skeleton coast wrecks

aazzxx

Tenderfoot
Sep 28, 2004
walvis bay namibia
Hi All,

I am new, here I live on the west coast of africa, I have a 58ft Gaff schooner. I have amongs other things, a background in electronics and can build things.

Soon I get a list of about 300 wrecks on our coast that have never been dived on.

I have no experience, but like to snoop around. I have an american lady and an itialian sailor joining me on the boat.

Anyone of you like to get involved with us, or give us advice, or like to take a chance and bring his equipment for a holliday and make use of our boat?

We are trying to make money from tourism, but during the off-season, we like to do something interesting.

We are in Namibia at 22 south an 15 east but could also operate in Angola where one should expect portuguese wrecks. Anyone of you know a site where we could check?

Many thanks

aazzxx

S

seal

What will you do when you have gathered these sites and the info that go with them. Will you publish them on the net or was as I'm looking for info on shipwrecks around Africa but have come up empty handed.

cheers

Seal

ceolacanth

Nov 20, 2004
Seal
Africa is a big area if you can be more specific I will try and assist.
Regarding the Skeleton coast post you repied to, the boat is in Walvis bay Namibia (old SWest Africa) that area is a good area for untouched wrecks but a word of caution they are untouched for reasons. The coastline is very inhospitable although in the summer months reasonably fair at times , the water is cold, lots of fog, shifting sands like I have never seen elsewhere, poor anchorages. And should God forbid you get stranded no fresh water (Namib Desert) Big swells in winter A lot of the coastline offshore and onshore is off limits as it is diamond mining areas both Sate and Private.(dont get caught there )

Apart from that as you progress North things get smoother at sea but not on land, (lots of politics, Namibia is pretty cool in this regard and the people are friendly)
The VOC lost a few vessels here Check out Mowe Baai (Hint)

The name Skeleton Coast just about sums it up. But lots still waiting to be recovered.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread