Silver groat from the stubble field

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
We've missed most of the snow in my area. The temperature yesterday though was just above freezing, and damp. Its the kind of cold dampness, that feels like its getting in to your bones. I decided to try a stubble field, about 20 miles from home. Grass is now growing up through the stubble. The stubble being old, is easy to detect through. Close to the field is a little medieval church, dating to the 13th century Its a typical English scene, a little medieval church, with a small cluster of houses around it , surrounding that open farm land. Signals mostly consisted of, the usual bits of lead, shot gun cases, and the ever present buttons. After a cold and uneventful couple of hours, my thoughts were drifting towards, my warm fire place and a nice pint of beer. I was thinking of calling it a day, when a sharp signal grabbed my fading attention . On digging down a few inches through the cold damp clay soil, this lovely coin, revealed itself, after laying there for the best part of seven centuries. The coin is an hammered silver groat (for pence) probably of Edward III . Edward III reigned 1327-77, the coin on the obverse reads CIVITAS LON DON, so minted in London. As I walked off the field with my prize, the bells of the small medieval church began to chime. I got a warm feeling, knowing the person who lost that coin, would have worshipped in that church, all those centuries ago. Merry Christmas, to you all. Robert.

Attachments

• IMG_9259.JPG
    IMG_9259.JPG
    451.5 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_9260.JPG
    IMG_9260.JPG
    498 KB · Views: 143
Upvote 36

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing finds Rob that looks so cool, We got 8 inches of that white crap here I still detect though.. Happy Holidays to you Tommy

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for the great story about your hunt. You must have felt a connection to the person who lost that coin. Merry Christmas.

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Amazing finds Rob that looks so cool, We got 8 inches of that white crap here I still detect though.. Happy Holidays to you Tommy
Nice one Tommy, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Happy Christmas , to you to, Robert.

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Thank you for the great story about your hunt. You must have felt a connection to the person who lost that coin. Merry Christmas.
The population at that time would, just have been a few million. There's a good chance, I'm distantly related, to the person who dropped the coin . :laughing7: Robert.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions