Simple question, what’s state are metal detecting friendly

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This question is rather serious for those that are considering detecting along the eastern coastline from Delaware to Florida. There are people on this site from all over the United States and world. So please update us on the latest changes and what states are still detecting friend and which ones are not. I’m beginning to here stories of push back or other just because reasons. Please go ahead America, tell us your state and the reasoning behind such stupid rule oppression, you call it what you may but something going on here or about to be, thankyou

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
None are friendly. You will need a private permission. Exceptions are: NY, you need a permit in advance for NYC parks. Ocean City, NJ is ok, check on the seasons for when MD'ing is allowed. Delaware allows detecting at the swim areas only at Lums Pond State Park, and Delaware Seashores State Park and Rehoboth Beach, MD has Ocean city detecting and detecting beach only at Gunpowder state park and Sandy Point State Park, check for seasons and times allowed. Virginia allows at Virginia Beach. Most towns and counties while they do not have a specific law against detecting, make it illegal to disturb the ground or any greenery. Grass. Anything. So it's a beach or a private permission.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This question is rather serious for those that are considering detecting along the eastern coastline from Delaware to Florida. There are people on this site from all over the United States and world. So please update us on the latest changes and what states are still detecting friend and which ones are not. I’m beginning to here stories of push back or other just because reasons. Please go ahead America, tell us your state and the reasoning behind such stupid rule oppression, you call it what you may but something going on here or about to be, thankyou

All is well in Louisiana

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting seasons and times, does that mean fall, winter, spring, summer, daylight to sundown. Smokey what’s the deal, respecting the beach goers, wear headphones, stay responsible distance apart. How about North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, yes I understand the property rights exclusion to the sunken ships off sure. But what’s the issue or problems understanding what just mention, what the hell if they are going to be this particular why don’t they offer a seasonal or yearly permit pass, Christ they can make more money to waste. Am I missing something or is this hobby under some sort of cancellation long term. This is why I write so many posts because I want to no what the hells going on, wake up tomorrow turn in all your gold and silver and detectors to. What’s the bottom line guys

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truth , you still allowed to have some Louisiana Saturday nights or is that the old days, thanks

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandy Point State Park and Gunpowder State Park in MD have specific rules. All other parks are off limits always. Between Memorial Day weekend and Labor Day, you can detect at Sandy Point SP near Annapolis between the hours of 6 am and 9 am ONLY. Not the rest of the day. After Labor Day and before the beginning of Memorial Day weekend, you can detect both parks anytime.

For specifics, google the place you want to go. Every place has its own specific rules.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokey you the man, it’s getting really tough to deal with this America you no, yep

Ed_DE

Feb 23, 2019
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
None are friendly. You will need a private permission. Exceptions are: NY, you need a permit in advance for NYC parks. Ocean City, NJ is ok, check on the seasons for when MD'ing is allowed. Delaware allows detecting at the swim areas only at Lums Pond State Park, and Delaware Seashores State Park and Rehoboth Beach, MD has Ocean city detecting and detecting beach only at Gunpowder state park and Sandy Point State Park, check for seasons and times allowed. Virginia allows at Virginia Beach. Most towns and counties while they do not have a specific law against detecting, make it illegal to disturb the ground or any greenery. Grass. Anything. So it's a beach or a private permission.

Lums Pond stopped metal detecting at the swim area a couple years back.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ed1877, hmmm, I just read that it's ok on their web site. I'm sure you're right, always best to do your homework, however that being said, you can also open a "can of worms" by asking. I know a lot of places have let their website slip this last year. I went to sign up for a nature trip, and the site hadn't been updated in a year.

Last edited:

Ed_DE

Feb 23, 2019
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ed1877, hmmm, I just read that on their web site. Sure you're right, always best to do your homework, however that being said, you can also open a "can of worms" by asking.

Smokey , I go to Lums pond all the time. I stop at there office to ask about metal detecting @ the swim area and they to me it's not allowed any more.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad your going good truth it gives you opportunity to live a life that’s full and rewarding, appreciate the kind words and great job in your battles ,you the man stay strong we all need the strength to survive to much going wrong

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pennsylvania is metal detecting friendly, except for State Game Lands. There are some of us who don't detect beaches

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right some of us don’t detect large beaches because we live to far away, so in pa we do parks, fields, local lake shoreline and woods so, it’s friendly here yep so far.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread