Snake or Fish Head Made of Clay??

skimfizz

Dec 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I found this while searching a creek in Summerville, SC. It's 1.5" x 1.5" or so. I cleaned it up, and it resembles the head of a snake or fish. Scales, eyes, bottom mouth, but the "back" is open and flat, and does not appear to have been broken off a larger piece.

Any ideas??

Thanks for looking!!

Attachments

• SAM_7945 (1280x1048).jpg
    SAM_7945 (1280x1048).jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 292
  • SAM_7946 (1280x1015).jpg
    SAM_7946 (1280x1015).jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 306
  • SAM_7948 (1280x1198).jpg
    SAM_7948 (1280x1198).jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 196
  • SAM_7949 (1280x889).jpg
    SAM_7949 (1280x889).jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 183
  • SAM_7950 (1280x929).jpg
    SAM_7950 (1280x929).jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 235
Upvote 0

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no idea but it is interesting! I'll be checking back to see if someone here has an answer.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If old or say ancient and found in a creek that is not paint on it. Usually "clay" effigies were either pipes or vessels. I suggest posting it into the section here called " North American Artifacts" it may be a leverite . But welcome to t-net and enjoy the ride. Tell them you are new and need some help they like the old stuff. Have fun.
Good luck.

OP
OP
S

skimfizz

Dec 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If old or say ancient and found in a creek that is not paint on it. Usually "clay" effigies were either pipes or vessels. I suggest posting it into the section here called " North American Artifacts" it may be a leverite . But welcome to t-net and enjoy the ride. Tell them you are new and need some help they like the old stuff. Have fun.
Good luck.

Thank you very much for the redirection. I can't find anything online that resembles Native American artifacts such as effigies or vessels, so I just thought maaayyybe it still could be something from that period or older. It is interesting still. Found it while sifting for shark's teeth. Thanks again!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you tried scratching it on the inside so it doesn't show to see if it is clay... doesn't appear to be clay......

I am moving it to artifact to see if they know, we can always move it back if you wish...

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
I'd guess its part of a snake from a "Face Jug", a type of folk pottery which South Carolina is known for (as they're very collectible). Sometimes a snake would be wrapped around a grotesque face (or even devil's face) others just had snakes (as the one below), but are often put in the same category, sometimes called "crazy jugs" (but I'm not sure on how prevalent that term is).
Marvin Bailey Folk Pottery Snake Jug Jug South Carolina | eBay
As for the black portions, it would be the remnants of a glaze, if my theory is correct.
Added: googling "snake jug" will show more examples, often South Carolina, sometimes North Carolina, sometimes Georgia, but mostly SC.

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marvin Bailey started doing that kind of embossing in 1994 of his folk art jugs. I see a mouth the lower jaw but no eyes?

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Oops, I didn't mean to pick a modern one to use as an example. But I guess it works to illustrate the type of thing I'm referring to. I am rethinking this though... I may have been seeing what I wanted to, as when I think "old pottery, South Carolina, snake", then it's what comes to mind. But I agree the "eyes" that I thought I saw looking right at me in the first picture might have been a stretch. Further, the mouth of most snakes divides it's head a bit more evenly, running down the side, rather than beneath. Maybe just a case of "artistic liberty"?
Also, I've now read that snake jugs were actually more common out west, although the face jugs are strongly connected to South Carolina. I made (another) error above by referring to "crazy jugs" when I meant "ugly jugs" as being a term for this type of thing.
So, I don't know, maybe just an applied decorative handle from a small crock?

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I do not know what that is. Just wanted to say you are hunting a really historical area near or around Charleston SC. Great place!

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I see is a very unusual rock, not an Effigy. If I've said this once I've said this a thousand times. The Native Americans were very good artisans and if they wanted to create a Snake Head Effigy there would be no doubt as to whether it was or not. Do a little research and go look at actual Effigies and you will see if they wanted to depict an animal then it looked like that animal. I think yours is more than likely a Fossil of some kind.

Last edited:

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
The Grim Reaper said:
All I see is a very unusual rock, not an Effigy. If I've said this once I've said this a thousand times. The Native Americans were very good artisans and if they wanted to create a Snake Head Effigy there would be doubt as to whether it was or not. Do a little research and go look at actual Effigies and you will see if they wanted to depict an animal then it looked like that animal. I think yours is more than likely a Fossil of some kind.

Reaper, I agree with you. However, I think hundreds or even thousands of years in various weather conditions could ruin the greatest masterpiece, by the greatest artist. Another thought is, only the best pieces make it to a public display. These are only thoughts of mine, not trying to start a stink, but, had I found this piece, I would have brought it home. Smiling!

Age_old

Jul 30, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it made of pottery? Maybe its a pot leg. Doesn't look like a fossil to me personally. Cool find! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
S

skimfizz

Dec 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it made of pottery? Maybe its a pot leg. Doesn't look like a fossil to me personally. Cool find! :thumbsup:

Wish I knew :dontknow:

What I do know is that I lightly rubbed my fingernail along the inside of the opening, and the color of the piece was on my nail and resembles fine powdery dust. If you were holding it, I'm 99% certain you wouldn't believe it to be a rock/fossil. I have several fossils from sifting in the creeks, and this just looks too much like some 'man' formed it. I was just minding my business looking for shark teeth, and this junk landed in sifter lol.

May never know?

Age_old

Jul 30, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
skimfizz said:
Wish I knew :dontknow:

What I do know is that I lightly rubbed my fingernail along the inside of the opening, and the color of the piece was on my nail and resembles fine powdery dust. If you were holding it, I'm 99% certain you wouldn't believe it to be a rock/fossil. I have several fossils from sifting in the creeks, and this just looks too much like some 'man' formed it. I was just minding my business looking for shark teeth, and this junk landed in sifter lol.

May never know?

That sounds like a piece of Indian pottery to me. Many Indian pots had legs to hold it up. Your piece reminds me of one of those legs. Here is a picture from the Internet for example. I hope you find a definite answer!

Attachments

• image-1516901597.jpg
    image-1516901597.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 279

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread