leadnugget

Jul 29, 2006
arizona
Detector(s) used
gpx6000
gp extreme
gold monster 1000
nokta simplex
i am contemplating a sniping trip to California, maybe the auburn rec area, but am open to suggestions.

it would be around the 8th of September, how is the weather, temperatures for camping that time of year.

also whats the water flow like in September.

i did a trip a few years back to the American river north and middle fork.
but cut it short do to bears waking me up at 2 in the morning.

hard to sleep with them sniffing around the tent.

ill have 5 or 6 days to do some sniping. it will be a 800 mile trip so i would like to make the most of it.

any suggestions would be great as last trip i spent a lot of time just driving looking around and not enough time sniping.

i have read sam raddings book on sniping and have been mining here in Arizona for 22 years.

any recommendations for a 5 or 6 day sniping camping trip?

Upvote 0

GoldPatch

Sep 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm heading up this weekend.

Just remember to camp in a lower elevation campground. Sept. gets a little cold in the high country. I'm hitting a spot called Ruckachucky, downstream of Forrest hill. Should be a nice spot. It'll be perfect during late summer, when the flows are at a minimum

sidvail

Jan 11, 2013
Cottonwood, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just remember to camp in a lower elevation campground. Sept. gets a little cold in the high country. I'm hitting a spot called Ruckachucky, downstream of Forrest hill. Should be a nice spot. It'll be perfect during late summer, when the flows are at a minimum

How about camping in ASRA? I see they have campsites that charge, (Ruckachucky, Clementine, etc) and their brochure mentions a riverside camping permit for kayakers. Can you find a spot in the woods and camp for free anywhere within the ASRA? I usually go above Mineral Bar so as to be out of ASRA just to be safe - but would like to try down river from there.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When I camp in bear country, as a first line of defense I pour several quarts of human piss around the perimeter of my camp site. I've also been a hunter most of my life and know from experience that wild animals find human urine repugnant. I carry some empty Gatorade bottles and in my pack for this very reason( I like to get the most out of my coffee.) Of course I also have my Ruger for issues "inside the wire" but after backpacking for over 30 years, I can think of few times bears or cats have come in to my site.

OP
OP
L

leadnugget

Jul 29, 2006
arizona
Detector(s) used
gpx6000
gp extreme
gold monster 1000
nokta simplex
thanks for the replies, i am still thinking the trip over.

i might postpone till next summer as September might be to cold, and i cant change the vacation date.

i camp many times a year here in Arizona. i cant remember the last time i paid to camp.

so i was a bit shocked that they want 28 bucks a day for camping in the ASRA.

i guess it is what it is.

about the bear incident.

i showed up at a camp on the middle fork on a Tuesday after Memorial Day. the camp sites had trash everywhere from the 3 day weekend. . i cleaned up the trash, i remember seeing a lot of dog food scattered allover the ground. i was thinking (might get skunks in camp)

i would have moved but it was getting dark and the tent was set up.

so about 2am i wake up to heavy breathing on the tent window!

i look out the screen window and its pitch black, then the bear moves and i can see the stars.
i was

just looking at the broadside of a big bear less than a foot away from my face.

i managed to find a folding ww2 shovel and a frying pan and proceeded to clang them together and yell. that bear did not seem to mind all the noise.

after a bit he moved away, i jumped into the truck and turned on the headlights.

he was right there and big. i started honking the horn and after about 10 minutes he left.

i tossed the tent and everything that was in it into the back of the truck with out even taking it apart.

i headed back to AZ to do some nugget hunting and found a few nice chunks so all in all not a bad vacation.

i still really want to get back there to do some gold sniping.

there's just something about fanning that bedrock and seeing the gold in the cracks.

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Treasure finder. Gold Cube, Chisel, Hammer, Eye Loop.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
got your Burlap sack? ohh and of course don't forget your bacon flavored pixie dust to cover your unmentionables while doing the snipe dance!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread