Silver (?) medallion from the farm

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I was closing out this morning's hunt at the silver farm when I got a strong half dollar signal. Up to that point, my best find of the day was a 52D Rosey followed by 35 and 45 wheats. On opening the hole, I found this half dollar sized medallion, and it appears to be silver; I will attempt a cleaning later. The Walker shown is for size comparison only. The shield side has the words "Do right and fear no man." There is a flying creature on the back with the words "COMITE AMERICAIN POUR LES REGIONS DEVASTEES DE LA FRANCE" around the rim. Other features of this side are the dates 1916 and 1923 and, in tiny print, the word Lindauer. The shield side has a tiny 1916 and some other lettering I can't make out. Somebody has to know what this is, and its significance. It has to involve France and the United States, but how? Our involvement in WWI spanned 1917-18. Help?!

Attachments

• medallion (2).jpg
    medallion (2).jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 795
  • medallionplus (2).jpg
    medallionplus (2).jpg
    25 KB · Views: 783
Upvote 0

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
that is awesome! Can't wait to find out all the particulars about it! :D Go PBK, go! :D :D

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can translate it for you.It says "The American committee for the devastated regions of France".Which was an organization founded by Ann Morgan the daughter of the late J.P.Morgan.Actually she founded the American Fund for French Wounded in 1917 to provide for civilian relief and care for battle wounded, then in March 1918 the org. divided and formed a second org. called, The American Committee for devastated France.I'm still looking for it's significance as a coin/token.I'm sure it has something to do with the American involvement in the rebuilding of Europe after WWI,France in particular.I'm still looking.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
amazing! This site rules! Where else can you get such quick and helpful responses to such things? That is just toooo cool! Awesome find halfdime!

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
I believe that the medal was awarded by the nation of France to persons serving on the AMERICAN COMMITTEE FOR DEVASTATED FRANCE, c. 1919-26:

The American Committee for Devastated France (ACDF) had its origins in the Civilian Division of the American Fund for French Wounded (est. 1916) and was organized in 1918 to provide emergency relief and restoration aid to the citizens of post-World War I France. Its original stated purpose was to establish a community center which would determine the needs of French citizens, and act as a liaison between them and American relief workers. The group was also to "further understanding and friendship between France and the United States."

The ACDF, staffed primarily by American women of a professional background, set out first to provide basic necessities: food, clothing, shelter and day care. Beginning in 1919, it concentrated on more constructive aid, such as vocational, educational, and physical training, providing farm equipment, housing and building restoration, public health facilities, libraries and scouting camps. The organization collected nearly five million dollars from over one million U.S. donors and members through canvassing and fund-raising benefits. ACDF received numerous awards, including the Gold Medal of French Reconnaissance (1920).

In March 1924, ACDF announced that it had completed its work and officially disbanded. All assets were liquidated and remitted to French organizations to carry on projects begun by ACDF, such as the Camp-École de Scoutisme and the Comité Francais de la Bibliothèque Moderne.

acdf.gif

The official insignia, taken from the gates of the Chateau at Blerancourt, where the American Committee began its work in France, in June, 1917.

Source: http://infoshare1.princeton.edu/libraries/firestone/rbsc/finding_aids/acdf.html

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Glad I could help, Halfdime... and congrats on a great find!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The "flying creature" is a griffin.

200px-Opinicus.gif

Medieval lore (Wikipedia)
A 9th-century Irish writer by the name of Stephen Scotus asserted that griffins were strictly monogamous. Not only did they mate for life, but if one partner died, the other would continue throughout the rest of its life alone, never to search for a new mate. The griffin was thus made an emblem of the Church's views on remarriage.

Being a union of a terrestrial beast and an aerial bird, it was seen in Christianity to be a symbol of Jesus Christ, who was both human and divine. As such it can be found sculpted on churches.[3]

The egg-laying habits of the female were first clearly described by St. Hildegard of Bingen, a German nun author of the 12th century. She outlined how the expectant mother would search out a cave with a very narrow entrance but plenty of room inside, sheltered from the elements. Here she would lay her three eggs (about the size of ostrich eggs), and stand guard over them.

According to Stephen Friar, a griffin's claw was believed to have medicinal properties and one of its feathers could restore sight to the blind.[3] Goblets fashioned from griffin claws (actually antelope horns) and griffin eggs (actually ostrich eggs) were highly prized in medieval European courts.[9]

By the 12th century the appearance of the griffin was substantially fixed: "All its bodily members are like a lion's, but its wings and mask are like an eagle's."[11] However, it is not yet clear if its forelimbs are the legs an eagle's or a lion's; although the description implies the latter, the accompanying illustration is ambiguous. It was left to the heralds to clarify that.

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Cool medal, lots of history behind that. Keep em coming!

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find! My search says it was awarded to volunteers such as nurses helping the French during WWII. PBK did a great job of research! HH, Mike

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic find, 1/2!!!!! :o Great research, ya'll! That site has had some terrific keepers!

Keep 'em coming!!!

Nana :)

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b
Very nice piece of history!! congrats.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread