Silver prices on eBay - WTH???

STDevil

Jun 12, 2008
I was cruising eBay today, and saw that most junk silver is going to 10X face or even more. This was pretty surprising to me, given the present price of silver.

I suppose this either points to a bullish outlook on silver, or the old saying "people will buy anything".

Anyway, comments welcome...I just needed to say that, and since I have not seen a ton of activity on this board lately, I thought I would pour some gas on the fire.

Happy hunting - someone please post a "major find" soon!!!

Upvote 0

FCCDFEd

Sep 29, 2007
Terra Bella, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its been my experience from ebay that the hype seems to take over the common sense when it comes to older silver coins. I have been buying silver eagles and doing a little better but still have to be careful not to get suckered in to the hype.

fccdfed

AFModell

Feb 27, 2006
DE
Ebay is pretty good at representing what the populace is doing. Also, the spot price of silver is beginning to be meaningless and decoupled from the actual price for physical silver. If you cant find physical silver at spot...its a good buy.

Bean

Aug 3, 2008
Georgia
I dont know when we'll be able to go by the spot price again, I think what you see on ebay is the free market price.
Ebay is NOT the best place but, it is the largest market place out there right now and it is about the only place you can get some
silver unless you can afford 1000 oz. bars.
Apmex was selling silver eagles for about $4 dollars over spot yesterday and they sold out really quick.
They always say that its only worth what somebody will pay you for it and right now it seems that its about $15-18 per oz.
If you have a coin dealer near you that sells at around spot I say buy it all. I dont so I have to crh or turn to ebay when I need
my silver fix.

Bean

packfan_1982

Jun 22, 2008
Omaha NE
Detector(s) used
F70 / ACE 250
I have to concur with the above posts, ebay represents what the market values silver at. Granted if you are buying it can be hard to justify paying that much over spot for it, and there is "speculation" that the physical market will soon follow the paper market.

I also found a '51 ben, 3 40%ers and a short roll in two boxes today. Hows that for a big haul!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread