So many new Pin Pointers, so little time. What do you use.

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
If money is a problem, get a 'Zircon M40 Stud Finder' as a hand held pin pointer. It's easy to use- just point & pull the trigger.
I think I payed $29 for it.
It is designed to help woodworkers find the hidden nails that hold drywall panels the studs (frames) of walls.
Can be found at any hardware store. Zircon makes a few different models of stud finders, so be sure to go for the 'M40'.

It works well for me until I can get the "Pro Pointer".

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is something I did not know (turn coil on its side and it acts like a pinpointer)....and I thought I knew everything!!:thumbsup:
Last time I looked it was a open site and thread, the replies were light hearted which you have turned around along with your cronies who pressed the like button. And you couldn't keep up with me in a month of sundays. All detectors (decent ones )have a pin point on them, and if you turn your coil on it side up, you can use that as a pin point.

And by the way you are the one who quoted me, not the other way round. I think it's you who are trying to stir the $hit, bit of a cheek really when you have only been on this site five minutes.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If your time is not worth anything I would agree...

biggest time saver in metal detecting.

I got into detecting before pinpointers, and old habits die hard. I still maintain that if you have a good technique, you can easily out-perform a pinpointer just using the swipe-across-the-coil technique. Pinpointer use in plowed fields and beaches is redundant, because they soil/sand is loose. Knock it around and a couple handfuls, and boom. There you go.

HOWEVER!

There ARE instances where a pinpointer is a solid joy to use, and I feel that they are indispensable for lawn and sodded areas where you are mostly plugging. My technique with a plug is: Flap it - pinpoint it - break it open just enough to retrieve the prize - flap it back down - tamp and go.

When I muck around in the rivers I love my Garrett pp - which I've waterproofed - because I usually search around boulders. The PP will go where I can't even fit my SS coil.

Now to answer the OP's question: If I were to get another pinpointer, I would get the new Garrett AT, or perhaps the Vibra-Probe 580.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I respect everyone's method, and I only meant to express my own view on pin-pointers.

If you use one, great.

My method, even with a sod flap, is lay it back, take a scoop, wave it over the coil...got it good, if not take another scoop.

When I tried the pin-pointer, it was lay it back, pin-point...yep center of hole....scoop, got it good, if not put down scoop, pick up pin-pointer....yep, still down there, put it down, pick up scoop, etc.

If you use one, that's awesome, I'm just sayin' I got along with out one for 30 years, and it just seems like extra steps, and one more thing to carry. Not meaning to argue, just hope my experience may help.

Good Luck.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello,

I use the Garrett Pro Pointer (black model) and the whites TRX (a deeper probe) and like them both in the field. I purchased a pistol probe fairly cheap so looking forward to play with a new toy. Finally, in a few weeks when there is a new supply of the Garrett Pro Pointer AT (orange model) around I'll give that a try. This will save me the time "waterproofing" my Pro Pointer. I can say that neither the Garrett or Whites have given me any problems as of this writing.

Regards,

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
If you use one, that's awesome, I'm just sayin' I got along with out one for 30 years, and it just seems like extra steps, and one more thing to carry.

I went around the country for years with paper maps and a AAA Road Atlas.

But this new smart phone of mine... turn by turn maps with GPS, weather radar, internet, camera, text messages and it even makes phone calls.

I do less damage with a pinpointer. I can see where in the plug it is and slip it out. Replace plug, never knew I was there. If it's not in the plug, I know exactly where I missed it in the hole. Less disturbance.

On the beach, little stuff falls through the holes in the scoop. A couple of quick pokes with the pinpointer, wham, got it.

Pinpointer's are just additional tools. Like having the exact size wrench and not depending on a crescent or metric adjustable.

PP's are an enhancement to the hunt, which some find more pleasurable than others.

I never go hunting without a full set of tools.

RVAdigger

Tenderfoot
Aug 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the Deteknix Xpointer. I can't imagine what the others do that mine doesn't. It only false when battery is low so then I know to change it. I quickly dunk it all the time when my holes fill with water in my swamped spots, no ill effects... speaker holes are plugged with dried clay all the time. Went out with 2 guys Sunday who had no pinpointer... they found nothing in a few hours and complained their holes kept filling with water. They left frustrated an hour after I got there so I headed to where they came from 5 minutes later spotted a hole they tried and got the federal navy parrott shell frag they couldn't get out of it. Lol.

pipesmoke

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think if you tried one you would continue to find it quite useful

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never used a pin pointer, you don't need one...waist of good money.

SS

I only recenly bought a pinpointer (TRX), I had hunted for years... without one. After the first the week I thought how did ever live without one?

If you had never had carrots, how do you know that you don't like them?:icon_scratch:

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ve had a the garrett, the trx, and the minelab. I wouldn't recommend the old garrett and hope the new one doesn't have the problems the old style did. You can't go wrong with the whites or the minelab. I won't detect without one.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only recenly bought a pinpointer (TRX), I had hunted for years... without one. After the first the week I thought how did ever live without one?

If you had never had carrots, how do you know that you don't like them?:icon_scratch:
When I stop finding lead the size of BB shot, I might buy one.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I think if you tried one you would continue to find it quite useful

I'd speculate that something like 100% of everybody who has tried one said the same thing. I woulda saved tons of money had I never bought my first pointer, the Garretts ProPointer. I only owned a hand-me-down detector, no cost to me back then. It was 90s to 100 degrees here in Texas when I first played in the dirt. I was quitting before I even started and I then bought the GPP. It was like the sky opened up. What money would I have saved? All the money I spent on high end detectors over 5 years! I was quitting,, seriously

Y'all do what you want but me?, I won't wave a handful of dirt ever again,, nor will I spend several minutes in the heat and cold on my knees when a pointer does the job in a minute or less. I went back to some of my refilled holes after getting the pointer and WHAM, I found what I had given up on pre-pinpointer.

I would NOT be metal detecting past my first month of starting back in 2010 if the pointer hadn't come to my possession. Pointers are necessary in my opinion.

One thing more. With my pointer I don't even have to root into the dirt with my hands, WHICH surely saved me cuts from rusty razor blades and needles. I've never worn gloves in my 5 years and I've never gotten cut.

Last edited:

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a Garrett that I'm currently trying to prolong the time until I have to replace it...(my last one lasted six years), and
protected by a Pappa Doody probe cover and tight-fitting plastic caps. Keeps nearly all moisture and no mud/dust gets inside.
(see attached pic)
PICT6115.JPG
Well, is the requirements, Price and/or Performance of your new probe that you want?
BOTH, of course, right?
Well, the newest Garrett and the Nokta pointers are very close to both of those two requirements,
however from what I see, the Nokta, with the (two) BUTTONS and the speaker on the TOP, give these added benefits:

First, since the buttons sit within a recess of the battery cap/lid/top of the probe,
there is less chance of your wet, muddy glove grinding "stuff" into, and behind the buttons.
And both buttons distribute the button-pushing, rather than just ONE button
(Garrett) that takes ALL the (ab)use...! Noktas smaller buttons require an almost vertical
finger tip pressure, on the switches below to operate - better design for longer switch life.

Second, the SPEAKER, is behind a small opening, on the top too, but is prone to getting "muffled" some, by a drop of water
or mud...you can quickly blow that out of the way..., and continue hunting. A small CON, with the much longer list of PROS,
that I see the Nokta having....!

Sure, all pinpointers have their limits, and wear out, but I'll bet that Nokta will average longer time between shop
visits...!
We shall see.
Meanwhile - good luck in selection of your pointer!

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I HIGHLY recommend that nobody but me uses a pinpointer.NEVER give in to the hype,let me give in for you.In fact if you are a carpenter....dont get a chop saw.NO chainsaws either,hand saws only for real men.Go bear hunting with rocks.Dig with your bloody fingers...yup...let me be the woosey with the new fangled tools who follows you...:occasion14:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never used a pin pointer, you don't need one...waist of good money.

SS

I felt the same way last year (my 1st season). The main reason why I felt this way was because I bought a $42 BH pinpointer that only had about 1/2 inch range. I was so disgusted with it's limited range, it sat in the van. When I bought a bunch of gear off a fellow MDer who had to leave the hobby due to health reasons, I got a garrett pro pointer in the deal. I will not leave home without it. I have had some issues with it like not wanting to turn off or stay on. It's a simple fix though, I just remove and reinstall the rubber switch cover and that always solves the problem.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I must admit though that there are plenty of sites I hit and do not need to pull out the pin pointer (when retrieving the target). If you know your machine and dig the proper depth. It's amazing how many plugs I dig and the coin is right there.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Am I wrong to think the OP's thread was about different Mfg's. and not if I need one?
Any user comments on the Nokta RS Pinpointer?
Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions