Silver sniped before my eyes!

red89

Feb 28, 2012
'Murica
Primary Interest:
Other
Saw a silver half in a teller tray along with about 10 clad halves so I asked to buy them all. She picked them up pulled out the silver and was going to hand me just the clad. It was a Walking Liberty half in pretty good shape....would have been my first walker found CRHing but she "reserved" it for herself...

Anyway, found 2 other 40%ers today, one from about 300 MWRs and another from a teller tray (different bank than the one that had the walker). I am 3 40%ers away from hitting 50 this year already my goal is 150 40%ers by the end of the year (plus 20 90%ers and at least a few of those being walking liberties.)

Oh well, at least my skunk streak was broken for halves finally, it's been 4-ish weeks since I have found a silver half. Any day finding silver is a good day...even if you got silver sniped I guess haha.

Upvote 0

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally I find it very unprofessional when they do that. They can snipe all the coins they want for all I care ( I would do it if I were a banker), but if they haven't sniped them yet and you come in and ask for them, it's too late, you win. A BofA teller did that to me once; first she wouldn't sell me halves or eisenhower dollars (said they were "reserved"), which wasn't a big deal, but then I asked for $2's, and she sorted through the entire stack before she gave them to me. I just find it kind of rude. They should snipe when customers are not watching

ParisRoubaix

Mar 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unacceptable, I'd make a stink and would not buy the other clad off her, all or nothing. Then I'd bring it up with the Branch Manager. If she is going to "reserve" it for herself, she better get it out of her tray before I see it. That is if I had an account there....
PR

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unacceptable, I'd make a stink and would not buy the other clad off her, all or nothing. Then I'd bring it up with the Branch Manager. If she is going to "reserve" it for herself, she better get it out of her tray before I see it. That is if I had an account there....
PR

X100
even if I didn't have an account I would involve the bank manager. unacceptable practice.
get it before, not when a customer asks. I would cause one heck of a stink! :)

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
PR

X100
even if I didn't have an account I would involve the bank manager. unacceptable practice.
My years of roll hunting experience have shown me that it's not worth it. Remember, if you have an account there, you have to show your face time and time again...and if you p*ss them off, you may get cut off from buying or dumping completely, believe me.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ya its just one silver and while it sucks, its part of the game, not every teller is rosie red cheeks.

If it was multiple rolls or a full tray etc it might be worth trying.

GEOFF

Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PR

X100
My years of roll hunting experience have shown me that it's not worth it. Remember, if you have an account there, you have to show your face time and time again...and if you p*ss them off, you may get cut off from buying or dumping completely, believe me.

x2

FFD is spot on.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
don't complain if you don't have an account, i actually felt pity on you yesterday.

OP
OP
red89

red89

Feb 28, 2012
'Murica
Primary Interest:
Other
I am going to dump all my coins there for a few months once I open an account (and I know people say you shouldn't dump all coins at one place). Which compared to most people isn't much, maybe a little over $1000 or $1500 a month. I used to have an account at with Wells Fargo, and I had actually opened an account at the branch that it happened at a few uears ago, but I closed it about a year ago when I opened a new account at another bank that had less fees for college students. They didn't know I didn't have an account with them at the time of the sniping though...so they probably do this to their own customers all the time. I think reguardless if a person goes in to a bank and asks for coins, they shouldn't sort through them before handing them out. I was acutally going to cash a wells fargo check today so I had to go back into a wells fargo anyway, and I figured I would cash it in coins rather than bills.

SilverMan86

May 9, 2012
NYC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree it is incredibly rude to look for silver while your customer is just standing there. Some people are so rude! I went to TD once, and deposited my nickels into the penny arcade. They had to open it up cause the bag was full. I saw four silver dimes sitting in a little baggie, and I asked if I could buy them. This lady didn't even look me in the eyes and said "you can't have those, they are not yours" like I was some kind of idiot. People these days....

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree it is incredibly rude to look for silver while your customer is just standing there. Some people are so rude! I went to TD once, and deposited my nickels into the penny arcade. They had to open it up cause the bag was full. I saw four silver dimes sitting in a little baggie, and I asked if I could buy them. This lady didn't even look me in the eyes and said "you can't have those, they are not yours" like I was some kind of idiot. People these days....
Unreal, sometimes people suck.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other

I agree, it's just not worth it.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try to look at it from the tellers point of view , they are working for chicken scratch - somebody comes in and lays a little silver on them - it feels like
a treat to them - they very often are young mothers , maybe single mom's at that - let them enjoy a treat ! I had this exact scenario play out in front
of me yesterday - I went to a bank to pick up a single box of halves - I spotted a silver dime and three silver quarters in the teller tray - asked if i could
purchase them , she politely told me that she was saving them because they are silver -I was disappointed to be sure , but I just asked her if from now
on she would put them in her teller drawer and spare us (client/ collectors) the pain of rejection . To her credit she said she had some partial silvers that
she would sell me - picked up two 40%ers for a buck ! and 4 more in my box . Let the tellers win too - it's a win win for all ! Argentium.

hyperHunter

Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PR

Agreed. Happened to my little man today.

My boy: Ma'am do you happen to have any 50 cent pieces?
Teller1: Yes, we do honey. I have $1.50 and a lolly pop, too.
Teller2: I have $1.50, too.
My boy: ;D Can I please buy them all? Here're 3 dollars.
Teller1: Yes, honey...here you go....also asked her coworker to hand the other 50 cent piece.
Teller2: Opps...now I have $1. I need to keep this one for myself....sorry kid.
My Boy: :sadsmiley:
Me: :dontknow:

Last edited:

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Had that happen to me at a bank. Raised hell with the Manager, got the halve (1964) and lets say that is my new dump bank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread