Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Silver Cross Ring - Jeweler's Mark Question

I found this about 80 miles NW of Houston at my friends mom's place. Her house occupies the site of a church that was there about 100 years ago. The ring was under a large bush...it was the first ring I ever found (5 or so years ago).

My question is: Is there any way to use the jeweler's mark to find out when and where it was made? Is ther an online resource for this type of info?

I've included a pic of the ring and a crappy drawing of the jeweler's mark...

Attachments

• Cross_Ring.jpg
    Cross_Ring.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 312
  • Cross_Ring_Jewelers_Mark.jpg
    Cross_Ring_Jewelers_Mark.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 270
Upvote 0

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Silver Cross Ring - Jeweler's Mark Question

That's a nice ring there Beep,look's pretty heavy.What's the size?Thinking about selling it?WTG and HH!!Sorry can't help with the mark.

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I found this quote

"The United States has never used hallmarks per se. Indications of fineness or karat have been required since 1906, but fineness marks were sometimes stamped on silver jewelry in the 19th century (?coin? or ?standard? for 900 silver, ?sterling? for 925). "

at this URL...

http://www.modernsilver.com/basichallmarks.htm

This may indicate that it is pre-1906. The article also said the the letters have to do with the year...some kind of rotating basis...capital letters, then lower-case letters. Jewellers marks, or "Hallmarks" have to be registered at the Assay Office (at least nowadays), so maybe they can tell me something.

civilman1 -> It's heavy, but small...doesn't even fit on my pinky all the way.? It was probably a kids baptism ring, or something...really don't know.? I don't want to sell, and you probably wouldn't want to buy, seeing as it's too small to wear.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Thank's for the reply Beep,just curious.Nice item.HH!!

newtocoinhunting

Jan 16, 2006
Nebraska, USA

I didn't find your mark, but here's a list of some mystery silver marks for future reference:
http://www.modernsilver.com/MYSTMARKS.html

I don't own a copy myself, but you might check out this book:
Pocket Edition Jackson's Hallmarks: English, Scottish, Irish Silver and Gold Marks from 1300 to Present Day (Paperback)
by Ian Pickford (Editor)
Paperback: 172 pages
Publisher: Antique Collectors' Club; N.e.of Pocket Ed edition (January 1, 1993)
Language: English
ISBN: 1851491694

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

That's a really nice ring, Beep. Looks like a lot of silver.

By the way, I like your name. I makes me think of my brother cuz Beep was his nickname. :D

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

fleamistress said:
925? is the usual mark for sterling but I don't know when they began that.? Condition suggests it is at least sterling--platinum and white gold are white metals also.? Marks are tough.? Try searching antique jewelry boards.? Maybe Christian Jewelry.? I'm guessing the 3 candles are the Trinity.? It could be the rectory/order/convent/etc. had their own jewelry-maker.? The crucifix feels Roman or Greek or something.? (How's that for expertise?) ;)

FWIW.

Cyn

Flea may be pretty close. I have a hunch (nothing I can research on this computer) that it may either be Greek Orthodox or Egyptian (but it isn't an ankh).

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks everyone for your help!

Flea -> It was tarnished very brown, but not corroded. It cleaned up fairly easily. It was about 6" down.

haupin -> ;D

The only thing I can add is that the "O" below the candelabra might be a sun or moon...kind of hard to make out. The "A" and "STER" are definite.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread