so.. Anyone going to the Galveston Beach Hunt? In November?

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
Is HARC sponsoring this one? Can you post some more info? I'd like to make that one. I'm about an hour away. Thanks, John

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
Newbie question

Gayle,
I have never been to an organized hunt. Does it become a greedy display of humanity ? Is it the kind of event to learn at or would searching on your own be a better learning experience. I have seen what happens when you let a busload of hungry people loose on a pizza buffet. If this is a similar event, I would probably wait for something milder. Thanks, Jim

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
Organized hunts are alot of fun, you have to rely on speed, go as fast as you can, finding as many coins/tokens, as you can. You are on your own, most targets will be found the first 10-15 minutes, then you can slow down to see if any deep stuff was planted. Try it, you'll like it, you will also meet alot of good people. If you ask someone for help during the hunt, you will probably be ignored since everyone is searching for the same thing. Remember, speed, speed, speed is how you will do good. John

OP
OP
R

rsc

Mar 6, 2005
Noth of Houston
I agree with Txdigger's comments. There is only one way to find out if this is for you, Try It.There is usually a good deal of space allotted. There might be one aggressive hunter, but everyone is moving at MAX pace.. Need a machine you are comfortable with, and a sand scoop. Beep, scoop, and move. Do not even look at your booty till you get a scoop full or time runs out. Kinda like gamblin , never count your finds till the dealin is done. Lotsa time later........ Last hunt I won a Garrett 250, a GOLD coin, a SILVER dollar, and 28 silver dimes. Not bad for the entry fees........... HH Gayle

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
..............NO OFFENSE BUT MOST PEOPLE DO NOT WIN BACK their entry fee!!! Especially at $125.00...........................I would rather take my chances just doing regular beach hunting by myself and mainly hunting for lost rings and jewelry!!..............Joe

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Is the hunt still happening? I had heard that ..

.. with the havoc Ike caused and with the clean-up of the roads and beaches still underway, that the hunt probably wasn't going to happen.

byron (tx)

Greenie
Feb 28, 2005
Yes, the Galveston HARC 27th annual Open Beach Hunt is still on as planned

Hello, I'm Byron Whitaker, HARC President. Yes, the Galveston HARC 27th annual Open Beach Hunt is still on as planned for
November 16, at Galveston's East Beach. Registration flyer available at www.texascouncil.net click on Member events.

HARC is extending the early entry deadline to Monday November 10 (our club’s meeting night). If anyone plans on registering the day of the hunt please let me know a few days in advance by phone or e-mail.

We’re adding Ike Eisenhower dollars :) , seated quarters, seated dimes, half dimes, and shield nickels to the “Dollars and Treasure Chests” hunt. Also adding some seated and Barber halves to the “Silver Halves” hunt.

Thanks,

[email protected]
281-350-6958

Here's updated info on Hotels & restaurants:
------------------------------------------------------

Copied 10/19/08 from http://www.galveston.com/news185/

Hotels, Restaurants, & Watering Holes Slowly Come Back to Life on Galveston Island

As Galveston Island continues its long road to recovery from Hurricane Ike, it's incredibly exciting for both citizens and would-be visitors to the Island to see tourism-related businesses begin to reopen.

Below is a listing of Galveston Island lodging facilities, restaurants, and bars/pubs. . The lodging-related properties listed below have graciously provided inventory to Galveston.com, which can be booked online here, or via our toll-free number at (888)939-8680. The restaurants and bars/pubs listed below are either open for business now, or will be some time between now and November 1, 2008.

Additional hotels, motels, condos, and Bed & Breakfasts that may or not be accepting tourists can be found in the Galveston.com Lodging Guide. Check back for continual updates at http://www.galveston.com/

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon
Thanks again for the invite Gayle. If I didn't have company this weekend I would make it out.

Have fun and take some pictures.

Jason

OP
OP
R

rsc

Mar 6, 2005
Noth of Houston
A GREAT time was had by all 50 or so participants. I ended up with a wide variety of Mercs, Roosies,Barber dimes, 1/2's, Dollars, and even a couple silver rounds.
I DID not make my entry fees back, unless you consider a beautiful day with a great group of nice people to be worth something. BUT I did come close.
For all that were there, I will see you guys and gals next hunt.
HH Gayle

myelo1023

Jul 14, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett pinpointer
rsc said:
A GREAT time was had by all 50 or so participants. I ended up with a wide variety of Mercs, Roosies,Barber dimes, 1/2's, Dollars, and even a couple silver rounds.
I DID not make my entry fees back, unless you consider a beautiful day with a great group of nice people to be worth something. BUT I did come close.
HH Gayle

Gayle...post pics of those awesome finds!!! :thumbsup: :hello2:

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon
myelo1023 said:
rsc said:
HH Gayle

I agree, sounds like you guys had a good time. Thats all that counts

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Shaw said:
myelo1023 said:
rsc said:
HH Gayle

I agree, sounds like you guys had a good time. Thats all that counts
.......................................I think that the fees have gotten too high....................I remember when it only cost $50.00 to $60.00 to go to an organized treasure hunt! Now don't get me wrong ..............if you have never been to one .............you need to go to at least one! I lost most of my enthusiam for these hunts once my kids grew up and the passing of "Van" Van Fossen did not help!! I guess after attending several dozens of these type of hunts these hunts just grew old and complacent with me!! Glad everyone had fun...........but it is NOT for everyone........................Joe

OP
OP
R

rsc

Mar 6, 2005
Noth of Houston
Sorry to take so long to post, but ..... what can I say.........I did not include the silver rounds, but this is the bulk of the goodies.....Thanks for looking..HH Gayle

Attachments

• PB180004.JPG
    PB180004.JPG
    337.7 KB · Views: 229

myelo1023

Jul 14, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
Detector(s) used
rsc said:
Sorry to take so long to post, but ..... what can I say.........I did not include the silver rounds, but this is the bulk of the goodies.....Thanks for looking..HH Gayle
Ah man...that is AWESOME!! Wonder how many washed up from the hurricane!

OP
OP
R

rsc

Mar 6, 2005
Noth of Houston
NONE All were planted for the hunt. I have hunted the beach 5 or 6 times since Ike, and have not found any old coins. But I did find 1 nice silver rinr on the second hunt, around 9-27... HH Gayle

myelo1023

Jul 14, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
Detector(s) used
rsc said:
NONE All were planted for the hunt. I have hunted the beach 5 or 6 times since Ike, and have not found any old coins. But I did find 1 nice silver rinr on the second hunt, around 9-27... HH Gayle

Shaw and I hunted Boliver briefly after the hurricane, but it was so loaded w/junk, the detectors were going nuts. We gave up! Now, I wonder how many coins ya'll LEFT there!!!! Do they do a count to see if everything was recovered, or make their own "treasure map" to find the left overs after the event? i can picture people running around like a Easter Egg hunt!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread