Silver groat from the stubble field

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
We've missed most of the snow in my area. The temperature yesterday though was just above freezing, and damp. Its the kind of cold dampness, that feels like its getting in to your bones. I decided to try a stubble field, about 20 miles from home. Grass is now growing up through the stubble. The stubble being old, is easy to detect through. Close to the field is a little medieval church, dating to the 13th century Its a typical English scene, a little medieval church, with a small cluster of houses around it , surrounding that open farm land. Signals mostly consisted of, the usual bits of lead, shot gun cases, and the ever present buttons. After a cold and uneventful couple of hours, my thoughts were drifting towards, my warm fire place and a nice pint of beer. I was thinking of calling it a day, when a sharp signal grabbed my fading attention . On digging down a few inches through the cold damp clay soil, this lovely coin, revealed itself, after laying there for the best part of seven centuries. The coin is an hammered silver groat (for pence) probably of Edward III . Edward III reigned 1327-77, the coin on the obverse reads CIVITAS LON DON, so minted in London. As I walked off the field with my prize, the bells of the small medieval church began to chime. I got a warm feeling, knowing the person who lost that coin, would have worshipped in that church, all those centuries ago. Merry Christmas, to you all. Robert.

Attachments

• IMG_9259.JPG
    IMG_9259.JPG
    451.5 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_9260.JPG
    IMG_9260.JPG
    498 KB · Views: 142
Upvote 36

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice write up Rob. Very thoughtful and had killer coin for everyone to drool over. Excellent work

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Killer old coin find! :notworthy:

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome find and the story to go with it. Congratulations!

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer old piece of ancient silver coinage. Excellent recovery and history shared of your stubble field. Cheers mate!:occasion14:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Crisp-flat-full groat what a gift Rob. Congrats and all the best for the holiday season.

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Crisp-flat-full groat what a gift Rob. Congrats and all the best for the holiday season.
Hello pepperj, yes groats are always nice to find. Must have been a lot of money to lose. Certainly a couple of day's wages, for a peasant, in the 14th century. Merry Christmas pepperj. Robert.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great find ! Super condition too . Maybe you could frame it with a little write up and a couple of pics of the church -put it on the wall in your man cave, where you can gaze at it whenever you are enjoying a pint !

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Westfront, how's things. Cold and damp over here, would think Germany is colder. Robert.

Sure is. Had early snow then changed to loads of rain with freezing now. Didn't got out for two weeks now.... Last hunt was more fighting with muddy boots and coil than detecting.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice one Rob:headbang: have you cleaned that with electrolysis ?

SS

Benjamin52

Apr 26, 2011
Germany
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS :-:
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice how you told the story and one heck of a beautiful medieval silver!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions