Silver Bracelet

ENGRAVER

Jun 8, 2005
Chitown
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I was at an estate sale near work during lunch today and I found a silver bracelet, I can read that it is Mexico and 925, but has other markings I cannot make out. I was hoping someone here can help identify.

Here are the pics, sorry for lack of clarity, I used my phone.
brace_mark_2.jpg

brace_mark_1.jpg

Thanks for looking

Luis S.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as it does not say "alpaca" They use that word a lot like ALPACA SILVER just probably nickel.
If your says 925 I am sure it is some purity of silver. I do not trust Mexican silver to be full 925. they probablt just melt down what they can get (jewelry, coins, etc)

How much did you pay? If it is 925 it is worth about 85¢ a gram.

OP
OP
E

ENGRAVER

Jun 8, 2005
Chitown
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I payed 3 dollars for it. It weighs 20 grams, so I think I did alright. Thanks for the feedback, still trying to learn things. On my way home stopped at a place and found a ring with what I believe are Irish hallmarks and I am still trying to decipher them. I tried taking a pic with no luck so far, if I can I'll post in a bit.

Luis S.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice little find for $3. It looks to be a makers mark but I cannot make it out even after enlarging my screen to 400%. I've never had a problem with the purity Mexican silver found in my area, especially vintage silver. Half of the stuff I find at sales is usually Mexican (Taxco) and it has all tested good so far. Maybe some of the stuff on the west coast is a little questionable, I don't know. I have run across other stuff marked .925 that was fake but it wasn't marked Mexico. Alpaca is of course nothing but copper nickel and zinc that is sometimes silverplated.

One thing to keep in mind- If you ever find any Mexican silver marked "plata," that means silver in Spanish, not "plated" as one may first assume.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing to keep in mind- If you ever find any Mexican silver marked "plata," that means silver in Spanish,

That is some of the first yardsale Spanish I had to learn. When I go to a yardsale and ask the adult if they have any gold or silver and they automatically look at their 6 year old anchor baby I look back at the adult and say "Oro y Plata?"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread