Silver uMax has arrived...SCORES right off the bat!

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
Talk about a great surprise! I just got my new Silver uMax today in the mail and tried it with the stock coil for only 10 minutes in my front yard, and I've already found a silver ring!

Also found one 1964 penny and what looks to be a fragment of a toy gun?

I'm gonna like this machine. :)

Here are some photos below, some just after digging up and after cleaning a bit with water and toothbrush. Apparently it was a child's ring, made by Avon. Not sure what the gemstones are...the name is eluding me at the moment. Regardless, a very pretty ring. Not bad for the first time out!

Ray

Attachments

• silver_ring_hole.jpg
    silver_ring_hole.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 547
  • silver_ring_925.jpg
    silver_ring_925.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 542
  • sivler_ring_avon.jpg
    sivler_ring_avon.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 540
  • silver_ring_palm.jpg
    silver_ring_palm.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 546
  • silver_ring_clean1.jpg
    silver_ring_clean1.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 540
  • toy_fragment.jpg
    toy_fragment.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 539
Upvote 0

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding little ring! I have heard a lot of good things about the umax. Enjoy. ;)

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ray,
From a fellow Tesoro Silver Umax user, "CONGRATS" on the wonderful ring. There will be many more great finds in store for you with that Tesoro.
It will pay for itself in no time. I added a 9x8 DD coil to mine for added depth.
"TESORO RULES!!!" ;D
-MM-

OP
OP
Ray in CA

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Thanks, folks!

MM, yes, I got the 12x10 spider coil as well, but I figured I'd try out the stock coil first just to see how it would do and then the spider coil at a specific spot that I want to hunt tomorrow with the silver.

The ring was approximately 4" deep and gave a good solid tone and was easy to pinpoint.

Just a question for you since it's been so long since I used a tesoro uMax. But if I recall correctly, when one sets the discrimination to block out zinc pennies, silver coins can still be detected, correct? At least that's how my mind remembers it when I had my Bandido II uMax.

Ray

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ray in CA said:
Thanks, folks!

MM, yes, I got the 12x10 spider coil as well, but I figured I'd try out the stock coil first just to see how it would do and then the spider coil at a specific spot that I want to hunt tomorrow with the silver.

The ring was approximately 4" deep and gave a good solid tone and was easy to pinpoint.

Just a question for you since it's been so long since I used a tesoro uMax. But if I recall correctly, when one sets the discrimination to block out zinc pennies, silver coins can still be detected, correct? At least that's how my mind remembers it when I had my Bandido II uMax.

Ray

Ray,
Your memory serves you well. That is correct. Even before I bought the 9x8 DD coil the Umax did great in stock form. Be ready to find LOTS of relics too. ;)
Congrats on your purchase.
-MM-

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
SWEET RING! I think you are going to like that machine, at least you're starting off right.

OP
OP
Ray in CA

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Thanks MM and piggman1! Tomorrow we shall see, hopefully, just how deep the 12x10 can go! That is, if I can get it over any good targets.

Ray

OP
OP
Ray in CA

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
kg6yll said:
Diamonds, I like it.

Not convinced they are diamonds. The stones are actually a yellow-lime green color. There is a gemstone like that but the name is right on the tip of my tongue. I've actually worked with it before, and it's killing me that I can't remember. And, being an Avon ring, I'm sure they are most likely synthetic.

But all those stones do make for a cute ring, and a happy first find. :)

Ray

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Can't get better than that, 10 minutes and already scoring silver!! Sweet!!!

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Great finds Ray!

I've been telling folks about the uMax for a long time now. It's a really great detector.

That stock coil is great but get a 12x10 concentric sometime. You'll get about 4 more inches of depth on coins and it works just as well in trash as the stock coil.

I've dug indian cents in the 10 inch range with my Silver and 12x10.

That Silver is a winner. The only machine I'd rate deeper would be the Minelab Sovereign GT. But the Silver is much faster and smoother.

Badger

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice ring and Tesoros make a good detector.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Ray in CA said:
The stones are actually a yellow-lime green color. There is a gemstone like that but the name is right on the tip of my tongue. I've actually worked with it before, and it's killing me that I can't remember. And, being an Avon ring, I'm sure they are most likely synthetic.

But all those stones do make for a cute ring, and a happy first find. :)

Ray

Are you refering to peridot?

OP
OP
Ray in CA

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Thanks Bill, MD & Jack!

Stoney, yes! Peridot!!! In my head I was thinking "Peroit" but I KNEW that was wrong. Thanks for refreshing my memory!

Ray

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find and congrats on the new detector. Hope your not just looking for coins that are not pennies.
I found a new penny that was a mis stuck, only because I pick up all good signals and sometimes not so good signals. When I'm hunting a site that is producing good finds and little trash, I dig all signals. You will be surprised at what your going to find.

Again, Congrats on your first finds with your new detector.

HH, Ringfinder

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find Ray---You are going to like that tesoro.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions