Smelter site, a few finds.

Zachac

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So we got out today and enjoyed some nice weather and I knew of a old copper smelting area dating back to the 1880's. I did not use the metal detector since the area is so hot everything beeps and there is literally piles and piles of old cans and other junk plus the slag that is all over the place will set it off. Nice thing is the site is untouched and based on the overgrowth and other signs on the road and no footprints in the mud around the site I would say we were the first ones up there this year at least. Every ditch and draw has things dating back from the 1880's to recent times and most of it is simply junk and better off staying where it is unless we ever run out of old cans. We also found some old homesteads today that I plan on searching over real good this summer so that alone made for a great day.

So here are the finds I brought home, here is a 7up bottle and a mason jar, not very old but in decent shape.

ZoF6b.jpg

And this is a can of "The most perfect made Dr price's cream baking powder" I did a quick google search and could see adds for it dating around 1885 and I am sure working in the heat of the smelter all day this stuff felt good to put on. (Sorry for the bad pic)

nxbU6.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread