Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I returned to where I recovered a silver dime spill a few weeks back. I wanted to investigate all deep "98" signals on my DEUS.
With all the Wheat Pennies I was digging, I just knew there had to be a few more silvers.
The problem with the DEUS in NYC parks is that it loves steel bottle caps. Usually, if they are around the 3 or 4 inch depth, the V.D.I. will bounce from a high 90's to a high 80's number. A clad quarter,, just below the surface will hold at a 94 or 95 V.D.I. signal.
A shallow steel bottle cap will sometimes hold at a 95 instead of bouncing up and down, but the audio almost always ends with a POP.
Now when you get a deep sweet audio, maybe 8 inches deep, with no V.D.I.,, you just have to go after it.
My first coin yesterday was a Wheat Penny. It was deep. Twenty minutes later, a 1953 Silver Roosevelt Dime. Always nice to get a silver early in the hunt. Two hours into the hunt and out pops a 1900 Barber Dime. Prior to this coin, my oldest coin at this site was a (no date), Standing Liberty Quarter. Once I saw the Barber Dime, I knew I would be staying until I found a Mercury Dime to complete the Trifecta.
Just around the 5 hour mark, out popped a 1944d Mercury Dime. Of the 3 Silver Dimes, 2 registered 98 and were deep. The Mercury dime was deep but I didn't get a V.D.I. number. It just sounded sweet.
I also recovered a Toasted Buffalo Nickel and 11 Wheat pennies along with a Shell Coin Game for States of the Union, (Illinois)

IMG_6639.JPG IMG_6638.JPG

IMG_6641.JPG IMG_6640.JPG
In all my years of swinging a coil, this is only my second Silver Dime Trifecta. HH

Last edited:
Upvote 20

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome day! I love when I get a trifecta, makes it feel like more of an accomplishment

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the dime trifecta. The Deus VDI numbers you mention seem kinda high for a dime, however I noticed one day that the higher the frequency, the higher the number. Maybe you were using 18 KHZ?

Edit, just re-read. At first I thought you were expecting to get dimes reading 98.

OP
OP
against the wind

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the dime trifecta. The Deus VDI numbers you mention seem kinda high for a dime, however I noticed one day that the higher the frequency, the higher the number. Maybe you were using 18 KHZ?

Edit, just re-read. At first I thought you were expecting to get dimes reading 98.

I hear you buddy,, I'm running a special Andy 12 program that Digging Dude gave me. It is a 12 hz program that allows you to switch to 18hz if you're getting too much EMI interference. My normal VDI number for a silver dime can range from 92 to 95.
98 is high but when they are deep, I guess it gets pumped up to 98 due to a possible halo effect. Either way, that number and the depth, is producing Silver Coins. Digging Dude also installed a program that will keep the VDI number the same, regardless of what frequency you are operating in.
Sir Dude, swore me to secrecy so I must keep these programs to myself.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome hunt!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats ATW. That trifecta is really cool in my book!

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice hunt! I've only ever found 3 silver dimes in a single hunt once.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice going on your Trifecta!
Waiting for one myself

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear you buddy,, I'm running a special Andy 12 program that Digging Dude gave me. It is a 12 hz program that allows you to switch to 18hz if you're getting too much EMI interference. My normal VDI number for a silver dime can range from 92 to 95.
98 is high but when they are deep, I guess it gets pumped up to 98 due to a possible halo effect. Either way, that number and the depth, is producing Silver Coins. Digging Dude also installed a program that will keep the VDI number the same, regardless of what frequency you are operating in.
LOL I'm still in pre-school when it comes to the Deus. I've had mine for about 18 months now, but I still haven't downloaded 4.0 and I use no custom programs. I just run the Pitch program and adjust sensitivity, disc, frequency, reactivity, and silencer based on conditions. I did make a nice dime trifecta one weekend late last year with the Deus though.....
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...-trifecta-hard-way-capped-barber-mercury.html

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Congrats. I do the same thing running id norm and switch my frequency from 12 to 18 depending on conditions. 18 really cuts down on EMI but 12 is better for all around use. Deep 97-98VDI are almost always old coins. Even deep nickels can VDI in the 90s

Last edited:

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go ATW. Nice silvers. I was out for 2 hours today after the Honey Do list and only managed a 1904 Indian and 2 wheats.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice trifecta. Congrats on the fun hunt

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work, you are one with your machines!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
totally awesome hunt with awesome results! congrats!

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! A trifecta!! Yep..... don't pay attention to those VDI numbers with deep sweet sounding signals. Congrats and HH

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work ATW, that's a sweet trifecta

Top Member Reactions