Silver half dollar

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought 3 boxes of half dollars on thursday. So far, I opened $600 out of $1,500. (60 out of 150 rolls, 90 left to open)

All rolls were skunks($500 yesterday), then I opened 10 rolls today, and edge-searching, I saw an unusually mirrorlike proof edge with silver-ish look to it.

I immediately picked it out and it is a 1969-d which really looks like it was minted yesterday. Is it possible that it came from a proof set, Special mint set, or plain mint set? It is by far the nicest silver half I pulled so far. My phone does not take great pictures though I will try to post picture later...

Thanks for reading and any answers to my question!

Upvote 0

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
BuffaloBoy said:
I immediately picked it out and it is a 1969-d which really looks like it was minted yesterday. Is it possible that it came from a proof set, Special mint set, or plain mint set?

Absolutely. The US Mint sold, in addition to proof sets, mint sets of "circulation strike" coins that were in cellphone like wrappers, one of each denomination.

You might have a coin someone tore out of the mint wrapper and cashed in.

Jim

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could've swore it was a proof then I noticed more silver than copper... Wash hoping for a silver proof, but this is darn right better than a circulated 1969-d ;D

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
BuffaloBoy said:
I could've swore it was a proof then I noticed more silver than copper... Wash hoping for a silver proof, but this is darn right better than a circulated 1969-d ;D

FYI Buffaloboy, if it were a proof it would have been an S mintmark. The proof 1969 halves were 40% silver just like the D ones were. So there is no difference between them re: the copper/silver composition.

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions