Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silverfreak's got a NEW pic...5 Hour hunt gave me LOTS of goodies today

Well niterider_58 and I were supposed to hunt today...but he punked me out. ??? Something called "work" he said. ;D
While he is still waiting on his minelab pro coil which seems to have been on backorder since the summer of '67 ;D ....I'm still cruisin' along with the SEF and 1050. Seriously though..I can't wait for his coil to come in so we can do some side by side comparisons...but heck...I just hope I'm not to old to hunt by the time it gets here. ::)
I ventured to see my parents today and visited a park that still produces after 30 years of poundin'. Problem is that it's about to become "off limits" because other hunters keep leaving holes and NOT filling them in. >:( It sure as heck isn't me...because I only get to hunt there 2 or 3 times each year. I had 2 different town people come up and tell me there have been some people hunting it quite often...and that they were leaving big holes. Because of this...the town is considering passing an ordinance banning detecting. :'( Wonderful....I now may not even be able to hunt my OWN hometown park because people are coming in all the time and NOT filling in their holes. >:( Hey... parks are fair game to anyone...so have a good time ...and good luck hunting. However...if you're going to leave unfilled holes...and mess things up for the rest of us....PLEASE STAY OUT OF MY PARK. >:( >:( >:(
Sorry for venting...but I can't stand it when hunters leave unfilled holes and just toss their trash next to the unfilled hole. It takes about 2 seconds to stick the trash into your pouch...then throw it away at the end of the hunt. I won't even hunt with people who leave the place in worse condition than when we got there. I always do my best to fill my holes in...so I guess I just expect everyone else to try and do the same. I can't tell you how many holes that were left by other hunters...that I stopped to fill. I also lost count of the amount of trash from other hunters that I stuck into my pouch because they had left it next to a messy hole. >:(
Anyway...other than that it was a nice 5 hours with pretty steady ...but deep, iffy signals. I got a SWEET silver pocket spill at 9" which turned out to be a 1919 Merc and a 1914 Barber dime. :thumbsup: The signal really jumped around ...but stayed in the high tone...so I think one of them was on edge.
About 20 minutes later I got another goofy hit...but again it pretty much stayed high tone. The cursor also skipped around the top right for the most part...so I dug. Out popped 2 wheaties. I ran the probe in the hole again...and got a nice very high hit. Out popped the 1942 merc. Two multi coin holes in one hunt...pretty cool. :D
I then came upon a 20 foot section that was full of pulltabs...but they were deep...so I concentrated and listened for anything that peeped. Well...after finishing that 20 foot section...I had 2 1800's injuns in my pouch ...along with a third 1902 injun. :thumbsup:
Plugged along for another couple of hours and popped out a couple more wheaties and the silver roosey...all from 7" to 8".
Right before quitting...I got a sweet high tone bouncer...but the signal stayed sweet all the way around the hole. I dug down about 8" and then ran the probe. I got a solid high squeaker...so dug down another 2" and out popped the 1926 merc from 10" down. :thumbsup: A nice way to end the hunt. I ended up with 5 silver...3 injuns...and a handful of wheaties. I can only hope it isn't the last time I get to hunt the park. Problem is ...when people don't fill in their holes...we all know it ruins it for the rest of us.

Attachments

• coins78.jpg
    coins78.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,427
Upvote 0
OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Silverfreak's got a NEW pic...5 Hour hunt gave me LOTS of goodies today

Ramapirate said:
You are my new hero! That one picture represents pretty much my best finds to date. I need to find some of these old parks like you cats dig in. We have a couple of sort of old parks in Charlotte, N.C. and I've found several mercs at one of them, but nothing like that.
I can relate to what you are saying about the holes some people leave. It makes me sick. I spend more time cleaning up other peoples messes than I spend detecting.
Keep hunting, you are finding some great stuff!!

Ramapirate
Thanks buddy. If you're findin' mercs...then you will start poppin' out barbers and injuns too :thumbsup:

Marc(NB) said:
love the patina on the IH! The ones I dig up here are in rough shape,great silvers! :thumbsup:
Thanks Marc. The soil was kind to these.

Mr_Mojo_Risin said:
The trash pickin' served you well- sounds like you could do no wrong. Some days I couldn't hit a donkey in the arse with a banjo and you hit paydirt. GFY
Thanks mojo

hogge said:
Nice finds in a well hunted park! Nothing I hate worse than a "dirty hole". Cleaning up after someone...(aka) Sloppy Seconds. LOL.... Hang in there Silver! :thumbsup:
Thanks hogge. I'll keep on swingin' as long as I'm allowed.

jgas said:
Now that is some great digs. Wow, keep it up. jgas :)
Thanks jgas

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

notgittinenny said:
We had problems like that in our county parks, a bunch of us TH'ers got together and went to a county free-for-all meeting and discussed with them, about the possibility of issuing permits, so that the parks would not be closed. Well, 10 years ago they issued metal detecting permits and only $5.00 a year. I have been out in these parks doing other things with my family and have watched this guy digging holes all over and not refilling them. When he went to his car for a cold beer, I got his plate number, and got ahold of the county cops. They came and started to watch him at my request, well the guy saw the cop and went to his car to leave, the cop pulled him over and started to tell him what he saw him doig, and while the cop was giving him the 3rd. degree, he saw an open cold beer right next to the driver, and busted him for that too. He made the guy go back into the park, fill his holes, even ground hog holes, squirrel holes! Anyways the guy went to jail for the open beer in the car, and was fined $500.00 for the damages, and the cop said " I don't ever want to see you in my park ever again" YeeeeeHaaaaaaw! BTW, nice finds :thumbsup:
Thanks buddy...and thanks for the response. It sounds like your situation worked out well :thumbsup:

Derek752 said:
SilverKing :icon_king: SilverJester :icon_jokercolor: SilverRocker :headbang: SilverLover :love7: SilverFreak :toothy4: Dude your a magnet for silver coins man !!! Like a runaway silver bullet freight train :o

Way Ta Go :icon_thumleft: :thumbsup: :icon_thumright:

No more tye - dye ???????? ??? :icon_scratch:

Derek 8)
Thanks Derek. I just might have to take another pic in a different Tie dye shirt before long ;D

Felinepeachy said:
Wooooo Hooooo :wav: The silver is really nice and I can't wait to find some myself but I absolutely love IH pennies. They are so pretty and yours have a very nice patina. :thumbsup:
Thanks buddy

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Another great hunt Silver :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Man you had a sweet day!!! Reguardless if im hunting out in the middle of the woods I still cover up my holes!!! I hope they don't ban MD'ng in your home town park...

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

t-bucket said:
Bryce,WTG on the finds.The IH look like the ground was good to them.Glad to see you out and having good hunts.I dont know if I will know you when we get to hunt again.I bet you head get cold at night.I know when I shaved mine I like to froze to death.Bet it is a lot cooler now.Have a good one and good luck on your next hunt.If you want to hunt come down and we hit the park we went to.It a big park with a lot of hunting.
Thanks G. I got a big nasty sunburn on the top of my head yesterday ;D One of these days I'll hook up with you guys for some diggin'

notgittinenny said:
BELL RINGIN"?
Yes sir ;D

time4me said:
That's a great return for your five hours of hunting! Awesome digs!
Thanks T4

curbdiggercarl57 said:
That's a real good haul, love the Barbers!
CurbdiggerCarl
Thanks Carl

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Digginman said:
I truly envy your draw to the silver, Bryce. You are a gifted researcher and hunter. Those coins would fill out a week for me, you do it in hours.

Congrats.

DM
Thanks DM. I appreciate the kind words. I just wish some people would have a little more respect for the hobby and take care of their holes and messes...but some people just have no common sense. ???

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Merf said:
Another great hunt Silver :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks Merf

jorge del norte said:
as for a RANT thats cool...

this is why we need to post "junk and iron" more often.....so new guys/girls will see what we dig and clean up...

but I admit when i first started....i had a desire to chuck the junk iron in the bushes till i got a apron.....i now enjoy filling my junk side of my apron, and now look for trash cans nearby at every site...
i always was pretty good about filling my holes.....and a "dirt mat" makes that even easier....
but it is a let down when you even see a squirrel hole...HA HA
Very good point...thanks for responding.

jraven said:
Awesome hunt... Sweet coins!!!!!!!!!! Hey! What happened to the tie die? :-[ I like the new shirt , but the tie die looked better on you.... ;D j/k

HH
Thanks Jraven. I just might take a new pic in a different tie dye shirt ;D

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bryce,
What an awesome hunt. :thumbsup: Great variety. Congrats on the silver & IH's. It's neat when you find two different types of the same denomination coin (Merc & Barber dimes) in the same hole. I think I've only had that happen twice so far.
Sorry to see others trashing that park. That sucks!
Have a great w/end.
-MM-

jraven

Jun 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705

That's a nice Harley Tie Dye shirt! ;D

PJ in WI

Mar 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
EXPLORER SE and an ACE 250

Silverfreak. I've had my se for a little over a month and just bought the 11 inch coil. When your digging the injuns what kind of sound are you getting and where is the reading at. Congrats on your finds. You always seem to find way more than your fair share. PJ

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ModernMiner said:
Bryce,
What an awesome hunt. :thumbsup: Great variety. Congrats on the silver & IH's. It's neat when you find two different types of the same denomination coin (Merc & Barber dimes) in the same hole. I think I've only had that happen twice so far.
Sorry to see others trashing that park. That sucks!
Have a great w/end.
-MM-
Thanks MM. I think that was only the second time for me too. If I see them fellers' leaving said mess in my park with my own eyes...there's gonna' be a problem :wink:

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jraven said:
That's a nice Harley Tie Dye shirt! ;D
Thanks....Yep...I had my girlfriend take a a pic with the new flattop...but in the old tie dye shirt too...so I have 3 different avatars. No...four...cause' I had her take one of me wearing shades too ;D

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

PJ in WI said:
Silverfreak. I've had my se for a little over a month and just bought the 11 inch coil. When your digging the injuns what kind of sound are you getting and where is the reading at. Congrats on your finds. You always seem to find way more than your fair share. PJ
Thanks PJ. Injuns usually have a unique tone all their own...but it still sounds like a penney for the most part. I hunt in the smartfind screen...and about 4 out of every 5 injuns I dig start a little over an inch down the right side of the screen...then jump left upwards...kind of like walking up stairs....or just jump straight left towards the center.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

As I said in previous posts, your living up to your name ;D Thems some nice finds :thumbsup:

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX

Bryce great finds... What you mentioned is happening all over.... I was at a school and within 5 minutes of leaving the tot lot and going behind the bleachers...someone from the school approached me last week and said... "Sorry the playground (totlot) is fine for you to check, but someone else came by with one of those things and left large holes everywhere. First time I have been asked to leave anywhere! I left with my ninety cents in clad... >:(

I also have noticed several new hunters in my area this summer and have seen same large uncovered or not properly filled holes... It is a shame but I think newbies need to take a second look at making sure you cannot tell you have been digging at all. I can understand why the groundskeepers, security and park directors are getting upset... :(

Larsmed

Jan 10, 2007
Greencovesprings, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Silver

dude way to go n those finds!! Your having a great year!!! and the look is good too man!

Larry

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5

There my friends is a true professional metal detecorist. One who can go to a well worked park and come back with finds like that, and who respects the properties he's digging. Code of Ethics my friends. My hats off to you, congratulations.

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

crazyjarhead said:
As I said in previous posts, your living up to your name ;D Thems some nice finds :thumbsup:
Thanks CJH...I appreciate the kind words.

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DFX-SE Gregg said:
Bryce great finds... What you mentioned is happening all over.... I was at a school and within 5 minutes of leaving the tot lot and going behind the bleachers...someone from the school approached me last week and said... "Sorry the playground (totlot) is fine for you to check, but someone else came by with one of those things and left large holes everywhere. First time I have been asked to leave anywhere! I left with my ninety cents in clad... >:(

I also have noticed several new hunters in my area this summer and have seen same large uncovered or not properly filled holes... It is a shame but I think newbies need to take a second look at making sure you cannot tell you have been digging at all. I can understand why the groundskeepers, security and park directors are getting upset... :(
You're right Gregg. It's a load of horse pucky the way some people are ruining it for the rest of us. Like you feel...I feel the same...from what I saw at my park...heck I wouldn't allow any more hunting either ??? I'll tell you what though...if I see people leaving the mess I saw with my own eyes...and actually catch 'em in the act...there's gonna be a problem :wink:

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

daytondigger said:
There my friends is a true professional metal detecorist. One who can go to a well worked park and come back with finds like that, and who respects the properties he's digging. Code of Ethics my friends. My hats off to you, congratulations.
Thanks D.D.....I only wish other people had some of the same respect...before we lose more sites to the ones who don't fill in their holes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread