Silver Ikes

Bentfork

Jan 4, 2010
Oklahoma
About 5 months ago I asked at a bank and the teller let me look through the ones she had. There were 2 silvers. A 72 and a Bi-Centennial silver one. Made my day.

HH

Bentfork

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
I always ask for large dollars when I go into a bank. So far I've bought around 500 Ikes, all clad. I did find a beat up 1923 Peace Dollar in one of the bags of Ikes, so it is worth asking. Good luck,

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
Ike's are like Canadian Clad to me.
If you get them, it's your problem to get rid of them.
Even the coin-counter machines won't take them, and it's a real joy to explain each time I buy something that "this is really a dollar".

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I myself have found [2] 40% Ikes in the past year!!! A great score was back in February when I asked a girl at a CU if she had any half dollars - she pulls out [26] halves from the drawer - [11] WL, [12] bens and [3] '64 Kens!!! :headbang: Thinking this was awesome and there could be more I asked if she had any Big Dollar coins too...

Sure enough, [2] 1921 Morgans in nice condition!!! :thumbsup: Moral of the story, always ask for halves AND big dollar coins!!! :icon_sunny:

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011
$ilver$urfer said:
I myself have found [2] 40% Ikes in the past year!!! A great score was back in February when I asked a girl at a CU if she had any half dollars - she pulls out [26] halves from the drawer - [11] WL, [12] bens and [3] '64 Kens!!! :headbang: Thinking this was awesome and there could be more I asked if she had any Big Dollar coins too...

Sure enough, [2] 1921 Morgans in nice condition!!! :thumbsup: Moral of the story, always ask for halves AND big dollar coins!!! :icon_sunny:

HH,

holy crap what a score! i wouldve asked for all of their dimes and quarters too!

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have found hundreds of clad Ikes, but only one silver one. (Pic and post was here on TNET), you could see the silver one
between the eight Ikes. It was a happy day for me but haven't seen one since.

alaskanfever

Mar 8, 2011
ALASKA
very far and few between up here i have asked every time i go in and i have only found 3 clad ikes. still waiting for the day i ask and a roll of morgans is there waiting for me to take them home.

skelly9131

Jan 12, 2010
I've never found a silver Ike, but I did get 1 Peace and 1 Morgan dollar once, so it's worth asking in my opinion.

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
brendan1414 said:
$ilver$urfer said:

HH,

holy crap what a score! i wouldve asked for all of their dimes and quarters too!

I actually came back about 15 minutes later and asked the teller if the person who dropped off the halves/big dollars dropped off any other coins and she said no, the lady said she found them while cleaning out her dad's basement! :thumbsup:

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually got $10 in ikes the last time i went to my bank .......4 silvers.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Once in a while - a dozen silver Ikes and eleven Morgans and Peace dollars in the last couple years. I find it easy to spend Ikes - much easier than half dollars.

Maine_Jim

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
I've found one 40% Ike -- it was a 1972S and a 1921 Morgan. Also have found one 1972 High Relief -- they are fairly rare. It's pretty easy to spot them but hard to find one.

Ikes are worth the time to me. I like to keep even the clad ones. They are just pretty cool.

OP
OP
Dok Holliday

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
I can understand if people cash in the old 90% Half Dollars, Quarters, and Dimes, as they have always circulated, but I find it hard to think that people have put a 40% Ike into circulation. Not that I doubt it has happened...but...these 40% Ikes came in a blue envelope from the Mint with a card that reads

Uncirculated 40% Silver Eisenhower Dollar Coin

These Coins are produced in the same manner as coins made for general circulation, the only difference being that they contain 40% silver whereas those made for regular use will be cupro-nickel.

The uncirculated coins, unlike the individually produced proof coins, are minted on high speed presses, moved along conveyors, and run through counting machines. No attempt is made to impart a special finish such as appears on the hand-processed proof coins. The treasury cannot guarentee that the uncirculated coins will be free from blemishes.

I picked up 15 of the Blue Ikes (and a Red Bicentenial Silver Set) on eBay for a song and just got the coins in the mail today...they are encased in plastic with that blue token...and this note...how could people think they'll just open up the plastic and spend it for a dollar? Even in 1971? Dang kids with their rock music!

Anyone want one of these? I've got 15, I'm probably going to send a few to PCGS for grading and throw the rest in my silver vault. If anyone wants an equitable trade, let me know via PM!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My bank has $200 on hand, I do not even buy them since I know the tellers cherry pick the coins.

Goldmanford

Aug 1, 2011
North Carolina
I finally found a bank that actually had "big dollars" today - 2 Ikes so I bought them both. No silver but still an exciting find since I've seen common Ikes going for $1.50 at coin shows just because they're not often seen. I was still a bit excited to see those two anyway!

Bentfork

Jan 4, 2010
Oklahoma
I've found that rarely any banks have any Ikes. Occasionally there will be one or two, but rarely. Despite the 40% silver ones that were stamped, tellers hoard the clad ones as if they are gold. I think they are being hoarded now as they were years ago - in the hopes they will be worth something more than a dollar. That may be, but at 50 cents over face minus fees the profit will be slow. Unless of course one manages to have several thousand of them.

HH

Bentfork

OP
OP
Dok Holliday

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
These Blue Ikes, are they worth any more with the envelope and the blue token? I'd much rather just throw them all in an Air-Tite double sealed tube. These envelopes and tokens take up so much space. Their collectable value in the plastic can't be much more than their silver bullion value...can't they? What would you guys do?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread