Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I returned to where I recovered a silver dime spill a few weeks back. I wanted to investigate all deep "98" signals on my DEUS.
With all the Wheat Pennies I was digging, I just knew there had to be a few more silvers.
The problem with the DEUS in NYC parks is that it loves steel bottle caps. Usually, if they are around the 3 or 4 inch depth, the V.D.I. will bounce from a high 90's to a high 80's number. A clad quarter,, just below the surface will hold at a 94 or 95 V.D.I. signal.
A shallow steel bottle cap will sometimes hold at a 95 instead of bouncing up and down, but the audio almost always ends with a POP.
Now when you get a deep sweet audio, maybe 8 inches deep, with no V.D.I.,, you just have to go after it.
My first coin yesterday was a Wheat Penny. It was deep. Twenty minutes later, a 1953 Silver Roosevelt Dime. Always nice to get a silver early in the hunt. Two hours into the hunt and out pops a 1900 Barber Dime. Prior to this coin, my oldest coin at this site was a (no date), Standing Liberty Quarter. Once I saw the Barber Dime, I knew I would be staying until I found a Mercury Dime to complete the Trifecta.
Just around the 5 hour mark, out popped a 1944d Mercury Dime. Of the 3 Silver Dimes, 2 registered 98 and were deep. The Mercury dime was deep but I didn't get a V.D.I. number. It just sounded sweet.
I also recovered a Toasted Buffalo Nickel and 11 Wheat pennies along with a Shell Coin Game for States of the Union, (Illinois)

IMG_6639.JPG IMG_6638.JPG

IMG_6641.JPG IMG_6640.JPG
In all my years of swinging a coil, this is only my second Silver Dime Trifecta. HH

Last edited:
Upvote 20

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread