silver solder...50 lbs of it

catdriver

Jul 12, 2008
I have 2-25 lb spools of silver solder I bought from a salvage freight auction I wanna sell. It is .064 dia. wire. I believe it was used to solder copper tubing together for a faucet manufacturer.

It was made by prince izant company in Cleveland, Ohio.

Nows comes the good part, this particular solder only has 2 materials in it. The stickers on the spools say

96.5 SN (tin) an 3.5 AG (silver) There is NO lead in this solder

This means that there is about 48 1/2 lbs pure of tin an 1 1/2 lb of pure silver in it.

The last time I looked a few days back tin was about $22,000.00 per ton, which makes in roughly $11 a lb. an $18 give or take a little for an oz of silver.

Only thing is though, it needs seperated to sell I guess.

Where can I go with it? If anybody here is interested I can send you a small piece to test if you would like. (serious inquires only) though.

Ron B.
Lake of The Ozarks.
Missouri

Attachments

• lathe 004.JPG
    lathe 004.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 1,566

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Being in the field (electronics that is), I wonder if it would be worth more if you were to sell it to an assembly house as actual solder, instead of trying to separate it for silver value. Google "PCB assembly" in your hometown, and give them a call. If they don't want it, ask if they know of any other assembly houses in your town that might.

OP
OP
C

catdriver

Jul 12, 2008
Thats a thought, I'll call around tomorrow an see what I can do.

Thanx,
Ron :)

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ID try to find a place that can use it, its worth far more as a finished product than to separate it out, no one is going to pay for tin value if they are a PM recycler. Solder can be expensive stuff, I think it would be worth the phone calls and research to find a buyer.

OP
OP
C

catdriver

Jul 12, 2008
jewelerdave said:
ID try to find a place that can use it, its worth far more as a finished product than to separate it out, no one is going to pay for tin value if they are a PM recycler. Solder can be expensive stuff, I think it would be worth the phone calls and research to find a buyer.

Tell ya what Dave, if you want I can send you a sample of this silver solder. I'll make ya a deal..... You melt it, seperate it, send me the silver back an you can keep the 48 1/2 lbs of pure tin out of it. Thats about $533.00 worth of pure tin at todays prices.

If interested post me back

Ronnie

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
I'd be interested in solder, but lack funds.

Depending upon price you paid, it might be worthwhile to parcel up in, say, 30ft rolls, or something like that.
Weigh it, of course...

Offer it on a jewelry forum, or craigslist.
I've heard the bay is becoming cost - prohibitive.

Either way, if you bought it right, it won't hurt for it to sit on a shelf in the garage.

Always good to keep your eyes open!
Best

OP
OP
C

catdriver

Jul 12, 2008
rmptr said:
I'd be interested in solder, but lack funds.

Depending upon price you paid, it might be worthwhile to parcel up in, say, 30ft rolls, or something like that.
Weigh it, of course...

Offer it on a jewelry forum, or craigslist.
I've heard the bay is becoming cost - prohibitive.

Either way, if you bought it right, it won't hurt for it to sit on a shelf in the garage.

Always good to keep your eyes open!
Best

Heck, I'll probably just let it set, its been out in the garage for about 2-3 years now anyway.

I don't do ebay, not smart enough to mess with it, an don't trust the B****rds that run it anyway....LOL

Ronnie-The Toolman

goldsilverpro

May 31, 2007
It would cost way more for a refiner to refine it than the silver content. You would end up owing him money. What you basically have is contaminated tin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread