North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lights, camera, action!
I am interested in buying a small inexpensive (less than $350) video camera with sound to shoot some of my detecting adventures like some of you other TN members.
I am looking for one that is fairly easy to use, compact, and takes nice clear movies including close shots.
Any input would be greatly appreciated, both good and bad.
Brand / model/ etc.
Thanks for your help,
MM

harristammy520

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2008
cheshire mass
Detector(s) used
hunter 11000
Re: Small video camera - Need some help from the pros

I have a nice small camera from wall mart. fits in my pocket. Takes pic and video. It is about 5" tall and it is great. Price was around $175.00

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star

ModernMiner said:
Lights, camera, action!
I am interested in buying a small inexpensive (less than $350) video camera with sound to shoot some of my detecting adventures like some of you other TN members.
I am looking for one that is fairly easy to use, compact, and takes nice clear movies including close shots.
Any input would be greatly appreciated, both good and bad.
Brand / model/ etc.
Thanks for your help,
MM
You don't have to be a genius to get a "simple" vidcam that'll satisfy you no end and doesn't require a degree to operate. Visit a website such as B&H and you'll see choices such as http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...MG330BUS_GZ_MG330B_30GB_Hybrid_HDD_Micro.html

That dynamite camcorder is $349.95 and a little comparison shopping will find it cheaper. Instead of a tape it uses a hard drive, has a 35X optical zoom (DON'T use digital zoom!) that'll bring in that distant UFO you just spotted while metal detecting, has a modern 2.7" LCD screen, fantastic sound, will allow you to get real close to that Mercury dime's mintmark, etc. That's just one example of excellence at a low price.

You can buy a different camcorder that records to a digital card that you can remove and put it in your computer's digital card reader with about the same features.

You can still buy a camcorder that uses a mini-dv videotape with the same features.

You really have a hell of a choice for $350 and all you have to do is look some models over, learn about their features and, eventually, select a model that will satisfy you without going bananas in selecting it.

You turn it on, bring it up to your eye and press the button. It'll be able to do more than you'll ever need. All the brands are well represented by various models within a brand depending on the features. For example, a camcorder that also shoots stills will be represented by models that shoot low resolution (640X480) up to models that may shoot stills with up to 4 or 5 megapixels, meaning better looking stills.

But instead of a camcorder you can also consider a digicam such as mine, a Canon 3SIS, which is a 6 megapixel still camera with a 12X optical zoom and video at 640X480 which is not high-def but it looks great whether on your computer monitor or on your TV with stereo sound! And even at 640X480 you can't use that on YouTube 'cause they use a much lower resolution, so 640X480 is very satisfying. One thing, it should shoot the video at 30fps or frames per second. Some cameras shoot at 10 or 20 fps making the video jerky. At 30fps it's smooth and can be shown on TV news channel and will look superior to cell phone video.

Videographing whether with a camcorder or digicam is really simple and you'll master it in minutes.

Silver Fox
PS: One thing, don't buy either by mail because although you may desire a small camera you may have large hands (like me) and you won't be able to hold it comfortably. So go to your nearest camera store and try several models, like buying gloves.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

You might also look at the Samsung SC-D363 mini DV. It has the 30X optical zoom and 1200X digital zoom, can use the mini dv tape as well as the SD card for pics and video (MPEG4) on SD. If careful on ebay (i.e. check out the seller), you can probably get one for under $100. It's got built in sound, macro, image stabilizer and color nite shutter on tape, and the ability to use USB for either webcam or bridging to a printer. I had also used it to broadcast live video feed at the Louisiana Bayou Hunt.
http://camcorders.about.com/od/camcordertoppicks/fr/SamsungSC_D363.htm

Here's a few examples of pics I just took using it with an incandescent lamp 3 feet away and transfering the SD card from cam. to puter.

Attachments

• DCAM0080.JPG
    DCAM0080.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 286
  • DCAM0081.JPG
    DCAM0081.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 316
  • DCAM0082.JPG
    DCAM0082.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 290

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Doug,

All you need is a digital camera that can take video--and perhaps an extra memory card as needed.

Regards,

Buckleboy

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks to everyone for your replies.
Stoney , Silver Fox, BB that's sme great info. Looks like I need to just make a trip down to Best Buy.

My next thought was, how do some of you that shoot these videos if you are out detecting by yourself. I can't see dragging a tripod around
out in the woods. Do you just place your camera on a stable base (log, etc.).

Just looking for any tips.
Thanks,
MM

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5

Do a search for the RCA Small Wonder. It fits in your shirt pocket and if easy to use. Less than $150 and takes decent video for the price.

cameraman

Jun 10, 2008
central mn
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star

Try looking at the sony models those are great and the prices vary from 100 bucks to 1000 so you have a large chioce of what you want to get,and all of them are great quality

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

You can get a small table tripod (length about 6" or so). I'm also trying to figure out about velcroing it to my upper arm. Which ever way the arm is pointing, so is the camera. Otherwise, I'll just pop it into a separate nail apron for protection.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

stoney56 said:
You can get a small table tripod (length about 6" or so). I'm also trying to figure out about velcroing it to my upper arm. Which ever way the arm is pointing, so is the camera. Otherwise, I'll just pop it into a separate nail apron for protection.

Great idea Stoney.
Thanks for the great vid you PM'd me. :thumbsup:
-Doug-

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You could also try the "Hat-Cam" method... :)

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star

ModernMiner said:
Stoney , Silver Fox, BB that's sme great info. Looks like I need to just make a trip down to Best Buy.

My next thought was, how do some of you that shoot these videos if you are out detecting by yourself. I can't see dragging a tripod around

Thanks,
MM
Well, here's the thing, ModernMiner. You don't know when you are going to make a find that'll be worth recording. So, if I was taking my camcorder along, I'd have it in my light backpack, the type that is a flat bag with a front-mounted, zippered pocket, that'll hold the camcorder/camera. Of course, you don't need the pocket as you can carry the camcorder inside the bag. Instead of wide shoulder straps they're twine-thick cords. That's for carrying comfort where you almost forget you're carrying something on your back.

You don't really need a tripod. Get a camcorder that has the preferred Optical Image Stabilizer instead of Electronic Image Stabilizer. But if an OIS is not available, the EIS is definitely acceptable. I don't know if they're still made but my Panasonic camcorder had dual image stabilization: while recording and also while playing back. This is as good as it gets for a steady image especially when hand-held.

I'm an old-fashioned videographer in that I prefer to look through the viewfinder when shooting instead of relying on the LCD screen which eats up batteries. So when you get a signal that you think might be a keeper, depending on your detector's display information, whip out the camcorder, activate it, bring it up to your eye, start shooting with your left hand if you're right-handed (or vice versa) and show your meter's indication, put down the detector and shoot your hand making the hinged plug, putting the loose dirt on a catch-cloth, revealing the coin or whatever, taking it out of the hole, zooming in on the object and allowing the camcorder to settle down on the item so that one doesn't just see a white disc in the case of a coin.

You may find that after you reveal the item you wished you had taped it so simply put the object back in the ground and cover it with the loose dirt you removed and gently pat down the plug. Then get your camcorder ready and proceed to undo what you just did after seeing the object. Just remember: practice, practice, practice. The more you practice the better you'll get and the people seeing your video will congratulate you on your smoothness.

Silver Fox

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Silver Fox said:
ModernMiner said:

Thanks,
MM
Well, here's the thing, ModernMiner. You don't know when you are going to make a find that'll be worth recording. So, if I was taking my camcorder along, I'd have it in my light backpack, the type that is a flat bag with a front-mounted, zippered pocket, that'll hold the camcorder/camera. Of course, you don't need the pocket as you can carry the camcorder inside the bag. Instead of wide shoulder straps they're twine-thick cords. That's for carrying comfort where you almost forget you're carrying something on your back.

You don't really need a tripod. Get a camcorder that has the preferred Optical Image Stabilizer instead of Electronic Image Stabilizer. But if an OIS is not available, the EIS is definitely acceptable. I don't know if they're still made but my Panasonic camcorder had dual image stabilization: while recording and also while playing back. This is as good as it gets for a steady image especially when hand-held.

I'm an old-fashioned videographer in that I prefer to look through the viewfinder when shooting instead of relying on the LCD screen which eats up batteries. So when you get a signal that you think might be a keeper, depending on your detector's display information, whip out the camcorder, activate it, bring it up to your eye, start shooting with your left hand if you're right-handed (or vice versa) and show your meter's indication, put down the detector and shoot your hand making the hinged plug, putting the loose dirt on a catch-cloth, revealing the coin or whatever, taking it out of the hole, zooming in on the object and allowing the camcorder to settle down on the item so that one doesn't just see a white disc in the case of a coin.

You may find that after you reveal the item you wished you had taped it so simply put the object back in the ground and cover it with the loose dirt you removed and gently pat down the plug. Then get your camcorder ready and proceed to undo what you just did after seeing the object. Just remember: practice, practice, practice. The more you practice the better you'll get and the people seeing your video will congratulate you on your smoothness.

Silver Fox

Silver Fox,
Thanks so much for all the input, and video technique too. :thumbsup:
Hopefully I'll be making some vids soon. If I can find anything decent that is. ;D
Who knows, maybe I'll capture Bigfoot on video, or George Bush lowering gas prices? O.K., those are both a bit far fetched. :wink:
Thanks again,
Doug

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5

radarwill said:
It's not my idea, I saw it in a MD film.
Tony Hawk Helmit Cam.
Hands free.
http://www.engadget.com/2005/09/29/the-tony-hawk-helmetcam/

I had bought one of these before I found out about the RCA Small Wonder EZ201 camcorder ( which cost less).
It is a good idea, but the video is grainy and the sound is mismatched with the video.
Doesn't have a LCD screen to see what you are recording and if your subject is still in frame. Software is more difficult to work than the RCA.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dimeman said:
radarwill said:
It's not my idea, I saw it in a MD film.
Tony Hawk Helmit Cam.
Hands free.
http://www.engadget.com/2005/09/29/the-tony-hawk-helmetcam/

I had bought one of these before I found out about the RCA Small Wonder EZ201 camcorder ( which cost less).
It is a good idea, but the video is grainy and the sound is mismatched with the video.
Doesn't have a LCD screen to see what you are recording and if your subject is still in frame. Software is more difficult to work than the RCA.

Thanks all.
I have decided to go with the RCA Small Wonder EZ201 that Dimeman has suggested. Here's the link:
http://www.mysmallwonder.com/Default.aspx

It seems to be all I need: cheap price, compact, sound, decent videos, and idiot proof. :tongue3: :tard: ;D
The videos Dimeman PMed me looked just fine for what I want it for.
The camera only has a 2x zoom, but I have a camera I use for posting my close-ups on TN anyways.
Thanks again everyone for your input.
-MM-

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used