Small Pennsylvania Celt

Hutch in PA

Nov 18, 2010
Western PA
Since there were some whopper celts posted last night, I thought I'd go to the other extreme. Full Disclosure: I purchased this...it is not a personal find. Prior to buying, it passed inspection by Bill Jackson. It was from a collection out of Venango County, PA. Any suggestions on use? I can't imagine it could handle much rough play. Skinning and butchering? Ceremonial? It has a very sharp edge.

Also, my apologies in advance if I am breaking the rules here...but I thought some hunters out there might enjoy a look at my PA buck (after all, it was killed with honest-to-goodness flint!). Got him on New Years Eve. Great way to end the year. You might also be interested to know it was taken less than 500 yards from my favorite artifact field. I guess the hunting was good back then too!

Attachments

• Polished Celt.png
    Polished Celt.png
    64 KB · Views: 347
  • Celt Edge.png
    Celt Edge.png
    64.8 KB · Views: 352
  • 2010 Flintlock New Years Eve.png
    2010 Flintlock New Years Eve.png
    78.4 KB · Views: 350
Upvote 0

musky44

Jan 29, 2010
west viginia
Im not sure about use, I wouldnt think ceremonial, maybe just a light duty celt. I found one very simular a couple months ago. Yours looks to be in a little better shape. There is a ding right in the center of the bit on mine. It looks to be from use. Must have gotten a little carried away on the backswing. Mine looks like it could be a broken pendant that was salvaged. I happened to have a broken pendant that is the excact same size and design, minus the bit (last picture). Im no expert but when i saw yours thats the first thing i thought of. Very nice celt by the way and man that is a beautiful buck, congragulations. He'll make a good lookin shoulder mount.

Attachments

• IMG_0156.JPG
    IMG_0156.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_0155.JPG
    IMG_0155.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_0154.JPG
    IMG_0154.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_0157.JPG
    IMG_0157.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_0158.JPG
    IMG_0158.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_0159.JPG
    IMG_0159.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 287

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice deer Hutch! Big and wide. Nice smoke pole deer. He has to have a good 20'' spread.
Lots of hunters on here. Here a couple more. Seems everything was tall this year and busted up from fighting. Not near the deer you have. Oh well no mounts here. I also got a bunch of does early on. These were also not far from one of my fields.
Oh yeah nice celt :thumbsup: I bet it would have cracked that pelvic bone when you cleaned your deer?

Attachments

• _DSC3328.jpg
    _DSC3328.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 240
  • jpeg.jpg
    jpeg.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 234
OP
OP
Hutch in PA

Hutch in PA

Nov 18, 2010
Western PA
I figured there would be more than a few hunters out there! Rock picking and hunting seem to go hand in hand...at least around here. Nice job in TN! For anyone keeping score, he grossed 138" and dressed at 182 lbs. By far my biggest to date. For anyone who doesn't hunt, it's like finding a nice paleo. : )

iowa trout

Dec 9, 2010
Good one Hutch wideperfection cool smokepole too ,do you think the natives sought the big racked bucks ??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread