skunked- didnt even get the coins

xlt fan

Greenie
Sep 11, 2011
I have been metal detecting off and on for several yrs now but never coin roll hunted so i thought id give it a try. went to five different banks in my town and nobody has halves. they said the few they do get they ship to the fed. im not to impressed with this,at least when i go out to the field i always come back with at least a coin or two. What are my options? keep going to more banks in neighboring towns? I was told they dont order any becuase there is no demand. Any advice from u seasoned veterens would be appreciated, thanks. xlt fan

Upvote 0

mws_1984

Sep 2, 2011
SilverFace said:
Btw, I should have been more specific. All S mint '71's & '72's Ike's are silver because the mint didn't start minting the clad proofs for the proof sets till '73. It's just the '73, '74, & '76 S proof Ike's that are both clad and silver. And all '77S & '78S Ike's are clad because there were no silver ones minted those years. Also you might want to keep any clad S Ike's if you ever find 'em too. They aren't nearly as good as silver but they are NIFC's and it would be like finding a clad proof half dollar - which are always keepers for me.

So that should help a little bit if you ever find an S Ike. Depending on the year it may not need to be weighed at all.

Here's a good reference page for the different strikes and mintages of Ike's:

http://www.bestcoin.com/eisenhower-dollar-mintage.htm

HH

Thanks for the tips. I'll keep any S mint marks I find. Have to ask what does NIFC stand for? Lots of terminology I haven't learned yet. There ought to be a guide on this forum stuck to the top of the page.

kennedyfan

Jul 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bank Tellers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mws_1984 said:
Have to ask what does NIFC stand for? Lots of terminology I haven't learned yet. There ought to be a guide on this forum stuck to the top of the page.

Attachments

• top of CRH.png
    top of CRH.png
    85 KB · Views: 157

mws_1984

Sep 2, 2011
kennedyfan said:
mws_1984 said:
Have to ask what does NIFC stand for? Lots of terminology I haven't learned yet. There ought to be a guide on this forum stuck to the top of the page.

Hmm I coulda sworn I looked in there and couldn't find it. I'll look again.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
mws_1984 said:
kennedyfan said:
mws_1984 said:

it just means - not intended for circulation. With Ike's it's all the S mint coins and the '73's. With halves it's all the post - '01's, '87's, all the S mints and of course the ever elusive and ever so desirable '70D.

HH

mws_1984

Sep 2, 2011
SilverFace said:
mws_1984 said:
kennedyfan said:
mws_1984 said:

it just means - not intended for circulation. With Ike's it's all the S mint coins and the '73's. With halves it's all the post - '01's, '87's, all the S mints and of course the ever elusive and ever so desirable '70D.

HH

Ah thanks. I had actually just googled it and came across a post elsewhere that it is an in house term. The actual term is NCLT, Non Circulating Legal Tender. But got it all figured now.

mws_1984

Sep 2, 2011
SilverFace said:
maybe NIFC is just more of a CRHing term - I'm not sure. :)

Seems to be as anothe rcoin forum that came up when I googled the term mentioned the other term I posted about.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread