slucing

chris042063630

Greenie
Nov 11, 2012
Old mines, Missouri
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
about what angle does a box need to run at and about gal per minute it needs to run correctly, and what size should i screen down to before i run it through the box ? ty Doc420

thanks guys, im in Missouri south eastern and gonna try up in northern missouri, i set my box up last nite in a long cooler and was using about that angle u suggested with a 1/6 hp sump pump and used some material from here with some lead in it, i figure thats the heaviest i got to work with at present time, the problem i had was the bigger stuff under a inch, just wouldnt go over the ridges in the box they are about 1/2 in tall, dont know if i like that, but it is carpet not moss also, it caught most of the fines but i had to put it at about 45 degrees for the rest of material to move. so u think that pump is big enough, had a pretty strong flow i think, any comments would be helpful, my box is 30 x 7.5 with about a 10 in mouth . ty Doc420

Last edited:

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
As far as angle, the usual starting point is about 1 inch of drop per foot of sluice length. You can adjust from that point. You want the tailings to run off, leaving only black sand and and other heavies in the sluice. As far as gallons per minute, this depends on many factors such as depth of water running, width, and angle of the sluice. You should screen down to fairly small size. Here in New England, where nuggets are rare and fine gold is plentiful, I usually screen out everything over 1/4 inch.

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice placetogo that is the formula I start with usually end up with about 1/2 inch per foot

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sluice setup

Along with the above formula, you will know when your sluice is setup perfectly when you see a 'V' pattern that starts at the input end, goes down to the bottom of the V and from that 'point' a second V starts out only upside down and so on. Depending on the length/width ratio of you sluice you will have about three or four of these repeating V patterns on the surface of the water. It will indicate you've the right: down angle, the sluice is level, flow/amount of water in the sluice (just enough flow to cause a hump in the water as it goes over the top of the riffle) and all of this means that you really do not want to empty the sluice very often as then you have to relocate that just right position in the water. I suppose this is why some folks set their sluices up on legs but then that requires lots of water in the river. Have fun and good success........63bkpkr

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

chris042063630

Greenie
Nov 11, 2012
Old mines, Missouri
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
thanks bud, im in Missouri south eastern and gonna try up in northern missouri, i set my box up last nite in a long cooler and was using about that angle u suggested with a 1/6 hp sump pump and used some material from here with some lead in it, i figure thats the heaviest i got to work with at present time, the problem i had was the bigger stuff under a inch, just wouldnt go over the ridges in the box they are about 1/2 in tall, dont know if i like that, but it is carpet not moss also, it caught most of the fines but i had to put it at about 45 degrees for the rest of material to move. so u think that pump is big enough, had a pretty strong flow i think, any comments would be helpful, my box is 30 x 7.5 with about a 10 in mouth . ty Doc420

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It takes a pretty good flow to move off the material you don't want, do you know what GPH the pump is?

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How much flow do you have? You'll need the sluice two or three inches deep to move the material. I suspect you are not running enough water.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One inch per foot is good, as mentioned above. If your mess clears from the sluice in less than 15 seconds, too fast of flow, longer than 30 seconds, too slow of flow. You can shovel in the gravels right out of the water if you want. Slower flow may dictate clasifying it to 1/4 or so, as said above. I LIKE using legs as you can suspend the sluice in deeper water without building a dam. TTC

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Chris,in Missouri you dont need any riffels. the gold is fine and the riffels create turbulance that help the fine gold stay in suspension and they float out of your sluice!get some Veranda (unbacked)carpet thats made by Shaw or Vortex belting. the Veranda carpet can be ordered by ANY carpet store,and the Vortex can be bought through Graingers catalog,thats all youll need!and screen all your material before you run it, then maybe that little pump will have a chance at moveing your materail saveing your gold. good luck and give me a shaout when you want to go up to these northern countys.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread