Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ol' cat is getting old. I really skipped the summer season, haven't View attachment IMG_1410.jpg View attachment IMG_1412.jpg been feeling all that well. Soooo....a few weeks ago a few of us started going over some of our old honey holes. We went to some of best areas from last year. A couple we had hit so hard so didn't find much. Another was just a plain bust.
ance of actually finding something. A few of us found minies ( I did not find any.) I headed with one friend up a little hill and got a nice, flat c
The third site, which I have taken a few people two was looking like a disappointment also, however the farmer had (gasp) actually turned the soil so now there was a better cholonial button in amongst some coal scraps and a lot of iron nails. It took forever but I finally got a nice silver cufflink, a few more buttons and a breast plate or horse tack piece, it's hard to tell as it is heavy stamped brass with a lead fill. A Rev War military button was found on the site. This was just a day ago.

I kept circling the small area and got a solid 92 signal on the Deus, which is normally either silver, quarter sized or a square of aluminum. I called my bud over with his new Equinox and his machine saw it and he interpreted it as a minie ball at an 18 on the Equinox. It was a nice sized, solid piece. I took a huge bite of dirt out and flipped the muddy plug over. Out pops a 1772 2 Escudo coin! Of course, I didn't have my glasses on and couldn't see what it was lying on the ground so yelled at my friend, what is it? What is it? After all I can't see what the thing was! The reve View attachment IMG_1416.jpg howed. He picked it up and at that point I think I because speechless as he said I didn't react much. Well, surprise will do that to you.

We also found a lot of other cool early pieces. The pottery is 18th century but we didn't find much of it. Enjoy. View attachment IMG_1410.jpg

Upvote 146
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tommybuckets, I had found those three flat buttons fairly close to where I had placed my little chair. I used it as a marker and we just kept circling it. That coal was driving me nuts, but it read so low, I knew those signals were the coal. Darryl found two Civil War belt plates within 50' of where we were, late in 2016 and that Eagle D button this spring that I kept drooling over was found almost exactly where I found the escudo. As you know we had been playing the "what's your machine reading on this" game for a bit, and I thought this was a silver quarter or some such thing, and I remember your Equinox read it at an 18. Happiness is a farmer that still plows. There are still parts of the 55 acres no one has been on yet.

TNmountains, I did find a blown Rev War cannon piece maybe 30 years ago. Doesn't look like much.

Last edited:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many gold coins on tnet but yours is hard to beat!

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What a beautiful find!

Nicely done, and all the best,

Lanny

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Totally Outstanding!!!! Congrats!!!! Awesome!!!!! I'm drooling now........

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You mean I was on property that had that coin? Waaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh man that's awesome. huge congrats!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, Jeff the same property and where you were looking at the woods' edge, well it was in the field about 85 feet out with some other goodies.

That's my second colonial gold coin, the first was from the Delaware beach in early 2013, after Hurricane Sandy. It was and is a 1774 British Gold Guinea either from the "Three Brothers" shipwreck or the "Faithful Steward" shipwreck.

Two colonials in just about 50 years of looking around and scratching in the dirt. What we are NOT finding is early state coppers. Plenty of George I, II and III coppers and pre Civil War US coppers, with a few silvers mixed in but those early state coppers are just plain missing from our sites, with the exception of the one Tommybuckets found just a few weeks ago. It would be a real coup to dig a pre 1820 US gold coin, but I don't think I even know of anyone ever finding one. At this point someone will tell us about theirs!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Probably as close to finding one as I will ever get
But glad it’s you getting them if not me

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Normally a site like this would be done by now, almost 2 years now from when we started digging there. But with 55 acres, and now three more adjoining permissions, and with this particular farmer PLOWING and deep discing, it may take the rest of our lives to dig it. We were finding just a few minie balls this time out, compared to those first days when we might get 20, but most were less than 3" underground. The farmer apparently turned them up. One ofuy found a whole horseshoe. We either aren't that good, or we're missing a lot of stuff. A horseshoe is hard to miss.

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats Smokey! I've been told that old gold will ring up high in the ground. Yours did.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds as usual. Thanks for letting me tag along once in a while. It is always something good when you are involved.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
v, no it's not always something good. Last few digs were kinda pitiful until we went back to the "playground" as you call it. Or is that amusement park? Tommy found another horseshoe. I mean come on, we're apparently missing a lot up there.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm always game to get back there...hint hint. Lol.

sataro

Jan 16, 2013
Corsicana, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 | Nokta Simplex+ | Tesoro Mohave | Quest Xpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a great find!

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe you mentioned it already and I just didn’t read it, but what detector were you using? Deus HF elliptical?

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deus HP elliptical at 74 khz. HOWEVER, as Calabash stated recently it could have been found with a Garrett carrott on a stick. Wasn't deep (5") and blew my ears off. Blew the Equinox 800 users' ears off too, but read at "18" on his machine, "92" or whatever on mine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread