Slow finds, but lovely vistas

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
It is a shame I do not carry a camera. Since I hunt the water, doing so would destroy it. Went out twice today, and once yesterday. Saw both sinrises, and the sunset today. Yesterday at sunrise, there were about 4 dolphins swimming near me, about 50 feet away. Was awesome to see them in close to the beach. Then today again, Dolphins at sunrise, but this time, there were 10 of them that I counted, and possibly more. Add to that the ospreys that were calling overhead, the pelican dive bombing the water, and the scools of fish being attacked all around me, and it was an outstandingly beautiful morning to hunt. This evening, just as the sun was going down, I noticed someone pointing offshore for a friend, and I looked as well. And what do you know, at sunset, on a clear day, there was a faint rainbow draped across the ocean. Around that time, as I was entering the water after a short wet sand rest break, A fish about 2-3 feet long darted right past me. It was huge! and so close to shore, I was amazed. And I saw dolphins again on the evening hunt. 3 hunts in a row I have seen them. Dont know what ill have to do to get the wife to come with me, but she wont even after hearing about all of that.

All that aside, the finds were not so great. Only one ring in all 3 hunts, but at least it was silver. It is a claughdah ring(butchered the spelling I know.) Thankfully it doesnt fit the wife, or she would have stolen it. Besides that, I found $5.45 clad, my first cell phone, 4 pair of glasses/sunglasses,
A full set of keys, A History Channel Commerative coin, 4 junk earrings(one may be silver, one had a 4 carat "diamond"), fishin lure, and a .22 caliber bullet. Guess I gotta go to work in the morning :).

Sorry for the lack of pictures, but I am exhausted. 15 Hours, mostly in the water, has taken its toll, and, I have to work int he morning. Hope you all have had better succes,
Anthony

Upvote 0

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
i see 4' sharks every day here in 3' of water..i dont much care for that,but they dont seam to bother anyone.i just have a hard time getting comfortable in the water.i just start to feel better and then i see another one comming at me and we scare the h$#% out of each other .then they turn away fast. guess mabe il get used to it someday! :o :o :o

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
I enjoy the early morning hunts as well. All is peaceful and quiet. It is a wonderful time of day. Dolphins or not I'm not sure I would like to see a whole pod of them bearing down on me.

Dixie I have no idea what I will do when I see my first shark near me in the water. It scares the *&^(% out of me just thinking about it. I know that they are there but.... I have not SEEN them.

HalfSpeed

Feb 10, 2008
Enid, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle II, Ace 250's (2), Cobra Beach Magnet
Sounds like you found real treasure in the vistas. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I have the same problem getting the wife to do the early morning hunts. Gotta have the makeup and wardrobe just right to be seen on the beach metal detecting..... ::)

I just bought an Olympus Stylus 1030 SW digital camera. Great pocket camera that will take pics or movies up to 30' deep underwater. Tried it out in our local lake and works great. Just soak in fresh water when you get back home then wipe off. Looking forward to our next trip to the gulf to use it snorkeling and detecting. Also does good Macro shots. I Highly recommend it for water detectors. Lets see videos of the great whites chasing you :icon_pirat:

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
this morning there was 2 sharks about 4' long in 3' of water .they were chasing little fish all around me.i don't like it when they get between me and the bank! i see people out waste deep just standing there fishing.iv caught 3' sharks on rod n reel at my beach and they do have teeth! iv been here 9 months and hunt about 5 days a week and have never seen another hunter in the water here? do they know something i don't? makes me wonder?

rdi

Sep 5, 2007
Zephyrhills, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Infinium LS, Sovereign GT, Fisher cz6a, Garrett sea hunter,Garrett vlf/tr groundhog
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Narthoniel....You can't beat the Olympus Stylus 1030 SW camera....I've been using it in salt water for a few months now and its great...but sometimes hard to see the screen at the beach...rdi

OP
OP
Narthoniel

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Thanks for the tips on the camera, I will look into it when money is avaliable. Still trying to pay for all my detecting toys, and, the beach is not yeilding much. Hopefully that will change, I am feeling optimistic about this evenings upcoming hunt, as I found an area on my way home last night littered with targets. considering I hunted 27 blocks, and there were only 2 blocks in there holding much of anything, this is a good thing in my eyes.

As far as sharks go, Fortunatly there are very few in the area here, and those that are dont get much bigger than 2-3 feet in legnth. Very rarely do we get a big bull, tiger, or other shark in the area. Also, the water is far from clear, so even if they were near, I wouldnt see them more likely than not. Was out in the day yesterday, waist deep, and couldnt see the bright yellow sticker on my coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread