vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
Well myfantasia1 - I would mark a test zone - MD it with your normal coil. I would then swap it out for your new sniper coil - and MD it. I would then compare results. You will find pro's and con's throughout TN talking about "sniper coils." The performance is pretty much in the hands of the MD'er.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Well they sure work really well in really trashy areas and also work well when hunting near metal objects, such as hunting under bleachers...always trash central, but always alot of change and sometimes jewelery under them bleachers.
Hunting for say gold, you can get them small coils into really tight locations such as between rocks.
Say you know there are good targets in a spot, for example you have multiple targets in close proximity to each other, say a pulltab and bottlecap are sitting right next to a coin, if running with high discrimination, with a larger coil, 9 out of 10 times the detector with null out the coin, that smaller coil may be able to help your detector pick out that coin signal from the tab and cap.
Atleast thats how it has worked out for me.

Mike

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without a long story........ again. I went back to the best yards I have ever hunted with one. A home that was built in the late 1700's which is rare indeed in TN. I had absolutely hunted it to death with 2 different detectors and went back with a sniper coil. In the areas with heavy trash it was almost like the coins had grown back. I would have felt lucky to get a few more coins,but the results were pretty incredible. Granted it was before the days of the really fast returning machines which do a little better in trash, but it still will be one of the best tools in your arsenal. Don't let the size fool ya on depth. In my experience a 4 inch coil will probably get 75% of the depth an 8 inch coil will, if not more.:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
myfantasia1

myfantasia1

Oct 3, 2008
Colorado, Denver
Detector(s) used
Ace 350, and now AP Pro. and AP Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for you help, does it still ring up the trash? How do you know what is the best signal to dig? Thanks again

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Practice..Practice and more Practice lol, that and really learning your machine, it's language exactly, take my old 1265x for example, I have been using that thing off and on for 30 years, in the first 10 years I used it daily, atleast 6 hours per day, it has no fancy anything, no meter no nudda, but 9 out of 10 times I can tell you exactly what is under the coil, just off the very subtle changes in the sounds, once your detector becomes an extension of your arm, and you have learned its sounds well, you will know what to dig.
Or you can do it the way I do it nowadays, dig every signal, then you do not have to worry about the masking effect.

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread