silver, lots of proofs and lots of questions

Feb 20, 2007
USA
Stopped at a couple banks today. Only 2 had halves and the first only 1 roll. Nothing good there.

Now the second bank had a loose box full of halves. Once I saw the teller pulling them out and detected silver, I said I'll tkae them all. She kept saying wow these are shiney but seemed glad to get rid of them. ;D Turned out to be about 4 rolls of great keepers and a couple rolls worth of non-silver but very mint ones.

I think it was someones collection they cashed in. There were several 64s and they are very sniney and proof like. There were also several 65-69s with D, and S mintmarks also. There were also several Proofs marked with an s from the 80s and 90s and even some mint 2000-2006 P and Ds. I was so excited.

Now the best part was 2 Franklins! a 60 and 61, no mint marks but they are so shiney they must be proofs. I can't tell!!!

Here are my questions,

How do I tell if the Proofs are silver or clad? In the picture below (hopefully) you can see the tarnish on the 89 S proof. It looks silver but still has a what may be a clad on the rim? How do I tell?

Also how do I know what the SMS coins look like. I think some of them could be SMS but I am not sure.

Any help in this area is appreciated!!

Thanks!!

33ni93d.jpg

2e3wzky.jpg

Upvote 0

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Great finds.

From the lighting on your photo, the 89S & 60 definitely look like proofs The background should be mirrored and dark, while the image should be white/frosted.

The others, if they're not proof, do look like BU.

patpall22

Jul 4, 2006
Carmel ca/ Big Sur ca
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, whites DFX, XP DEUS, etrac and sandshark
Amazing finds!!!!!, and great story about the teller opening roles and seeing silver.You can tell if your proof is silver if the rim of the coin looks similar to those of clean 90%'Er's, or those 64 Kennedy's you found. Those Franklens sure look pretty. your pic is the first itme i've seen a Franklen proof.

OP
OP

Feb 20, 2007
USA
patpall22 said:
Amazing finds!!!!!, and great story about the teller opening roles and seeing silver.You can tell if your proof is silver if the rim of the coin looks similar to those of clean 90%'Er's, or those 64 Kennedy's you found. Those Franklens sure look pretty. your pic is the first itme i've seen a Franklen proof.

I am guessing the proofs are non-silver then as they have a clad look to the rim and not sold silver looking like the 90% ones.

I am not complaining though ;D

These are my first Frankins!!

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG 6920!!! Those two Franklins are in really good shape....I have never found one that looks that nice. I have also never found a 65-69 S yet. Good job girl!

Thanks for posting the pictures.....now at least I know what they look like....ha!

patpall22

Jul 4, 2006
Carmel ca/ Big Sur ca
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, whites DFX, XP DEUS, etrac and sandshark
6920 said:
I am guessing the proofs are non-silver then as they have a clad look to the rim and not sold silver looking like the 90% ones.

I am not complaining though

These are my first Frankins!!

I found my first proof last week and thought is was silver simply because it had a s mintmark, but proofs come in silver and clad. I think that they are the best looking half.

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Nice haul- beautiful job on the pictures, too!!!
Keep it up!

craig101

May 8, 2006
that 1960 franklin is a proof AND it looks CAM or maybe DCAM. cameo or deep cameo. thats the distinction between the frosty parts of the coin and the non-frosty parts. if it wasn't in circulated condition, it would be worth more than silver valure.

nice pick-ups!

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
LJ, No proof halves minted in 65,66,or 67. They started making proofs from the S mint in 1968. Before that they came from Philly.

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
goldinmypan said:
LJ, No proof halves minted in 65,66,or 67. They started making proofs from the S mint in 1968. Before that they came from Philly.

Thanks for that info Gold.....you guys are so sharp..... ;). Maybe one day I will come across one of those 68's or 69 "S". 6920 picked up a really nice looking one here. Oh well....one day.......

Thanks again Gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread