Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally got a silver coin today! I was "playing" in a park I had been detecting in a thousand times just for practice and to learn what my machine is telling me. I was going over a bare spot where the City had hauled in some dirt and built a gazebo. My detector lit up showing a dime icon at 4". When I dug out my plug I saw the coin immediately as although worn it was still bright and shiney compared to all the others I have recovered. It was a 1927 Mercury dime all by its lonely self! After that I dug up half the hillside but alas no more silver just a few clad pennies. I suppose it was hauled into the park with the fill dirt? Anyway I finally did it and I hope this is a harbinger of things to come. My goal was to get silver and now it's kinda' a letdown it being a lowly dime and all. Now I have to set anew goal.......let's see, what will it be? How about a ring? Any ring and washers don't count! ;)

Upvote 0

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
WTG, Jimmy! I'll say this as the 1st person to post, You earned that one! Might even make 1st place in Find of the Month with ITTHC. Congrats!

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find! Mercury dimes are always good! That was the 1st silver coin I ever found too!

HH

Lonewolfe

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
64rosie here to! ;D

okiepapa

Nov 25, 2004
Found 3 silver dimes here in beautiful downtown Ada, Ok. today, 26 merc., 41 merc., 57 rosie. Good job on your 1st, just the beginning.

Viltaire

Feb 26, 2005
Nice Find. Grats :) I can't wait to find my first silver. How long did it take you? Where are the pics of it ;)

Viltaire

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
Way to go Jimmy! That silver is always nice. Ain't it great, how it comes out of the ground so shiney? I love it when it turns up. Congrats my man! Spotz

R

rvbvetter

I think a merc. was one of the best looking coins made. For you're first silver a 27 merc. is hardly a lowly dime. WTG!!

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to post a pic but my? scanner is broke!? I know they are not very expensive and I plan on getting a new one soon.? That dime isn't going anywhere and I will post a pic as soon as I can.? You know, finding a silver dime is much more fun than digging a clad penny!

R

rvbvetter

I agree. Silver is much better than a copper coated zink slug. Can't wait to see it and all the ones that will be coming after it. WTG!! HH

J

jdevon121

i am still waiting on my first...

i have found a gold wedding band, but never any silver. maybe someday...

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been doing things in reverse. The second time out I recovered an 18" 14k gold chain necklace. I thought to myself, "This is easy!" " So, I'll just go out next week and get me as sack full of silver coins!" WRONG!! Ever since I have been working my butt off to find some silver coin. By all odds this dime should not have been where it was, but who knows how it got there? If it was easy it wouldn't be worth the effort. I love not knowing what that next target will turn out to be. Sure your detector will give you some idea what to expect, but you never really know until you dig that next hole. I have quite a collection of junk I have found that I keep in an old coffee can. I can look at each piece and remember where I found it and under what circumstances. Then I can imagine who was the last person to see or handle this object and what were they doing and why? Those are just some of the things that make the hobby of metal detecting so interesting to me.

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will always remember the details of that first silver, I do and it has been 25 years now!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread