waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it was one of those days where I found a bit of silver everywhere I looked ::). Usually Tuesday is my day to get coin bags from the bank so I don't ground hunt, but I had an extra hour this morning so I headed to a local park. Found a bit of clad then got that good sound from the SE and out popped a 55-S Roosevelt Dime (3rd silver with the new 11" DD coil).

So Then I head to the bank to pick up any bags of dimes and cents they have for me.
while the teller is getting the stuff from the vault I mosey over to check out the reject bin of the coin counter. In addition to the usual Canadian and foreign coins, I see the reverse of a BARBER Quarter looking up at me. So I empty the reject tray real quick and dump everything into my pocket. The Barber turned out to be an 1899. I've got my dime and cent bags loaded in the car and was almost out of the parking lot when my dementia eased up a bit and I realized that I should get the quarter bag as well, since if one got rejected maybe some more got accepted.

I get home, go through the quarter bag and sure enough there was a worn out SLQ and 2 silver Washington quarters.

Then I go through the Dime bag and pull another 9 silver dimes including a 1943D Merc.

I like days like this :o

thanks for looking

Attachments

• 55S Sept 08.JPG
    55S Sept 08.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 1,099
  • 99 barber qtr.JPG
    99 barber qtr.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,080
  • sept 9 silver qtrs.JPG
    sept 9 silver qtrs.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 1,080
  • sept 9 silver dimes.JPG
    sept 9 silver dimes.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 1,079
Upvote 0

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Wow nice job on the coin hunt! No matter how your huntin em'....jgas

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet reject finds and other finds!!! Congrats!!! Its refreshing to see that people don't know was a Barber quarter is and that they leave them in the reject bin...

Nice SLQ find, Congrats again!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
To hell with those Bank's....They get you coming and going anyway....Look's like the "dirt fishin" aspect is working out fine!!! :thumbsup: Nice Dig's

MrBling

Aug 12, 2008
North Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI/Garrett Ace 250
A Barber in a coin counter.That's hilarious!
I always check the reject trays of Coinstar machines but so far have found only "furrins" and ordinary clad

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digging Barber Quarters makes me sleep better at night. Good stuff.
CurbdiggerCarl

OP
OP
waseeker

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MrBling said:
A Barber in a coin counter.That's hilarious!
I always check the reject trays of Coinstar machines but so far have found only "furrins" and ordinary clad
TreasureFiend said:
Sweet reject finds and other finds!!! Congrats!!! Its refreshing to see that people don't know was a Barber quartes is and that they leave them in the reject bin...

Nice SLQ find, Congrats again!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I think what helps is that for this type of machine the reject bin is actually a tray and you have to pull it out to see what's there. I doubt that most folks even realize that anything has rejected. They have been a good source of 40% half dollars and 1943 Steel Cents in addition to foreign coins and the occasional silver coin.

OP
OP
waseeker

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
t-bucket said:
Cool finds,I wish all silver was that easy to find :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

T-Bucket - ever since you ran into my Brother & Nephew over in Marion you've been on a pretty good roll. It's got them jealous ;D

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is the way to find silver, in a reject bin...Nice haul.

John Deere Digger

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2007
So Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Prism5, Minelab SE
Nice going, finding silver in the till and with your detector. Keep working that pro coil, dig all signals that give a high tone even one way.
JDD

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
nice job on all of the silver today! :) Looks like coin roll hunting is doing really good! Might have to try it sometime when I get the money! :)

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds, in fact, those are great finds. I have to ask though, What does the bank charge for a bag of coins? Seriously. I didn't know they did such a thing, I was under the impression that the coins would be rolled and wrapped. That's a way cool way of hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread