Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Managed to get out two more times since my last week-end's post. The heat isn't getting any better so both times I could only detect not more than for a few hours.
The finds weren't numerous but they weren't lacking in quality.

1839 British Six Pence (British silver seems to be rarer than Spanish where I'm at)

20190803_141628.jpg20190803_141645 - Copie.jpg

An other silver was a modern one, Canada 5 Cents 1912

20190804_193742 - Copie.jpg20190804_193731 - Copie.jpg

Got two nice military buttons as well.

My favorite is the American Revolutionary War - British 20th Regiment of foot coat sized button. When I found it, I thought that all hope was lost. After 250 years in the ground, the iron shank burst through the pewter right at the center of the relic. But I believe I did a good restoration job on it. I managed to clean most of the iron and sealed the button afterwards. Here's the before and after pic.

20190804_124333.jpg20190804_1751302.jpg

My second button was 75 years younger. British 77th Regiment of foot from 1850's,that one didn't need any restoration.

20190802_153832.jpg

Strangely, the only copper of the hunt was my 3rd Flying Eagle 1857 in a so-so shape

20190803_141151 - Copie.jpg

Thanks for the comments.

Last edited:
Upvote 48
Awesome Rev button!!! We dont get to dig them in that shape very often, if at all.

For your 3rd. FE !!!! not so bad A :notworthy: Great dig's !! I have only dug a 1950 silver something 25c piece Canadian.

Great finds my friend that button is in great shape cool stuff keep rippin Tommy

Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Good restoration job? :icon_scratch: You must kidding us? That Rev. War button looks fantastic! :hello2: Congrats to you!

Those are some outstanding finds! Looks like a really fun detecting trip. That restoration is incredible on that Revolutionary War button. What method did you use to restore it?

The usual, good variety including at least one great find!

Nice cleaning job, what did you use?

Those are some outstanding finds! Looks like a really fun detecting trip. That restoration is incredible on that Revolutionary War button. What method did you use to restore it?

Thanks VTColonialDigger. I was pretty sure the button was gone, but since it wasn't flaked decided to take a few risks. I soaked it for a few minutes in water mixed with a good amount of baking soda, than rinced while trying to loosen the rusted spot. Repeated a few times until the rust chunk became brittle and I could remove it. Than finished it with AndrΓ©'s Pencils and sealed with a thin layer of Renaissance Wax a few times. I used pretty much the same technique I have developed in Europe while cleaning the low silver content billon coins.

Nice work on the finds and restores...

Thanks VTColonialDigger. I was pretty sure the button was gone, but since it wasn't flaked decided to take a few risks. I soaked it for a few minutes in water mixed with a good amount of baking soda, than rinced while trying to loosen the rusted spot. Repeated a few times until the rust chunk became brittle and I could remove it. Than finished it with AndrΓ©'s Pencils and sealed with a thin layer of Renaissance Wax a few times. I used pretty much the same technique I have developed in Europe while cleaning the low silver content billon coins.

Wow, I will definitely have to try that cleaning process out some time, it works great!

Wow, I will definitely have to try that cleaning process out some time, it works great!

I wouldn't try it on flaked buttons. But it does seem to work if the iron chunk isn't completely fused with pewter. At the end, the OOO steel wool pencil does a great job removing any orange coloring on the pewter, I use it with a bit of distilled water.

That 20th Regiment button is a real looker now. Great restoration :thumbsup:

Very productive hunt, congrats! :occasion14:

Nice finds! What part of Canada/USA are you digging?

Your new silver is from 1912? Lol. That's an oldie to me. Way to go on more nice finds Aureus. Pretty soon we're just going to have to give you your own forum with the quality and quantity of finds you're pulling in.

Those are some cool and historical buttons.
Great stuff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back