Sixty Years Later!

CAP

Jun 6, 2003
Hometown USA
Detector(s) used
XLT, ATPro, Tesoro Silver S., White's TM 800, Makro MultiKruzer, XP Deus II, Nokta Pulse Dive
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This little diamond ring was lost by my Mother around 1954-55 on the 40 acre farm where she and dad was cutting fodder for the cows and mules. When I first started metal detecting in earnest around 1993, she told me about losing it but could not remember where on the farm she lost it, just that it was in one of the fields. I have practiced with my various metal detectors all over this farm and dug up a lot of stuff, mainly plow points and horse shoes. I never really entertained the thought that I would be lucky enough to ever find this little ring, even if I set out to systematically hunt it.
I recently had about an hour to kill before going to work and ran out my front door, I live on the back side of the property now, to search the field in front of my house where I had previously found a musketball and an Indian arrowhead. The first signal I got, I dug, at about 4 inches. I expected it to be a bullet or shell casing because my son has used this area as a firing range. The signal was coming in as foil, around the mid 40's on the AT Pro. I was totally surprised to see the ring, partly encased in the chunk of clay dirt. It took about 30 seconds to realize it. She is 88 years old now. I just showed it to her and she has claimed it!
There's no telling how many little gold rings that I have walked over in the parks and beach discriminating them out!

Attachments

• Mom's engagement ring sideview.jpg
    Mom's engagement ring sideview.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 152
  • Mom's engagement ring closeup.jpg
    Mom's engagement ring closeup.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 156
Upvote 29

s.tan

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great story and find! Your mom must be really happy. Well done!

WNCsweeper

Aug 4, 2013
Asheville, NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core Pro pack × 2
Nokta Pointer
Rattler head phones
Lesche digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice recovery and return....yeah I started out using discrimination ....now going over places again just canceling small iron only and digging everything in search of the ever elusive gold. HH

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's really great. I'm glad you were able to return it to your Mom

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome!! Great save and return, what are the odds....

How special is that!!

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Neat Story and a fantastic find. I have a Pro as well and have done the same thing. When I am on a historic property, I now just dig everything! I have gone back to some sites just to dig those lower numbers. Digging in the forties has gotten me colonial buttons and small jewelry, 45 netted me a fairly good sized mens' wedding ring. I knew that going in, but wasn't hitting the really low signals except on the beaches. WTG and HH!

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome, I find this find of your's to be a Banner find, a very rare happenstance and emotionally very valuable, I would venture to say priceless, I'm voting banner!!!

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To be able to return that to her in her old age is very special , maybe the nicest story I've seen here in quite a while !

OP
OP
C

CAP

Jun 6, 2003
Hometown USA
Detector(s) used
XLT, ATPro, Tesoro Silver S., White's TM 800, Makro MultiKruzer, XP Deus II, Nokta Pulse Dive
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all that replied? Just had to share this with everyone. I still can't believe finding it. It was like it came looking for me and Mom! lol

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
awesome story, awesome find, awesome return. the best part was her being able to see it again and wear it again. a very special part of her life was finally returned to her. congrats on the very exciting moments. totally awesome

Hondo

Jul 1, 2014
Midwest
Detector(s) used
AT- Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really, seriously cool. Doesn't get any better than that. Thanks for sharing such an awesome story with us, made my day!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Family provenance of a ring has to be a high-lite of detecting. Congrats on your recovery/return!

Shelbe

Feb 10, 2013
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Have used a Whites that I bought when I was 17, it was broken in storage this winter, Looking at a Garret 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love your story! !!!

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Lovely ring which surely has happy memories for your Mom! Congrats! :notworthy: :blob3: :notworthy:

The odds against your detecting that exact spot must be huge, but it happened - Wow! Andi

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread