So my account got suspended on eBay

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
"Elk ivory" is not ivory, it's a tooth. There are two teeth in the elks mouth that are easily removed and are called the, "Ivories" by elk hunters. It's not like elephant ivory, or walrus tusks, it's a damn elk tooth, and every year all the legally harvested elk bulls have those two teeth removed by the hunter as trophies, just like saving the antlers and eating the meat, and tanning the hide. There are imitation elk teeth made now days to satisfy the demand created by the mountain man, fur trapper, Indian rein-actors. There is nothing illegal about selling an elk tooth unless you poached the elk, and that's a different story. Elk aren't an endangered species. List the item as "BPOE Jewelry with tooth," or Elk tooth jewelry," because the word "ivory" seems to be what the computer program is keying on.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well nothing has happened yet but I just checked my account and my listings. I've been able to read list stuff starting Friday. But I have a plastic keychain that I listed as ivory colored plastic. With green jade colored plastic. I wonder if that listing will get flagged as well!! I would hope not. But if an elk's tooth is not ivory and gets flagged. Will plastic ivory color get flagged as well?

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Apatite is the defining mineral for 5 on the Mohs scale. Hydroxyapatite, also known as hydroxylapatite, is the major component of tooth enamel and bone mineral ... Don't use the word ivory at all.

Yup, I would still list this stuff. Just leave out the word ivory completely.

Sent from a empty soda can!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold some gold cufflinks with Elk teeth in each once on ebay. I didn't call it ivory, because they're Elk teeth. I haven't looked lately on how folks are peddling real ivory on ebay, but last I did they were all stating faux ivory. I've gotten away with it before. Did you list it in the fraternal orders category? I even once sold a WWII C. Plath German sextant with swastikas on the box, sextant and paper work once and a guy in Norway made a sweet offer in an hour after I listed it, so down it went. I just let the pictures do all the talking on that item. Heritage auction house won't do ivory anymore either. I have really sweet, old, detailed carved elephant ivory brooch from China I need to figure out how to unload sometime. I was going to do the faux ivory bit on ebay, but maybe I better look for a better avenue outside of ebay after reading your story. :( I can buy those Elk teeth all day long on the Indian reservations.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you think I should pull the listing I have even though there's a bid on it? Never mind I'm just going to end it and sell it to that person.

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Here is one for all of you. I sell food products and ebays policy you MUST have an expiration date listed in item specifics. 90% of the sellers on eBay do not list an expiration date. I will forget to update an expiration on occasion. They pull the auction and send you the nasty gram. I called once and asked about the other 50+ auctions selling the same product as me with no date. They told me they couldn't pull everybody!!!!!!!!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, it's a tooth and not an ivory one. Never use the word ivory on ebay without the word "faux" in front of it. I have seen many real ivory items sell that were listed as faux ivory. Also using a BIN versus auction is the way to go with "iffy" pieces too, you just have to set the price correctly to make sure it sells pretty quickly.

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is one for all of you. I sell food products and ebays policy you MUST have an expiration date listed in item specifics. 90% of the sellers on eBay do not list an expiration date. I will forget to update an expiration on occasion. They pull the auction and send you the nasty gram. I called once and asked about the other 50+ auctions selling the same product as me with no date. They told me they couldn't pull everybody!!!!!!!!

I have seen that over the years. I doubt ebay is targeting sellers. I think competing sellers are flagging competitors listings. I've received emails from supposed prospective buyers complaining about my item/listing and when I checked them out they were selling competing items. Then if you didn't satisfy them in response to their complaints they flag you. I block anyone that causes any sort of trouble immediately. What kind of feed back would you expect from some chucklehead complaining before they purchase?

I blocked guy that was about wanting to negotiate $. In my last email before the block I told him sorry - please don't buy anything from me (not that he could). Half hour later another ID from his same zipcode across the country from me purchased it- no questions asked. Can't blame them for trying to get a better deal, just annoying.

The way to show ebay you don't like being selectively enforced is to go and flag every body else who is getting away with what you got nailed for.

They might not have time to mess with you anymore. Either way it can only level the playing field a bit.

Last edited:

JustinNH

Apr 10, 2012
NH
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a listing pulled in my first month of selling last year. It was a bone carved pendant, regular bone not ivory.
Said I had to include the species it came from to be allowed. I had no idea, so I never relisted. I suppose I could say cow...

Strange that it was still pulled when you said the species. I guess I'll just stay away from all of that to avoid it.

I've had something pulled as a gravity assisted knife. It wasn't even a knife... haha They couldn't remove the warning either, so due to no error on me If I were to list another weapon item, I'd be canned as my second strike.

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is what I believe but when I flagged the other auctions they remained up.

I have seen that over the years. I doubt ebay is targeting sellers. I think competing sellers are flagging competitors listings. I've received emails from supposed prospective buyers complaining about my item/listing and when I checked them out they were selling competing items. Then if you didn't satisfy them in response to their complaints they flag you. I block anyone that causes any sort of trouble immediately. What kind of feed back would you expect from some chucklehead complaining before they purchase?

I blocked guy that was about wanting to negotiate $. In my last email before the block I told him sorry - please don't buy anything from me (not that he could). Half hour later another ID from his same zipcode across the country from me purchased it- no questions asked. Can't blame them for trying to get a better deal, just annoying.

The way to show ebay you don't like being selectively enforced is to go and flag every body else who is getting away with what you got nailed for.

They might not have time to mess with you anymore. Either way it can only level the playing field a bit.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly though what is to stop them from pulling them all. If mines a violation then how hard is it for them to pull another 40 listings. They said they will pull them as they get to them. If it was really that big of a deal and be able to pull them all at once even has 3 employees working for them. Oh well it's done with.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had several items pulled but never been suspended. Jarts most recently. Before that, a oxygen valve thing that had to be prescribed by a Dr. I even relisted a bowie knife (with the banned "D" guard) with different words and got caught again. They usually even call me before pulling the auction but I never pick up, lol. I think there may be a sliding scale based on what the item is. Ivory is like rhino horn or something, an international no-no.

Last edited:

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try calling them and explaining to them it's a freaking tooth--from an elk, not ivory. Tell them you want to know why people sell HUMAN teeth on there with gold in them and you can't sell a dang elks tooth with gold on it?? That is crazy!!

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold a sperm whale tooth on ebay for $150 back in june, that was shortly after the ban first came out. I got this email from ebay on
[h=3][/h]
6/20/14.

[FONT=Arial, Verdana]We noticed that item(s) offered for sale on this account weren’t listed in accordance with our Ivory policy. We realize you may not have been aware of this policy, or that this may have been a simple oversight, so we're including some policy information to help you with your future listings and to make sure they don't run into any problems. We also had to take the following actions:
- Listings that didn't follow eBay guidelines have been removed. A list of removed items is available further down in this email.
- We have credited any associated fees to your account.

Items made from or containing any kind of ivory aren’t allowed. Though there are some exceptions, most ivory products can't be offered on eBay due to various international trade restrictions and treaties banning the sale of these items.

However, you may offer manufactured ivory products that were made before the year 1900 and contain less than five percent ivory. Examples include items with ivory inlay, like antique furniture or musical instruments.

When listing these kinds of products, you'll need to:
- Include a picture of the item
- Clearly state the item was made before 1900
- Offer domestic shipping only

To learn more about our animals and wildlife products policy, go to:
Animals and wildlife products policy

In an effort to conform to international regulations concerning the sale of ivory, eBay has made updates to our ivory policies. We reviewed your item and have determined that it contains real ivory. While we appreciate that you have chosen to utilize our site, we must ask that you please not relist in this case. We would have loved to explain this to you over a phone call, however, this item was removed outside of our calling hours. (9:00 AM to 9:00 PM MST)

Please take a moment to familiarise yourself with this information and be sure that future listings follow these guidelines. Keep in mind that if further items aren't listed in accordance with our policy, it could result in additional action including account restrictions or loss of buying and selling privileges on eBay.

If you have any more questions, contact our policy experts.
http://ocsnext.ebay.com/ocs/cusr?query=508&domain=email1384
[/FONT]

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I guess I can't sell any of this? No ivory or teeth inside?
Wonder what ebay would do?

My wife is in Japan now, maybe i will ask her ot bring me back a can or two. It tastes like fishy beef.

Attachments

• 110071623_eb6e3aec1e.jpg
    110071623_eb6e3aec1e.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 96

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread