Silver (?) medallion from the farm

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I was closing out this morning's hunt at the silver farm when I got a strong half dollar signal. Up to that point, my best find of the day was a 52D Rosey followed by 35 and 45 wheats. On opening the hole, I found this half dollar sized medallion, and it appears to be silver; I will attempt a cleaning later. The Walker shown is for size comparison only. The shield side has the words "Do right and fear no man." There is a flying creature on the back with the words "COMITE AMERICAIN POUR LES REGIONS DEVASTEES DE LA FRANCE" around the rim. Other features of this side are the dates 1916 and 1923 and, in tiny print, the word Lindauer. The shield side has a tiny 1916 and some other lettering I can't make out. Somebody has to know what this is, and its significance. It has to involve France and the United States, but how? Our involvement in WWI spanned 1917-18. Help?!

Attachments

• medallion (2).jpg
    medallion (2).jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 796
  • medallionplus (2).jpg
    medallionplus (2).jpg
    25 KB · Views: 784
Upvote 0

jadewhiskey

Mar 16, 2005
New Hampshire
That's a cool medal.... Congratulations....

I am going out tomorrow - can't wait.....

Hopefully I will have something else to share....

This site is the best....

JadeWhiskey

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I took this medal over to the farm today and asked if any ancestors had been involved in France after WWI. The answer was no, but their father was injured in the Battle of the Bulge. Sorry, but France wasn't awarding this particular medal for that event, so I guess I'll keep it. The woman guessed that one of their campers had lost it, but we'll never know. While I'm at it, no silver at the farm today, just five wheats and five memorials. Hoping for a better showing tomorrow. We did get another look at two kittens we'll be adopting from the farm next Monday ::).

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That medal is way cool HD-- Congrats on another fantastic find.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
wow neat "silver" find and a great bit of history to go with it to boot---best of both worlds --Ivan

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
halfdime said:
I took this medal over to the farm today and asked if any ancestors had been involved in France after WWI. The answer was no, but their father was injured in the Battle of the Bulge. Sorry, but France wasn't awarding this particular medal for that event, so I guess I'll keep it. The woman guessed that one of their campers had lost it, but we'll never know. While I'm at it, no silver at the farm today, just five wheats and five memorials. Hoping for a better showing tomorrow. We did get another look at two kittens we'll be adopting from the farm next Monday ::).

Good on you for trying to see if the current property owner had tie to it.

And good on you for the kittens. We have 20 acres and a small hobby farm and folks just seem to think kittens are absorbed into the chicken yard like olives in a martini. We have three "rescued" kittens to go with our growingly disgruntled original two pedigreed cats (plus one we handed off to the neighbors last February, bless their hearts). One of them weighed less than a pound and some [censored, CENSORED, HOLY EXTREMELY CENSORED!!!] excuse for a human tossed it out on a drive-by to make it's living here. We had to bottle feed it. (Sweet cat, now). All our cats are 100% indoor, and there is a resident tom who precedeed us here that still lives in the barn (and receives absolutely no foreign aid from us beyond tolerance, an occasional kind word and access to water and the hay loft). Swear to you, he brought our most recent cat to the back door, stayed with her and saw she was OK and we had discovered it, then went back to the barn. Amazing. She's was a five or six month old all-black semi-long hair female that showed up starved near-to-death a week after the local University let out for the summer. Nice.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Extremely nice find. Our country has bailed France out yet another time that I was not aware of. How soon they forgot from the treatment France has afforded us in the past several years. Anyway, that's a great showpiece you found with an interesting history. Monty

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You shouldn't confuse the French Government with the people or military of France any more than you would confuse the American Government with the people or military of America. I've actually been to France and met some who are pleasant and very supportive of Americans. And some who are not at all. There are entire towns in France who still welcome Americans like family. More so than some parts of Georgia welcome New Yorkers. :D

Last I knew our Abrams tanks were sporting French made barrels. We also owe them a big one for bottling up the British Fleet at VA/MD and keeping them busy in Europe (or us'n wood all be speeking English tuday).

texian1832

Jun 14, 2007
Denison, Tx
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibalo
Charlie P - 1 st off kudos to you and yours for taking the "cast-offs" in - you will be rewarded and those that cast them off will get their just rewards. And secondly, thank you for distinguishing between the actions of a government and those of the citizens, yep been to Paris and was warned that those "Parisians" were rude and arrogant (same thing I hear about New Yorkers), guess what - those folks were as nice as can be. They stopped a metro bus because the bus driver said that it went to our hotel, I mean the entire bus load of folks stood up and yelled (most I could not understand), anyway he stopped and waited until we got on the right bus to the directions and cheers of everyone on his bus. Trust me, that is not a scene we encountered anywhere else. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread - just saying don't judge all books (or folks) by their covers(government).
HH All!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread