Good CW Relics and Housesite Goodies Today!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Mr. Rodeo Recon and I got together for our weekly Tuesday Hunt today. :) Since the weather was in the 70's for the high (unlike last week when we were out on 90 degree days :P), we hit two spots. The second spot was a small house site that yielded only a flat button, a harmonica reed, and two toe taps (would've been a housesite trifecta with a suspender clip in the mix 8) ). Since the finds there weren't incredibly exciting, all I'll say is that it was a fun woods hunt during which I saw a cool moth.

Moth.jpg

Even though the finds there were meager, we'd had a great day already by 2pm when we got on the second site. So let me tell you now about the first part of our day...

We'd had the uncommon experience of hunting a pasture earlier today. We pulled up to a great old farmhouse (the yard of which will be a back-up spot for us in the future, I'm sure). The kind old lady inside told us to hunt in the pasture all we wanted. :thumbsup: As we were walking down there without all the heavy gear, I kept thinking this would be Sweet in comparison to the hunts we've been doing. When we got on the site, we quickly found the iron patch--and I couldn't believe that I could actually hunt without the searchcoil hitting something every sweep. :P It felt....EASY!

We were enjoying ourselves in the sunny, non-sweaty, non-tick-infested, non-poison ivy-covered pasture. ;D

Fields.jpg

Needless to say, the finds started to slowly make their way into our pouches. A suspender clip for Rodeo and a toe tap for me...and then Rodeo dug something and waved me over. When I got there, my gut instinct screamed "SCABBARD TIP!" (The relic hunter in me is never far beneath the surface.) I'm pretty darn sure that's what this is--perhaps someone can give me a positive ID of the item. (The case for this being military was further strengthened later in the hunt... :wink:)

Scabbard Tip.jpg

Scabbard Tip1.jpg

My next target I thought I'd gotten--of all things--not a LC, or a 2 Cent Piece...but an IH. :P I took a photo or two and called Rodeo over, carefully picked it up...and then realized it was a Flat Button False Alarm. ::)

Flat Button False Alarm.jpg

We kept coaxing the sparse good targets from the non-ticky pasture. I then dug something that I believe is my favorite house site item so far. When I saw it in the hole, I just had to smile. I call this photo "Metal Detecting is True Love."

Metal Detecting Love.jpg

A Beautiful little stamped brass heart. :)

Meanwhile Rodeo was in top form, working the site with his passion HIGH:

Rodeo.jpg

After a little while without any good signal besides Big Iron, I got a decent brass signal on the Mighty Tesoro. It turned out to be a two-piece button. ;D I was hoping this one would turn out to be an Eagle Button...and indeed, it was. :thumbsup:

Eagle Dug.jpg

Rodeo was meanwhile filling his pouch with goodies, including this interesting piece of decorated brass that I believe might be a portion of a ram rod channel. Perhaps someone can help with the ID...

Ram Rod Channel.jpg

Ram Rod Channel1.jpg

My last target of the day was this cool piece of stamped, silvered brass with a female figure on it. Any ideas on this one is much appreciated as well. When I found it, it was bent...but I always carefully straighten items like these--as well as the toe taps and suspender clips...

Silver Plated Portrait.jpg

It had gotten into the afternoon by that time, and the good targets had waned considerably...plus we'd gotten a little nervous about the momma cows, their babies, and the Big BULL encroaching gradually on our spot. Hint: The BULL is in the middle of this photo. He is the one with the horns. :wink: He also has other things that make him anatomically different from the female cows...but we can't mention exactly what those are on Treasurenet. :-X It's a "family forum." :D

Bull.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a photo of our finds:

Finds Uncleaned.jpg

There is one item in the above photo that we still haven't figured out yet...we think it's SILVER. But we have no idea what it is. Looks like an alligator or lizard with a loop on its nose for fastening it to something else, and its tail is hook-shaped. It strikes me as an odd design for jewelry. And if it is modern, it'd be the only modern thing from the site. We'll keep working on it, and if you'd like we can post some close-up photos of the item.

Here are a few more of some of my finds:

Some of My Finds.jpg

Heart.jpg

Regards,

Buckleboy

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Finds buddy LOL @ "He also has other things that make him anatomically different from the female cows...but we can't mention exactly what those are on Treasurenet. It's a "family forum." " From the description of your finds there sound like a few keepers :thumbsup: For some reason, however, the pics would not load ? ??? I'll try again later :wink:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
plehbah said:
I cannot offer a positive I.D., but my initial impression is that it could be a scabbard tip. It looks like some sort of pre-war militia style. How substantial is it? Also, is it stamped or cast?

I think the rectangular stamped piece with the female portrait is the classic Victorian ladies sash buckle. I love how the pretty Victorian ladies wore items of decoration depicting pretty Victorian ladies. Very creepy.

The heart is a real treasure. Some items just embody the era and region in which you find them. That is one of them.

Nice stuff.

Thank you for your comments, plehbah.

The "scabbard tip" is cast, and it is pretty heavy. The brass acorn :P shaped node on the bottom is solid.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Will...

Damn your finds are awesome... I love the relics!

I agree with scabord tip... maybe dagger?

What else could it be... a leather rope tip or something?

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montana Jim said:
Will...

Damn your finds are awesome... I love the relics!

I agree with scabord tip... maybe dagger?

What else could it be... a leather rope tip or something?

I can't think of much else it could be either...and when it was uncleaned I was worried that there wasn't a visible hole or two in it...but after cleaning when I saw the hole, it made me think the ID was correct.

Thanks for the great comments, Jim. I love the relics too. I started out MDing as a relic hunter, and it's kind of like a disease at times--I see relics everywhere.

-W

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, I got the pics to load...The object may be a scabbard tip but it is alittle different than the ones that I have seen. I think that it may be the brass tip to a flag staff as well. In addition, the plate with the womans face on it looks to be just that, some kind of decorative plate similar to the ones worn by the militia and others during the early 1800s. I am not sure about its 'motif' though but they are nice finds for sure. Great pics too :thumbsup:

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Nice finds. I believe it is a scabbard tip. It's not as long as most I have seen but the bottom portion looks like a scabbard tip.
Dman

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent Work BB....Very nice variety going on there.Congrat's :thumbsup:

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Hey, buddy, it is good to see you on the "hunt" for more housesite goodies. :thumbsup: Once again, Rodeo always looks suuuuuuuper determined while sweeping like a true pro. I loooooove that eagle button! I have only found one of them, and it was found at a Civil War veteran's housesite. 8)

Even though you guys didn't strike it rich, you still enjoyed each other's company and found what we all seek to find: The long-forgotten relics of yesteryear! :thumbsup:

As always, keep the fever high, my good buddy!

Kyle

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
Cool relics. I also like the moth. To bad you didn't get a pic of the top of him though. Did you ever see the deathhead moth? It looks like a skull print on the top of it's thorax. I'm into nature almost as much as detecting. My wife and i are really into nature photography. My nephews are alittle single minded. Everytime I try to talk about photography they look at me funny as if to say "what does that have to do with detecting" Oh well that must be why they are so good at it. Total devotion.
Chris

jraven

Jun 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705
Cool finds!!!! What moth, I see nothing........... J/k .. Talk about camouflage... How did you find that guy? I can hardly see him in the picture...

redlined

Jan 15, 2006
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
MXT,Excellerator 4.5x7,Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202
Love the finds, looks like a nice herd of steak as well. ;D Do you guys do all of your hunts by using GPS in conjunction with old maps? I know you do for woods hunts, but was curious about the pasture hunts. I'm assuming you did on this one as well as I didn't see any homesite remnants and that pasture looked pretty well kept. WTG!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonial Silver Zeus said:
Cool relics. I also like the moth. To bad you didn't get a pic of the top of him though. Did you ever see the deathhead moth? It looks like a skull print on the top of it's thorax. I'm into nature almost as much as detecting. My wife and i are really into nature photography. My nephews are alittle single minded. Everytime I try to talk about photography they look at me funny as if to say "what does that have to do with detecting" Oh well that must be why they are so good at it. Total devotion.
Chris

Chris,

I actually think that an interest in nature AND photography goes hand in hand. Of the members of the Iron Brigade, Rodeo is one Heck of a Photographer--and he's a "bug guy" (can tell you the Latin names for anything you'll run across in the woods). Kindafoundabuckle was a PROFESSIONAL photographer at one time, and has had many photos published. And I just like both nature and photography.

And of course I got a photo of the top of him. I just thought it was odd in the first place to start a post with a photo of a moth--much less TWO photos of a moth. :D Here you are:

moth1.jpg

Regards,

Buckles

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
relichunters said:
Buckleboy, the first item looks like a town crier bell, could have been used to wake troops up.

Thanks for your reply. Do you have a photo of a town crier bell?

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
relichunters said:
Buckleboy, the first item looks like a town crier bell, could have been used to wake troops up.

Thanks for your reply. Do you have a photo of a town crier bell?

The hole in the side of this item would suggest to me that it was something other than a bell. I was looking at some of my photographic images from the Civil War and saw Several flag staffs with VERY VERY similar brass pieces attached to the bottoms of the poles with ONE screw that went threw a hole just like yours has.

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
BB I also have similar interests outside of detecting. Photography, Caving, Biking, Amateur astronomy just to name a few. I took these pics today.
moon244.jpg

moon158.jpg

Ask Rodeo what kind of Moth I just posted. It's about an inch and a half long.
The cicadas are all over here.
Thanks ,Chris

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread