Sioux quartzite - #4 Hafted front Scrapers

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Mr. Creekside,
I am confused, did I write something about the finds here on our farm or elsewhere that made you think I was talking out of both sides of my mouth? Perhaps suggesting something that was not? If so, I apologize.

I am 65 now and my focus is this farm as I am not as agile as I might have been a few years ago And it is "easy" since I can just walk out my back door.
This place and the area around us is now my focus.
And, since we live here now, we like checking out the stuff right here.
If you all think I am sending mixed signals, I will joyfully move along.

BTW, thanks for the great reminder about old dry springs. I took time yesterday and located another one in a spot I had not looked. There were lots of chips, flakes and the like all over the area where it had once flowed.
đź‘Ť.

vfm
The problem is you are posting rocks calling them artifacts. Then in a different post you posted beautiful artifacts that don’t even come close to the original (scrapers). That’s why I asked you if someone else in your family had found the beautiful pieces. I just can’t see how someone could find G10 artifacts then turn around and post rocks calling them artifacts if they had actually found the nice group themselves. That’s what is confusing to me.
When I first started looking with no experience I had posted rocks thinking they were artifacts. Actually on this site many years ago. Now that I know the difference from the people on this site that told me they were just rocks I actually learned how to find artifacts. So this is coming from a old rock poster myself. I’m trying to help you by telling you that the (scrapers) are nothing but rocks. As you get more experienced in finding actual artifacts you will realize I was correct.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
These shouldn’t get out of hand. I see both sides easily. YOU post things you’re excited about and you’re told “just rocks”. I remember being in your shoes, back around March. I though every rock that fit in my hand was an ancient tool. I’ve eventually learned via some “tough love.” I was told straight out: just a rock, repeatedly.
Today I’m grateful for the education.
Keep posting and keep learning. You seem to be a great guy. I started reading more than posting. That helped me see reality too. I hope this helps everyone. 👍🏼

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They look like just rocks. So does what I posted. When viewed in hand by two people whose opinions I value they both agreed with me that my finds are artifacts. Similar situation, quartzite material on a site with known native activity. Don’t look like artifacts, but no one could or should be 100%.

Relicgrubber

Silver Member
Nov 3, 2018
Deep East Texas
Detector(s) used
O.G. XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
P8gaIRl.gif

OP
OP
V

vonfatman

Jul 21, 2023
KCMO Area
Primary Interest:
Other
I am 100% loaded with Sioux quartzite ;-) And I take no office what-so-ever. It helps me think and helps me learn. If you don't think a guy can be 100% wrong, you have not met my wife!

Thanks to everyone who participated.

vfm

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They look like just rocks. So does what I posted. When viewed in hand by two people whose opinions I value they both agreed with me that my finds are artifacts. Similar situation, quartzite material on a site with known native activity. Don’t look like artifacts, but no one could or should be 100%.
Fred, not sure which rocks you are talking about, but the ones I remember were just rocks and those opinions were expressed by multiple very experienced members.

Relicgrubber

Silver Member
Nov 3, 2018
Deep East Texas
Detector(s) used
O.G. XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fred, not sure which rocks you are talking about, but the ones I remember were just rocks and those opinions were expressed by multiple very experienced members.
Except for uniface.

He is the one who expressed his opinion that fred's rocks were artifacts... I remember fred's post explicitly.

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I wrote in an earlier post both Uniface and Dr. Gramly viewed my rocks in person and agreed they were artifacts. If you think you know more about likely paleo artifacts found a mile from Dr. Gramly’s house than he does, anything I write or pics I post would be a waste of time. Also pissing Mr. Uniface off and driving him away was a tragic mistake, With Joshua Reams passing and Grim and a few others no longer posting you really couldn’t afford to lose anyone with knowledge like that. Good thing this is mostly a metal detecting forum cause the once great artifact section is toast.,I hope Tennessee isn’t paying much for the moderation that caused it,

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
As I wrote in an earlier post both Uniface and Dr. Gramly viewed my rocks in person and agreed they were artifacts. If you think you know more about likely paleo artifacts found a mile from Dr. Gramly’s house than he does, anything I write or pics I post would be a waste of time. Also pissing Mr. Uniface off and driving him away was a tragic mistake, With Joshua Reams passing and Grim and a few others no longer posting you really couldn’t afford to lose anyone with knowledge like that. Good thing this is mostly a metal detecting forum cause the once great artifact section is toast.,I hope Tennessee isn’t paying much for the moderation that caused it,
We are still waiting for you to post the ones they said were artifact’s. Even discarded debitage is a artifact just not always a tool unless it is altered for a purpose.

Relicgrubber

Silver Member
Nov 3, 2018
Deep East Texas
Detector(s) used
O.G. XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Richard said that was an Artifact :icon_scratch:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you're calling hafted quartzite scrapers are not in any way shape or form. You got some cool stuff in that second post though.

OP
OP
V

vonfatman

Jul 21, 2023
KCMO Area
Primary Interest:
Other
Front scrapers are sharpened at one end. Many look like a triangle with the wide sharp side up. They are usually hafted/attached to a sturdy stick, antler or bone (these are the most commonly discussed).
Muscle tendon and other 'tough' and/or stringy stuff made for better - longer lasting hafting material.

I understand the hafting allowed the user to 'bear down' with more force than if she/he were simply holding the scraper in their hands.

Hope that wasn't tmi...but they have been on my mind.

Have a terrific evening.

vfm

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Von when you add additional pictures on different subjects you should do so in different thread, as threads that are geofacts and just rocks are eventually moved out of Indian artifact forum.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread