medallion. I got a really loud 89-91 and can’t explain why these were there. They were about 7 inches apart in separate holes.

55M4K.jpg

“M” monogram broken silverware ends

I did manage a coin spill of 2 wheats and my final old coin of the day. Cool date(Statehood).

PFmt4.jpg

1907 Indian Head Cent

I also found this Peter Pan Peanut button cap?

bCKxy.jpg

Peter Pan Peanut Butter

I was glad I got out and got to hunt. I filmed the hunt and will be posting it soon.
Z9EZu.jpg

12-13-12 total finds

Hope you enjoy and thanks for looking

Evan

Gonehunting for History

Last edited:
Upvote 3

kam50

Mar 7, 2009
Canton,Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 Garrett Pro pointer
Minelab X-Terra 305 Garrett pro pointer(Fake one got ripped off!)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Once again Congrats and hope you find more..HH

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is a very nice hunt , never seen a saw medallion before happy huntinn

OP
OP
Gonehunting

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you use a Garrett pro pointer?
Yes I actually have two Garrett's. One I have had for a while and has the marked tape on it so I can tell how deep targets are, the other is brand new... I also use the ProFind..

wheatfinder13

Silver Member
Nov 23, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
Teknetics alpha 2000 ,garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gonehunting said:
Yes I actually have two Garrett's. One I have had for a while and has the marked tape on it so I can tell how deep targets are, the other is brand new... I also use the ProFind..

That's a great idea thanks

Da Sand Crab

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2009
Far, Far Away
Fun vid.
They used to make jewelry out of silverware, especially
if they couldn't afford the real thing. Those two pieces
were probably going to be earrings or pendants but were never finished.
Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
Gonehunting

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a great idea thanks
thanks... been using that for a while and sent it in for repair.. they were good enough to leave that on there and still repair it.. I just haven't gotten it out of the box till recently..

Fun vid.
They used to make jewelry out of silverware, especially
if they couldn't afford the real thing. Those two pieces
were probably going to be earrings or pendants but were never finished.
Thanks for sharing.
I have been getting a lot of detecting friends telling me that.. I did some research and found some jewelry,, definite possibility... thanks for the view...

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice haul, days like that are great!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread