Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ol' cat is getting old. I really skipped the summer season, haven't View attachment IMG_1410.jpg View attachment IMG_1412.jpg been feeling all that well. Soooo....a few weeks ago a few of us started going over some of our old honey holes. We went to some of best areas from last year. A couple we had hit so hard so didn't find much. Another was just a plain bust.
ance of actually finding something. A few of us found minies ( I did not find any.) I headed with one friend up a little hill and got a nice, flat c
The third site, which I have taken a few people two was looking like a disappointment also, however the farmer had (gasp) actually turned the soil so now there was a better cholonial button in amongst some coal scraps and a lot of iron nails. It took forever but I finally got a nice silver cufflink, a few more buttons and a breast plate or horse tack piece, it's hard to tell as it is heavy stamped brass with a lead fill. A Rev War military button was found on the site. This was just a day ago.

I kept circling the small area and got a solid 92 signal on the Deus, which is normally either silver, quarter sized or a square of aluminum. I called my bud over with his new Equinox and his machine saw it and he interpreted it as a minie ball at an 18 on the Equinox. It was a nice sized, solid piece. I took a huge bite of dirt out and flipped the muddy plug over. Out pops a 1772 2 Escudo coin! Of course, I didn't have my glasses on and couldn't see what it was lying on the ground so yelled at my friend, what is it? What is it? After all I can't see what the thing was! The reve View attachment IMG_1416.jpg howed. He picked it up and at that point I think I because speechless as he said I didn't react much. Well, surprise will do that to you.

We also found a lot of other cool early pieces. The pottery is 18th century but we didn't find much of it. Enjoy. View attachment IMG_1410.jpg

Upvote 146

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Way ta go. Super finds.:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the dirt is heavily mineralized, but not quite as bad as the horrid Virginia red dirt.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Deus HP elliptical at 74 khz. HOWEVER, as Calabash stated recently it could have been found with a Garrett carrott on a stick. Wasn't deep (5") and blew my ears off. Blew the Equinox 800 users' ears off too, but read at "18" on his machine, "92" or whatever on mine.

I will now never pass up a 18 for as long as I live.

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 74kHz in the crappy dirt is great. Even the 28-31kHZ works well. I don't know if you use the middle frequencies much (28kHz), but I think that the latest software update increased the detection depth using Reactivity 2? I haven't been using reactivity of 2 for almost a year now. I almost always use reactivity of 3, but a few days ago I decided to change it up a little and I noticed about 4" to 5" depth increase from Reactivity 3 to Reactivity 2. I was a little surprised. Anyway, great find!! Enjoy your Thanksgiving and I look forward to seeing more of your finds.

ShovelinDave

Jul 11, 2009
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bandido 2 - umax, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice... Congrats Smokey on another gold coin and another Banner Find. Looks like I got to the party a little late and everybody else has already said it all. So I'll just say Congrats to you again. SD

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bharpring, I hate to admit it, but I'm using factory settings for Deus Fast. I've seen too many folks over tweak their machines, so I think the reactivity is 3. It's whatever the factory settings are. And btw this is my THIRD piece of colonial gold. Earlier this year I found a tiny 3 mm or so gold top. I posted it once upon a time ago. I THINK that's what it is. It's tiny. And lying around here somewhere in a zip bag. I wouldn't have anything to do if I didn't keep forgetting stuff.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Smoke, did you ever determine what that coin might be worth??

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are not worth a lot, just a little over melt, in this case due to the condition. Slight bend, worn and lots of little scratches. Probably $300-400.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are not worth a lot, just a little over melt, in this case due to the condition. Slight bend, worn and lots of little scratches. Probably $300-400.

The greatest value of the coin, IMO, is its historical context and also the memory of the hunt. I bet you'll always remember the hunt, the friends, and the emotions - especially when you hold the coin.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That sure is a great find!

Nicely done, and all the best,

Lanny

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I’m late to the party but that is a beautiful coin Smokey,congrats to you!

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another great find their Smokey, another off the bucket list..again. Congrats!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think my bucket list is over, although in reality there are numerous US coin issues I have never found one of. Like a 2 cent coin. However, around here they would come out of the ground looking like dog food leftovers, so it's probably not worth trying for one.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think my bucket list is over, although in reality there are numerous US coin issues I have never found one of. Like a 2 cent coin. However, around here they would come out of the ground looking like dog food leftovers, so it's probably not worth trying for one.

I have found two 2 cent coins and both were barely recognizable. I think the appearance of dog food leftovers would be an improvement.

ConshyBoy

Sep 11, 2018
Conshohocken PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster 6000 Garrett Ace 400 BH Tracker 4 Vulcan 360 AT Pro Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations little time off did you right

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find and save. Nice to see gold doesn't toast.

The half reales are about dime size, paper thin, and just about worn smooth. You may have even tossed one as junk.

Congrats again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread