Snows Gone, Frost broke, My First weekend of hunting.

cottonjim

Jan 12, 2007
S.W. MN
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I will post pics. when I get a chance but I want to tell the story.

I got my Ace 250 in the dead of winter so there was no digging for me right away. On Thursday night I took iti out of the closet and me and 2 of my boys went out to our very large sand box and practiced locating and pinpointing targets (spoons and matchbox cars). Once I was comfortable I decide to try my luck in our yard.
The first taget I got was at 6", I dug and dug and looked and dug and dug some more. When it was all said and done, I had a 12" deep hole about 9" around at the top and 24" around at the base. I dug a cone shaped hole so I didn't destroy alot of grass. Needless to say I couldn't find anything and I knew my wife was camin home soon so I filled the hole in.
Friday night I headed to my back yard. My first target that I got was a strong 4", Idug what appears to be some sort of diamond shaped cover off of a locket. It has a hinge and part of a hasp. It looks like it's made of copper with silver inlaid on the front with a nice design etched in the silver. I was so excited, my wife thinks I am nuts for getting so excited over "nothing". I continued searching and found a clothes pin spring and 2 weights for duck decoys, strings still attached, I dug them at 3".
I was all lit up at this point so I headed to the beach.I found 35 cents in clad there, as well as something I have no Idea what it is (I will be posting pics), several assorted pieces of Iron and a few bottle tops. All in all I had a great time just being there.
Saturday Morn. my boys wanted me to take them to the beach/park so they could hunt with me, so we headed out. We didn't have any luck at all at the beach so I took my MD to the volleye ball court. My boys were bored watching me so they took my pinpointer to the play ground area. I found a few pop tops and an old Budweiser can but nothing more. My boys found 72 cents and a silver ring. If your keeping score heres where we stand so far:
Me with $300 MD= .35 cents, a neat (broken) piece of jewelry, assorted scraps.
My boys with $40 pinpointer= .72 cents and silver ring. Ironic, LMAO

Sunday all three af my boys and I hunted a farm site, we didn't find to much, some scrap iron a few shell casings and some nails but that's it. We had a great time just spending time together though. Now we come full circle to the large hole I started in my front yard. tman had me convinced that I was missing somethin great so we resumed excavation on Sunday eve. Not 1" away from where I was originaly digging we found a nail at 4" but we were still getting a signal. We dug a bit deeper and found a old fishing weight.

All in all I had a great weekend even though I didn't find the mother load. I am hooked and look foreward to next weekend. Now if I can just get this dirt out of my pores and nails. Thanks for reading my story.

Upvote 0

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Welcome to T-Net cottonjim!!, sounds like you had a great weekend. Good finds are sure to come just keep at it and post all you find!!

kenb

tmanfromtexas

Mar 12, 2006
Deep East Texas near Toledo Bend
Detector(s) used
ETRAC BABY
Good going Jim. I was rotflmao when I read your kiddos out done ya with a pinpointer. That should tell ya they are true treasure hunters. Get some more aces. Congrats on your first finds buddy. TMAN...

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Ace 250 is a fine machine. I love mine. You will find some great stuff with it. I once showed a friend how my metal detector worked and found several pennies and while he was standing around he found 3 quarters in one spot right on top of the ground. He informed me that he didn't need no stinkin detector to beat me. Worst part was we were at my sons ball game and about 20 heard what he said, lol!!!!!!!!!!... Oh well, that's the way it goes sometimes. He thought it was very funny but I didn't quite feel the same way. It's much funnier now though!

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey welcome to the forum. Keep at it, that ACE will pick up some mighty good items. Do some research and check out some old places around where you live. Get permission and hunt those sites. I know that first Indian head penny is just around the corner, along with that first Silver coin.

HH, Ringfinder

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread