Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found these these on Saturday. I did not scan them with a coin but they are all smaller than a penny. As with many of my points, there are not always visible flaking marks on them. Some here will insist that the absence of obvious flaking marks means that the object is a geofact. While some of these may be questionable to some.... there are a couple of for sure points here I think. Any thoughts? I can't I.D. the types, but my area is covered with these things.

Attachments

• small.jpg
    small.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 212
Upvote 0

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Hey!!! There ya go, nice image on that one Airborne. The only one that I can distinguish as a point from the pic is the 2nd up from the bottom left. I know a few of the others have the "shape", but I can't ascertain flake scars or anything. Most of the pieces look like debitage. Looks like you're in the right spot guy!

OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Matt R said:
Hey!!! There ya go, nice image on that one Airborne. The only one that I can distinguish as a point from the pic is the 2nd up from the bottom left. I know a few of the others have the "shape", but I can't ascertain flake scars or anything. Most of the pieces look like debitage. Looks like you're in the right spot guy!

Thanks Matt :D You know.... the one on the top left is very very (razor) sharp on the left side. You just cant see that here. You can cut tomato's with it. Thanks again for the post. This scanner drives me nuts. I scan things and they are never centered. I do not know if I should put the items in the center, top left or right, etc. hahahaha. I will scan more tomorrow after work. I found some cool things today.

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
I LOVE YOU MAN!! YOU GOT A SCANNER!!!

That being said though.. I believe Matt is 100% right- the white quartz one, second from the bottom on the left looks like it may be a point, of the others.. some appear to be flakes and some just rocks. The one you mention in the top left looks to be a flake, most flakes from most materials will have a sharp edge, but for every finished artifact made there can be hundreds of these. I did some flintknapping tonight out in the garage and made a dalton... when all was said and done there were at least a dozen flakes on the floor very similar to that one in the upper left.. and very sharp! Artifacts are more than having the right shape and more than having a sharp edge (and I have to add more than fitting in the hand "just right") I do believe you are looking in the right areas as you ARE coming up with good finds from time to time, you just have to remember to keep a critical eye- I told you that right off the bat. If you have to use the imagination as to how something might be construed as being an artifact there is a good chance it's not. It seems that beginners often will spend much too much time focussed on the tiny fraction of artifacts that are not "obviously" artifacts. Stay with us, keep an open mind, and listen to people like Matt who have a ton of experience and can save you the trouble of hauling tons of rocks home. :)

Ohio_Doug

Dec 5, 2007
Southeast Ohio
Congrats on the scanner! Your scans turn out better than mine do, I agree with the others on the white one but I'm going to add the bottom left one as a possibility.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the others. I little white quartz piece looks like a small Bifurcated Point and the rest look like flakes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread