Skid Plate?

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
do you mean coil cover? if its about coil cover no any depth loss, only some sand can stuck between coil and cover and make detector work noisy or unstable, but its only for some sand, some use silicon to cover gaps between coil and coil cover.
its possible to use coil without coil cover because coil have apoxy 5mm. layer which you have allot time detect to grind it. good luck

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use of a coil cover is almost mandatory because the coil wears off easy at the edges and water gets inside. It is a simple matter to remove the coil occasionally to remove the black sand which sticks to a magnet and makes the detector unstable. After they are out of warranty many coat the bottom of the coil with marine epoxy to save it from wear. They don't remove any depth at all.

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
Without the coil cover you could picture a heavy grit sand paper rubbing on the coil every time you swing. Coil cover is highly recommended and take it off every now and then to clean under it. :coffee2:

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
you can use it very very safe-its at least 5mm. apoxi under for damage protection copper coils inside, all the coil apoxi basis is made for stabilase coil coils, you can step on coil and its will not brake because its made like this. usually people use coil covers and dont like to buy coils used without coil cover. believe me to sand it down you have to swing hole year without stop. I have grand some coils to make it lighter and I know what I say. good look

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can just cover the coil with duct tape and that will protect it for awhile. Mainly you don't want to wear down the edge.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions