SlideShow: NYC Metal Detecting Rights Rally Today

Dick Stout

Mar 23, 2006
Southwest
Detector(s) used
MXT, V3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry, terrific job....thank you. From what I heard there might be a light at the end of the tunnel despite the
turnout. The pastime needs about a hundred people like you. Appreciate it...

DS
www.stoutstandards.com

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No offense, but not a great job in organizing a rally. I've seen kids lemonade stands draw more attention. If you don't have a large turnout it's not a rally, this wouldn't even rate as a tea social.

Don't get me wrong, great idea, but very poor planning in getting the word out there. What is even sadder, small gatherings like this, get you on the "pay me no mind list."

Dick Stout

Mar 23, 2006
Southwest
Detector(s) used
MXT, V3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Notice you were are from NJ....were you able to attend?

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
spartacus53 said:
No offense, but not a great job in organizing a rally. I've seen kids lemonade stands draw more attention. If you don't have a large turnout it's not a rally, this wouldn't even rate as a tea social.

Don't get me wrong, great idea, but very poor planning in getting the word out there. What is even sadder, small gatherings like this, get you on the "pay me no mind list."

Thank's for your insight Spart! The 15-people that showed up were able to get their message out to hundreds - in the park - and succeeded in getting a meet with the Parks Commissioner. What did you do yesterday? It cost me $6.50 for parking and $22.00 for train and subway tickets. Then there was the time spent 730am - 1230pm. Guess I'm an idiot for trying to help? There are those that talk a good game, and those that no matter the odds - walk the walk. My shoes are worn...

Here is the unofficial press release:

New York, NY - The Task Force for Metal Detecting Rights (TFMDR), sponsored a rally at New York City Parks Department headquarters, located inside the historic "Arsenal" building, in Central Park. The "Rally for Rights," took place on Wednesday, June 1, 2011, and achieved its goals of creating greater awareness of our hobby and opening a positive dialogue with the NYC Parks Department.

Task Force members, and metal detectorists from New York City and the Tri-State area, successfully got their message out to the NYC Parks Department - and hundreds of Central Park visitors, explaining the many benefits our hobby provides to our parks and fellow citizens. Task Force organizers were also successful in arranging a future meeting with the Parks Department. TFMDR organizers will discuss their desire to participate in making and reviewing future metal detecting rules and regulations; improving and streamlining metal detecting permit procedures and requirements; removing metal detecting from "prohibited" status in many NYC parks; reversing arbitrary rules that prohibit metal detecting "within 50-feet" of a plant or tree; and gaining access to more NYC parks.

The Task Force for Metal Detecting Rights, is a non-profit organization dedicated to the hobby of Metal Detecting - a wholesome, family oriented activity that can be pursued by young and old alike. TFMDR advocates for the public's right to pursue our hobby on public lands and in our parks. For more information on how to join or become active in your City or State, email Harold Lowenfels: [email protected]

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Surprisingly it seems constructive criticism is not really appreciated. I guess it's like being the red headed stepchild.

I was not able to make it because of a thing I call work. I'm not retired, or independently wealthy to be able to join events of this nature during a work week.

Like I mentioned, the thought, or idea was a good one.. The execution of the rally is a different thing. The planning of this rally appeared flawed to me and that is my opinion. I am sure that others may share this opinion and did not reply to spare any ill feelings.

Let's look at this event according to you, and the results. Rally from 7:30am - 12:30pm
1- Time spent at the rally 5 hours - I believe less, your train didn't arrive NY until after 7:38 and you still had to get to 64th and 5th.
2- 15 people attended.. To my best count, there was a total of 10.. 9 in closing photo, plus photographer.
3- Amount of people reached 100's - Let's say 500 and I'm giving you plenty of lead way on this count. That is a total of 100 people/per hour divided by 15 = 7 people per hr/per person.

Location.. Maybe good for you to rally there, but wouldn't you go to the area of the park with the most traffic? You should have been on the west side of the Park, at 79th st and Central Park West. you would have well over 500 people/ per 1/2 hour. That is why I said poor planning, and even worse location. After all, it was your intention to reach the masses, poor location. You want to get a meeting with the Park's Commissioner, pick up the phone and make an appointment.

You did the right thing in your mind, and I'll agree with you there. I did nothing, went no where, and actually accomplished the same results.. Except for the meeting, I can book that later. I don't get involved in anything, unless I understand the cause, the issue at hand, and how & when it's planned.

I don't spin my wheels in mud :headbang:

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
spartacus53 said:
...Like I mentioned, the thought, or idea was a good one.. The execution of the rally is a different thing. The planning of this rally appeared flawed to me and that is my opinion. I am sure that others may share this opinion and did not reply to spare any ill feelings.
Let's look at this event according to you, and the results. Rally from 7:30am - 12:30pm
1- Time spent at the rally 5 hours - I believe less, your train didn't arrive NY until after 7:38 and you still had to get to 64th and 5th.
2- 15 people attended.. To my best count, there was a total of 10.. 9 in closing photo, plus photographer.
3- Amount of people reached 100's - Let's say 500 and I'm giving you plenty of lead way on this count. That is a total of 100 people/per hour divided by 15 = 7 people per hr/per person...

...I don't spin my wheels in mud :headbang:

C'mon Spart! I (me) left my home at 730am dude. Use your head, 5-hours was MY committment. The rally lasted what, an hour-and-a-half. I was the photographer; the closing photo only pictured Task Force Members - and the Three Senior Members in another; And heck, let's say 400 people reached. That is more than if we had just stayed home - isn't it? Not only that, the guys DID get a meet scheduled with NYC Parks!

Spart, you may not spin your wheels in the mud, but it seems to me, you haven't bothered to even put the key into the ignition yet. Nobody spanked you like a- whatever you typed, I for one like and respect your comments. At least we are talking about the subject - whether we agree or not!

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, let me stick the key in the ignition. I am all about ideas, and planning.

Terry, don't get me wrong. What was being done was a good thing, I never said anything to the contrary there. But I think you, as well as many others may look at your experience and say, what could we have done better? :icon_scratch: Like I said, it the day and time you choose that will optimize your effort and participation.

Most important of all is location... The other side of the park is where the Museum of Natural History is... You want traffic and to reach the masses, you need to be where they are. You would have reached well over 500 in less than 1 hour, with no exaggeration, had you been in the location I mentioned.

It was only my opinion, hopefully the planners may think a better on their next event. I can only assume the organizers had little knowledge about planning. Then again, if they are from the city, they should already know all the key park areas, as well as other locations to reach a large audience.

I would have been like Robert E Lee, dividing my forces like he did at Chancellorsville, one group at 79th st and the second group at the Stephen A. Schwarzman Building Fifth Avenue at 42nd Street Spend lunch hour 12-2 and reach thousands, not hundreds.

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
spartacus53 said:
OK, let me stick the key in the ignition. I am all about ideas, and planning.

Terry, don't get me wrong. What was being done was a good thing, I never said anything to the contrary there. But I think you, as well as many others may look at your experience and say, what could we have done better? :icon_scratch: Like I said, it the day and time you choose that will optimize your effort and participation.

Most important of all is location... The other side of the park is where the Museum of Natural History is... You want traffic and to reach the masses, you need to be where they are. You would have reached well over 500 in less than 1 hour, with no exaggeration, had you been in the location I mentioned.

It was only my opinion, hopefully the planners may think a better on their next event. I can only assume the organizers had little knowledge about planning. Then again, if they are from the city, they should already know all the key park areas, as well as other locations to reach a large audience.

I would have been like Robert E Lee, dividing my forces like he did at Chancellorsville, one group at 79th st and the second group at the Stephen A. Schwarzman Building Fifth Avenue at 42nd Street Spend lunch hour 12-2 and reach thousands, not hundreds.

Absolutely Spart! The organizers really have had no prior experience at organizing - anything. I met them about 7-days ago, and although I am active in the industry, had never heard of them or their work prior to last week. Ideas like yours are extremely helpful, and can make a huge difference going forward. I urge you to send your ideas to Harold and his Task Force - and to become involved in helping them plan a future event.

This effort needs all the brains, hands and feet we can get, and I urge everyone to find their niche - and fill it!

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem Terry. I just look at things and analyze them quickly. They seem to have left out all planning and just went for a walk in the park.

Ideas is the one thing I can always bring to the table, some of them will be far left field, but if you want attention, I have the ways to get that.. Look at your street performers, they draw a crowd in no time. You want a crowd, I have ways of generating the interest, it would surely be a comedy clinic :laughing7:

Remember, if you want to stand out in an auditorium of white shirts, wear a red one :headbang: :hello2:

Dick Stout

Mar 23, 2006
Southwest
Detector(s) used
MXT, V3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think what's missing in all this is not whether the location could have been better or the planning better, but the fact that no one cared enough to show up, period. Suspect that if 100 or 200 people showed up we would be bragging about how great we are all, but thanks to all the "I'm too busy" people, we aren't able to do it. Also criticizing the effort was not very considerate. If you can do it better then please offer your
"expertise"

If anyone else cares here are a few contacts:

By mail: Commissioner Adrian Benepe
The Arsenal, Central Park
830 Fifth Ave.
New York, N.Y. 10065

email: [email protected]

phone: 212 360-1305 or 212 360-8111

Terry, thanks again...

Dick Stout

Mar 23, 2006
Southwest
Detector(s) used
MXT, V3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forgot...

Comments like this are rude and totally unwarranted.

"I've seen kids lemonade stands draw more attention" and "this wouldn't even rate as a tea social"

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry Soloman said:
Spart, you may not spin your wheels in the mud, but it seems to me, you haven't bothered to even put the key into the ignition yet. Nobody spanked you like a- whatever you typed, I for one like and respect your comments. At least we are talking about the subject - whether we agree or not!

Terry, how wrong you are... :laughing9:

It seems some have no sense of humor, nor know when they are given constructive criticism either :dontknow:

Like I said, and I'll stand by my words, the event was poorly planned.. Many of the elements were missing, including possible locations, day and time. There was no agenda, so show up and mill around. Maybe this was one of the several reasons you had a poor turnout, poor organization and only moderate interest from the pedestrians. A poor turnout does not make a good rally.

You think my wording was a bit harsh, I think you will find life in general a bit harsher. :thumbsup:

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry,

Hats off to all of you who organized and participated in the rally. It's a great start. I know turnout was weaker than you may have wanted, but I'm sure there would have been more people if it had occurred on the weekend. I hope you guys keep at it. You did a great thing today. :icon_thumleft:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TreasureHippo, well I guess reading my post made you sign up so you could vent and I have no problem with that. Welcome to T-Net... And if you think I'm a tuff cookie, just wait until you met my cuz :laughing7:

Regarding class, I have plenty of class and it's all low :tongue3:

I feel like I am hijacking Terry's thread and that is far from the point. Even Terry was able to see through the cutting humor, to see my point. You may not like the way I deliver a message, but I do tend to get my point across. :laughing7:

Yes I did make a few jokes, but just pointed out what I thought to be obvious. As far as my trying to be a big man, not my style. I'm only a small grain of sand on he beach :thumbsup:

By the way, you may want to check the date of the rally 6/1/11 and the post also on 6/1/11, but after the event. I only saw this post and read it, and then replied.

note to self: repair the time machine :laughing7:

P.S. You may want to read my disclaimer at the bottom of my first post too, it will give you a better insight. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
New York, NY - The Task Force for Metal Detecting Rights (TFMDR), sponsored a rally at New York City Parks Department headquarters, located inside the historic "Arsenal" building, in Central Park. The "Rally for Rights," took place on Wednesday, June 1, 2011, and achieved its goals of creating greater awareness of our hobby and opening a positive dialogue with the NYC Parks Department.

Task Force members, and metal detectorists from New York City and the Tri-State area, successfully got their message out to the NYC Parks Department - and hundreds of Central Park visitors, explaining the many benefits our hobby provides to our parks and fellow citizens. Task Force organizers were also successful in arranging a future meeting with the Parks Department. TFMDR organizers will discuss their desire to participate in making and reviewing future metal detecting rules and regulations; improving and streamlining metal detecting permit procedures and requirements; removing metal detecting from "prohibited" status in many NYC parks; reversing arbitrary rules that prohibit metal detecting "within 50-feet" of a plant or tree; and gaining access to more NYC parks.

The Task Force for Metal Detecting Rights, is a non-profit organization dedicated to the hobby of Metal Detecting - a wholesome, family oriented activity that can be pursued by young and old alike. TFMDR advocates for the public's right to pursue our hobby on public lands and in our parks. For more information on how to join or become active in your City or State, email Harold Lowenfels: [email protected]

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
TreasureHippo said:
Just to talk with you, now I am swimming out.
And you sir, Blocked.

You talk a lot about "class"..then wimp out and "ignore" after railing at someone for their opinions? lol, see Spart' now THAT'S how to show some "class"! ::)

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dano, I guess that's the thanks I get for making him sign up to reply to me. :laughing7:

Anyway, I am sure this will still generate some interest in your quest Terry :thumbsup: This thread will have a long lifespan. :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread