silver ninja! UPDATE 12/5 - more dimes searched today.

AGninja

Dec 1, 2010
Check for latest updates at end of the thread :)

Im new to CRH - i have been following the prices of silver and gold for several years now (im a younger guy) and have watched both of them skyrocket. After some compelling research and just the general state of affairs in the world, im ever more drawn to the precious nature of shiny metals :D

I hate that its so expensive already though. Given that i knew what junk silver was, i decided id search to find if anyone else has already been doing what i had sought out to do in order to get some junk silver at face value.

and behold i came across this forum as well as some other resources for CRH.

So i picked up about 40 rolls of dimes at a local/regional bank branch. My lady and i split up the rolls to hunt, and we managed to pick out X10 roosevelts in our first serious attempt. They were all wrapped in paper so it was fun to hunt through. Previously in the week we picked up 15 rolls of quarters and a few rolls of dimes which were all in plastic. We didnt even need to open them to discover that there was not one drop of silver in any of it.

Needless to say after our first expedition that yielded some keepers, we're both hooked. (its our first mutual hobby haha)

I have a large order of halves placed at my local bank that i have an account with- im honestly a tad nervous about it since the value of having to reinsert them into the system is a lot more noticeable than a couple hunj worth of just dimes.

Any comments or tips would be greatly appreciated to help guide this gennin into profitable silver mining territory :)

-AGninj

Upvote 0

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: silver ninja's finds blog - im new to this

If you are near me, this whole site is a lie. If you aren't near me then I suggest you stay away from quarters. 99.999% of the time they are a waste of time. Dimes have been proving to be productive once in a while as you have seen for yourself. Halves started getting tough so some of us are searching more dimes.
When you go to dump your halves, try to split it between a few banks and not just one depending on how much you have. I dump 500 to a grand at one of my banks and don't get much feedback from them but I think if I started dumping 3-5 grand a week at the one bank, they would tire of it quickly. Congrats on your dime score.
Just a note; a woman will ALWAYS share a "blingy" hobby with you as long as you're finding stuff. ;D

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

Welcome! I like your screen name. Good luck in your search.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

Yes, if you dump, dump in small bunches. Not all at once at a place. Someone dumping $1000 in pennies at one bank pisses them off. Get bank accounts at different banks that have many different branches. This makes it easier to dump. If I have to go out of town, I look up bank in the area where I'm heading so I can dump there.

festiva_ford

Oct 22, 2010

Thats the same way I got into the hobby! I'm a younger guys to. Btw awesome account name!

festiva_ford

Oct 22, 2010

packerbacker said:
If you are near me, this whole site is a lie. If you aren't near me then I suggest you stay away from quarters. 99.999% of the time they are a waste of time. Dimes have been proving to be productive once in a while as you have seen for yourself. Halves started getting tough so some of us are searching more dimes.
When you go to dump your halves, try to split it between a few banks and not just one depending on how much you have. I dump 500 to a grand at one of my banks and don't get much feedback from them but I think if I started dumping 3-5 grand a week at the one bank, they would tire of it quickly. Congrats on your dime score.
Just a note; a woman will ALWAYS share a "blingy" hobby with you as long as you're finding stuff. ;D
Wait, i'm in nor cal too. What do you mean the site is a lie? You mean quarters in the bay area actualy produce? :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
A

AGninja

Dec 1, 2010

Well i picked up another 200$ worth of dimes at the same bank. All paper rolled. This time i split 20 rolls each between the lady and I because i suspect she sorts faster than I do. The funny part was the fact that all of her 20 had ZERO silver, the good news was that we found 5 silver roosevelts in the 20 rolls i had. Not as great as the last batch but i take it its still a pretty good ratio (probably higher than it should be, hopefully its not just beginners luck).

I found the oldest coin yet, a 1946 dime so i was excited, but im still hoping to come across a mercury dime, that would certainly make my day for sure.

Tomorrow (friday) im expecting my 1000$ worth of halves to arrive. Im not sure how im even going to get them out of the bank. Many of you describe them as 'boxes', well i hope they quite literally come in a box because that sounds somewhere in the realm of 50-60 lbs worth of coins to me! im a bit freaked out about dumping them, might do it slowly over a couple days at diff locations. Id like to be able to go through them fast, but its too soon to go that big i suppose.

Also im a bit afraid of meeting confrontation. I went to a PNC bank today to get rolls and they refused unless i had an account, so looks like that will be the next step for me.

Ill post back tomorrow with my first order of halves results.

JT10

Oct 29, 2010
The Mitten State

AGninja said:
Tomorrow (friday) im expecting my 1000$ worth of halves to arrive. Im not sure how im even going to get them out of the bank. Many of you describe them as 'boxes', well i hope they quite literally come in a box because that sounds somewhere in the realm of 50-60 lbs worth of coins to me! im a bit freaked out about dumping them, might do it slowly over a couple days at diff locations. Id like to be able to go through them fast, but its too soon to go that big i suppose.

Also im a bit afraid of meeting confrontation. I went to a PNC bank today to get rolls and they refused unless i had an account, so looks like that will be the next step for me.

Boxes of halves do come in a box, although the size depends on the carrier and your area, I believe. Dumping depends on the bank. I handroll all of mine due to not having any lobby coin machines in my area. I can bring $1000 to one bank and they won't blink an eye. Another one doesn't like it if I bring in more than $500.

I think it is PNC policy to not do cash transfers for non customers. Most credit unions that I am aware of have the same policy. At PNC it really depends on the branch whether they enforce it. I visit a half dozen branches in my area, and only one branch now refuses to sell me their halves.

OP
OP
A

AGninja

Dec 1, 2010

So i had 100$ in dimes to sort through that the lady had picked up off hand while out and about today, and i received my first two boxes of halves! I was really nervous about it all but we couldnt contain ourselves as we dug into it all.

First the dimes. In 20 rolls we were able to pick out 4 more roosevelts! not bad, in fact i have a blast searching for dimes, and they consistently yield.

Next, the brinks boxes of halves. I only turned up a total of 2 40% :( a '68 and a '67. One in each box.

We were both pretty disappointed by that. at least they werent skunks but it was a lot of work for just a smidge of silver. the one coin was really dirty at that.

Going to have to order my halves from a different bank next time.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

AGninja said:
So i had 100$ in dimes to sort through that the lady had picked up off hand while out and about today, and i received my first two boxes of halves! I was really nervous about it all but we couldnt contain ourselves as we dug into it all.

First the dimes. In 20 rolls we were able to pick out 4 more roosevelts! not bad, in fact i have a blast searching for dimes, and they consistently yield.

Next, the brinks boxes of halves. I only turned up a total of 2 40% :( a '68 and a '67. One in each box.

We were both pretty disappointed by that. at least they werent skunks but it was a lot of work for just a smidge of silver. the one coin was really dirty at that.

Going to have to order my halves from a different bank next time.

Its alot of Luck bro....I had an awesome box where i found around 30 silver halves...then had a couple boxes where i found nothing..you gotta do it for fun or its gonna kill you..funny thou..my lady is obsessed with it too..she gets mad if i start with ut her..lol...good luck man

Ltrain

Sep 13, 2010
Re: silver ninja's finds blog - Update - my first 2 brinks boxes...

Wow, dude, keep hammering those dimes. Halves are gonna be a waste of time wherever you are if you're only pulling a couple 40%'ers here and there... your average for dimes is awesome though... milk 'em til you drop to about 1 dime per $100.

conpewter

Aug 17, 2010
Illinois

A silver in each box is pretty good! CRH is a lot of work for a little silver, but that is why it is a hobby and not a profession :)

OP
OP
A

AGninja

Dec 1, 2010

Today was both a good day for establishing strategic pickup and dump locations, and a bad day for finding any keepers.

After doing some map hunting on the googles, it turns out there are a hell of a lot more banks around me than i think i ever realized? i cant see how that will be disadvantageous. I set up an account with bank that has coin sorters at every branch in the area, of which there are a handful within a 10 minute drive. i cozied up with the employees a bit at two locations, both younger crowds of people working as tellers, that were very helpful in assisting me to dump about 1K worth of dimes and halves split between the two branches. I have to have them 'man the machine' to help me sort each time because their halves bag only holds 100$ at a time. I was profusely thankful and apologetic to the tellers who all seem largely unphased by the large bags of coins i was brandishing. (i also learned that they do not sort 1$ coins - important discovery). Im hoping that i can strengthen my understanding with them so that they look forward to seeing me rather than getting annoyed in the future.

In my travels i stopped at 2 other banks to pick up about 330$ in dime rolls. Ive had a lot of success with them to start off with, so i was hoping to stay with it. Well sadly i was discouraged to have only found 2 roosevelts out of the lot of them. If it werent a saturday id probably be going to try to find more coin rolls, but alas the banks are closed.

I asked to order some boxes of halves at a different bank as well. Ive left them my contact info and i presume ill have to be the persistent one to get them to order for me. I dont have an account with them though so i am hoping they are one of those helpful banks that will do this for me without having to be a depositor.

Feeling a bit discouraged today considering all of the finds people are posting lately, but will stay the course. Just starting out after all.

Ltrain

Sep 13, 2010

AGninja said:
Today was both a good day for establishing strategic pickup and dump locations, and a bad day for finding any keepers.

After doing some map hunting on the googles, it turns out there are a hell of a lot more banks around me than i think i ever realized? i cant see how that will be disadvantageous. I set up an account with bank that has coin sorters at every branch in the area, of which there are a handful within a 10 minute drive. i cozied up with the employees a bit at two locations, both younger crowds of people working as tellers, that were very helpful in assisting me to dump about 1K worth of dimes and halves split between the two branches. I have to have them 'man the machine' to help me sort each time because their halves bag only holds 100$ at a time. I was profusely thankful and apologetic to the tellers who all seem largely unphased by the large bags of coins i was brandishing. (i also learned that they do not sort 1$ coins - important discovery). Im hoping that i can strengthen my understanding with them so that they look forward to seeing me rather than getting annoyed in the future.
TD Bank. :)

Where you located at, AG?

OP
OP
A

AGninja

Dec 1, 2010

Ltrain said:
TD Bank. :)

Where you located at, AG?

Southern Jersey - hope the competition isnt stiff here, heh.

OP
OP
A

AGninja

Dec 1, 2010
Re: silver ninja! UPDATE 12/4 - more dimes searched today.

got another 200$ in dimes today after a dump - found 2 roosevelt dimes today. one a '63 and the girl found our oldest dime yet at '48. thought we were gonna get skunked but pulled up 2 late in the peeling.

Going to order more halves and hope for some better luck on monday.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread