Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If a regular member of this forum only owns one metal detector, what detector would that likely be?

So I decided to do a little unscientific test. Over the past few days I checked out the posters who, by the regularity of their posts or their impressive year end totals, show that they regularly participate in the hobby.

I went solely off of the "Detectors Used" under their profile. If they had more than one detector listed, I ignored them and moved on. I wasn't interested inbackup units. I just wanted to see those folks who own just one detector and use it regularly.

I did gave a pass to those people who owned one land detector and one beach detector since they are geared for different environments.

Like I said, this was pretty unscientific.

Anyway, here's the result of my haphazard analysis:

If you are an avid detectorist and you only own one metal detector, it will most likely be a:

Garrett Ace 250

White's XLT

White's DFX

An honorable mention also goes out to the White's MXT, the Tesoro Tejon, and the Minelab Explorer.

Interestingly, if someone owns a Minelab detector, I noticed they tend to own more than one. Now that's brand loyalty! I noticed a similar trend among Garrett owners.

Anyway, not trying to draw any kind of conclusions from this, just found it interesting and thought you folks might too.

Have a great weekend and keep warm!

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I DO find this interesting. Especially since I just have my Fisher F75 (unlisted, :dontknow:). Oops, I forgot about the Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 I got for the wife that I have never used....I really need to try that thing out sometime.

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
Thats odd, I have quietly does this analysis in my own mind, and averaging on the posts, I noticed the most popular machines are (in no particular order):
Minelab E-trac
Minelab F-75
Whites MXT/MXT Pro
Garrett Ace 250
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq

OP
OP
Smudge

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Let me clarify, I did not list every person who listed only one detector, and I'm sure there are folks I missed (hence the unscientific part).

All I listed were the units that appeared the most number of times if the user owned only one detector.

Sorry for the confusion! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Smudge

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cap'n Crunch said:
Thats odd, I have quietly does this analysis in my own mind, and averaging on the posts, I noticed the most popular machines are (in no particular order):
Minelab E-trac
Fisher F-75
Whites MXT/MXT Pro
Garrett Ace 250
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq

Interesting.

Is that for users who use only one machine, or is that for eveverybody, even those who use multiple machines?

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting...My main detector is a White's DFX but I started using a Minelab 1000 on the beaches. Was thinking about getting a Minelab E-Trac but I'm not hearing good things about Minelab after it was sold to the new company.

NJ

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
Smudge said:
Cap'n Crunch said:
Minelab E-trac
Fisher F-75
Whites MXT/MXT Pro
Garrett Ace 250
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq

Interesting.

Is that for users who use only one machine, or is that for eveverybody, even those who use multiple machines?

I am talking about single owned machines. These are the models that I hear about being used the most when finds are being posted.

OP
OP
Smudge

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cap'n Crunch said:
Smudge said:
Cap'n Crunch said:
Minelab E-trac
Fisher F-75
Whites MXT/MXT Pro
Garrett Ace 250
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq

Interesting.

I am talking about single owned machines. These are the models that I hear about being used the most when finds are being posted.

Thank you for that information. Good to know.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did good.......Matt

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now you have to look at the machine used the most with the banner finds then buy that one....lol.

NJ

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
N.J.THer said:
Now you have to look at the machine used the most with the banner finds then buy that one....lol.

NJ

Thats not a bad way for a newbie to break a tie in his/hers decision in buying a machine, but I believe that the banner finds are a combination of three things..... 1. getting lucky in finding the right property that holds such rare treasure, 2. the hunter's thoroughness to cover the entire ground properly, 3. knowing the machine well.

Dont wait for a loud clear signal, dig those little bumps and burps and other small repeating distortions that is affecting the threshold in particular spots!!

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cap'n Crunch said:
N.J.THer said:

NJ

Thats not a bad way for a newbie to break a tie in his/hers decision in buying a machine, but I believe that the banner finds are a combination of three things..... 1. getting lucky in finding the right property that holds such rare treasure, 2. the hunter's thoroughness to cover the entire ground properly, 3. knowing the machine well.

Dont wait for a loud clear signal, dig those little bumps and burps and other small repeating distortions that is affecting the threshold in particular spots!!

Agreed...but at least you also know the machine has the capability of finding the goods in the right hands.

NJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread