sniper button?

becket1

Greenie
Aug 18, 2008
Trying to find my puter' camera cable...anyway, I dug a button I think is a sniper's button. It is a black button that I think is rubber, and is lightweight; its in great condition, but it has no insignia on the front other than the eagle and shield (no 'I' for infantry or anything on the shield, just the usual general gov. button eagle); and on the back, it has the little raised hump with the brass eye (that is still black), and I can just make out something "button co.",. I tried hard to read "novelty" as I know they made one, but the writting is just too worn for my eyes (though I will try a rubbing). It certainly looks like the 'novelty' one I saw on a relics-for-sale site. What else do I look for please? Anyone have a pic handy of this type of button? Oh, it is just a tad smaller than a nickle in diameter. Coat button? Thanks!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

becket1

Greenie
Aug 18, 2008
Here's a pic:

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 390
OP
OP
B

becket1

Greenie
Aug 18, 2008
Cool, thanks. I don't know enough to know if the rubber was over metal and thats why it was dented. Found on old spanish outpost site the yankees used (I guess) to watch the river (Matanzas, St. Augustine Fl) it was located on. Nothing there anymore though. Spanish eating utensils and musket balls, etc. found there in a 1960's small amateur excavation. The two buttons are about the only union stuff I found there, though. Also found flattened musket balls and a brass plate off a rifle, and a dropped mini-ball.

OP
OP
B

becket1

Greenie
Aug 18, 2008
Can't make out the first name before 'button co.' ; could well be. it is lightweight (to me) and all black so I thought it was one of the rubber ones. I see now it is a two-piece. Nice condition except for the dent, and since I only have one other its still cool to me! Gotta get time to dig about 1000 square nails out and get the deeper stuff next time there, but its all good! :wink:

OP
OP
B

becket1

Greenie
Aug 18, 2008
Thanks, I'll try for a better pic. I'll also try a rubbing again, first try I had too thick of a paper.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread