Silver for effort, and a day of firsts!

KinjoVT

Jun 7, 2006
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Prizim IV, BHID, GTAX 400, GTA 350, and a few others
I would like to share todays finds with you all. I had all day to myself no work or commitments to attend to! It was cloudy with possible showers but I figured I would go out and detect as much as possible.
The first park I hit I was able to score some clad finds and a small butterfly pendant possibly silver. I saw lightning so I went to another spot a good distance in the opposite direction from the clouds. I was having a slow day with the finds, when I got what I found to be a "good" hit with my new detector. I have only had the machine three days now. About one inch under I got this big silver ring. It says mexico TL-49 925 on the inside. Well I was feeling pretty good now. I was starting to slow down on signals so I went to a school that was built the early 1900's. I was in a small corner of the yard and noticed an opening in the fence. I looked down and saw some old paths that lead all over the hillside. I decided I would at least give the trails a try. Immediately I started finding pennys from the late 60's and early 70's. I figured that it was possible to find silver. At the bottom of one of the paths I got a really strange signal from the detector. It sounded good and would not discriminate out when I turned up the disc. So I dug. Finally at about 6-7 inches I pulled up a 1906 indian head!!! It was my first! (Funny how last night I posted in a discussion on Tnet about someone finding their first one, and stated I had never found one). I got over my excitement and stuck my pinpointer back in. It went off again! Could it be? Sure enough another indian head penny. I repeated and found another beep. I pulled up another, and then another handful of dirt and got what I think to be a V Nickel and another Indian head ;D I was in disbelief at this point. And all the coins were deep. I figured I had exhausted the coin supply and stuck my pinpointer in......It went off at the bottom of the hole. I gently reached in and pulled up an item I could feel in the dirt. I saw a glimmer of silver!!!!! Now mind you I have only found one silver coin while metal detecting and It was a 1954 quarter I posted last week. Well this was better a 1898 Barber Half. You can still read most of the liberty on the headband at is has great detail. I don't know how many were minted or how to give it a possible grade because I do not have a red book, but I can't wait to find out! ;D I have never seen such a beautiful coin.....but since this is my first good silver coin I must be bias :D It was a day of silver and firsts for me and I am still excited! I think I gotta get back to the site!!! Thanks for reading

Attachments

• DSC00243(2).JPG
    DSC00243(2).JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 610
  • DSC00244(2).JPG
    DSC00244(2).JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 592
  • DSC00245(2).JPG
    DSC00245(2).JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 611
  • DSC00248(2).JPG
    DSC00248(2).JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 607
Upvote 0
and the front sorry!

Attachments

• DSC00247(2).JPG
    DSC00247(2).JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 598
Wow, you were right about firsts. Beautiful finds, particularly that half! If it doesn't have a mint mark, there were 2.956 million minted. (coinfacts.com is great for that sort of thing) Congrats!!!

That was a great story! Again Congrats! Guess you're really happy with your Cibola!! Those are really great finds! Did you have your detector in Supertune mode?

My first silver was a 1942 Walking Liberty Half Dollar in 1984. Congrats on a great first silver and your first two Indian Cents!!!

Newfiehunter said:
That was a great story! Again Congrats! Guess you're really happy with your Cibola!! Those are really great finds! Did you have your detector in Supertune mode?
Thanks yes I am happy with the Cibola so far. I did not have it in supertune mode. I have not played with that yet. I still want to try and spend some more time with it before I do that. I did wonder though if I would have found the indian heads without the half dollar with them. They were deep. I do hope that I would have found them. I can only read the date on one of the pennys the others are very badly corroded!

Wow, talk about a day of firsts!!!!!! Congrats!!! :thumbsup:

From the 2008 Red Book.

1898 Barber half dollar

G-4......$12
VG-8....$15
F-12.....$38
VF-20...$95

Evolution said:
From the 2008 Red Book.

1898 Barber half dollar

G-4......$12
VG-8....$15
F-12.....$38
VF-20...$95
Thanks for the help with the red book I gotta get over to Barnes and Noble.
And also thanks to everyone for the responses

Good Job and nice finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back