So... Please tell me Why does a metal detector cost $2499 again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it may be a "specialized' hobby but there are a lot of "obtuse" people in the world too.
buy a "decent" detector,and L E A R N. it!..put the "rest" of the money in an interest bearing
vehicle that "makes" you money!..again learn the detector you have,and find stuff!
i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t..

In many cases, you are right. Knowledge of your detector is key to finding good targets, usually way more so than an expensive machine alone. However in the areas of Virginia I mentioned, nothing performs like the GPXs.... It's been tried. There are targets the cheap and/or expensive VLF detectors (and a bunch of PI machines) just don't see which the GPXs can see with ease in that soil. It's the performance and the results that drive the market for those detectors.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you buy a good detector, 10. Years later it is still worth 60-80% of what you paid for it if you take care of it and if you want to sell it.

An old excal 10 years old still sells for $700-800 used and they sold new for $1100...

If you sell it for $700 after using it for 10 years you spent $400 to have a top of the line water detector for 10 years

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
If you buy a good detector, 10. Years later it is still worth 60-80% of what you paid for it if you take care of it and if you want to sell it.

An old excal 10 years old still sells for $700-800 used and they sold new for $1100...

If you sell it for $700 after using it for 10 years you spent $400 to have a top of the line water detector for 10 years

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......
Really hard to argue with that...

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What percentage of the population of the U.S. owns a metal detector? I'll assume 2-3%. That's 6-9 million people. Not even close to the number of people buying televisions or DVD players, but regardless of that ALL electronics have benefitted from the proliferation of electronic devices in our everyday lives. Metal detectors seem to have been an exception to that. I still believe it is due to tight control of the market through distributors. It will end soon. 6-9 million people may not be a lot but it is enough to attract foreign competition. And real competition is always a good thing for consumers.

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What percentage of the population of the U.S. owns a metal detector? I'll assume 2-3%. That's 6-9 million people. Not even close to the number of people buying televisions or DVD players, but regardless of that ALL electronics have benefitted from the proliferation of electronic devices in our everyday lives. Metal detectors seem to have been an exception to that. I still believe it is due to tight control of the market through distributors. It will end soon. 6-9 million people may not be a lot but it is enough to attract foreign competition. And real competition is always a good thing for consumers.

How much more competition do you think there could be? There are already detectors for sale from all over the world. China makes a crap load of them, Minelab is an Australian company with malaysian production. There are German companies, Eastern Europe, Western Europe, Mexican, South American on top of the U.S. companies.

Most detectors are cheap to produce, it's research and development part that is expensive and companies pass that cost along to us. If you want a mediocre detector, there are plenty to choose from and they don't cost much. If you want something specialized with the newest developments it's going to cost more.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as saying your paying for a name...

Had the same people talk smack about by Colt 1911's or AR's.

Had a guy who owned a Bushmaster & S&W AR and who tried to tell me that I overpaid for my Colt. His Bushmaster and S&W were just as good and cost half the money.

When we got to the range...I shot a 10 shot groups that were 1.5" in size. He struggled to get 3" groups at 100 yards with 4-5 shot groups.

I also once shot a 30 round group that was 2.5" in size at 100 yards. Shot all 30 rounds in under 5 minutes.

Sorry, but just because something has a good name or is expensive, does not mean that its inferior or overpriced, or is of the same quality as lower priced items.

In some cases it may be true, but a lot companies earn their respect due to producing products that actually work well and function as advertised.

Could these same guys shoot tighter groups using your rifle?
Or are you just a better Shot?

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suppose it all comes down to Opinion , how much money you have/ willing to spend, How serious are you about the hobby, & are there Deep Relics In tuff soil conditions that you are able to hunt , too warrant buying a GPX Type Machine.

At this time , my best option would be buying a used TDI For those HOT & Hard hit areas.

Davers

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
That's my point, I'd never be able to afford a machine that price, but I know already the response most will give to that, so save your time lol.

Mike

Start small and work your way up to to the better machine. You don't have to spend it all at once.

sent from a potato...

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much more competition do you think there could be? There are already detectors for sale from all over the world. China makes a crap load of them, Minelab is an Australian company with malaysian production. There are German companies, Eastern Europe, Western Europe, Mexican, South American on top of the U.S. companies.

Most detectors are cheap to produce, it's research and development part that is expensive and companies pass that cost along to us. If you want a mediocre detector, there are plenty to choose from and they don't cost much. If you want something specialized with the newest developments it's going to cost more.

Which new developments would that be?

I'm not personally satisfied with the exorbitant prices, the durability or the lack of technology in current metal detectors. At the same time though, we're kind of stuck until a new company comes along and breaks us out of mediocrity.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which new developments would that be? I'm not personally satisfied with the exorbitant prices, the durability or the lack of technology in current metal detectors. At the same time though, we're kind of stuck until a new company comes along and breaks us out of mediocrity.

Well for starters: FBS2, Target Trace, GPS, USB port, Wireless headphones, Waterproof, Color screen, Carbon fiber construction in a very compact design. That is more innovation than any other metal detector company I'm aware of. Or do you mean since the CTX was released.

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
Which new developments would that be?

I'm not personally satisfied with the exorbitant prices, the durability or the lack of technology in current metal detectors. At the same time though, we're kind of stuck until a new company comes along and breaks us out of mediocrity.

Good morning jith, great job representing the voice of reason while I've been gone. Would you like me to take it from here or are you going to do another shift?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last I looked no one is forced to buy...Don't like the price manufacturers charge for THEIR products your free to use something else, maybe a forked stick....

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
Well for starters: FBS2, Target Trace, GPS, USB port, Wireless headphones, Waterproof, Color screen, Carbon fiber construction in a very compact design. That is more innovation than any other metal detector company I'm aware of. Or do you mean since the CTX was released.

Fletch, my good buddy fletch, been out all night,. I just got back. I'm going to make my point and then I'm going to go to sleep.
Wireless headphones, color screen, waterproof,, you just described a $17 MP3 player....
A CTX 3030 cost $2500..... For $2500 fletch, it should replace my girlfriend, do you understand what I'm trying to say?
It should perform all kinds of advanced functions really really really well for $2500.
That said it is not a $2500 piece of technology

They want 300 for an aditional coil. A coil by the way is a four-foot cable attached to a copper ring and wrapped in a rubber casing. They advertise that it can transmit through 12 inches to identify anomalies.

Fletch, a DirecTV antenna cost $35 and communicates with satellites both ways. Satellites!!!. Both ways fletch......
If it were manufactured by Minelab it would cost $38,000.... Fletch, are you following me.?
GPS? I bought my first GPS unit for $840 in 2002. Does your sovereign GT have a GPS unit in it Fletch?
No it does not..... That would be impressive if he did though, because in 2002 a GPS was considered high-technology and cost a heck of a lot of money
fletch, they put it in the CTX 3030 circa 2014.....
You know where I'm going with this right fletch.? Yeah, that's right, in 2014 a GPS costs $39 at fries electronics

By the way, why does a metal detector have a GPS in it, Is there any chance that we are going to forget what beach or mountain we left off on?

Do you work for National Geographic fletch?

Well then what in freaking hell do we need a GPS in our metal detectors for?
Are you going to plot in detail a search quadrant consisting mostly of bottle caps and hairpins via USB port, in high hopes of finding another three dollar silver dime?

To be continued.........

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fletch, my good buddy fletch, been out all night,. I just got back. I'm going to make my point and then I'm going to go to sleep.
Wireless headphones, color screen, waterproof,, you just described a $17 MP3 player....
A CTX 3030 cost $2500..... For $2500 fletch, it should replace my girlfriend, do you understand what I'm trying to say?
It should perform all kinds of advanced functions really really really well for $2500.
That said it is not a $2500 piece of technology

They want 300 for an aditional coil. A coil by the way is a four-foot cable attached to a copper ring and wrapped in a rubber casing. They advertise that it can transmit through 12 inches to identify anomalies.

Fletch, a DirecTV antenna cost $35 and communicates with satellites both ways. Satellites!!!. Both ways fletch......
If it were manufactured by Minelab it would cost $38,000.... Fletch, are you following me.?
GPS? I bought my first GPS unit for $840 in 2002. Does your sovereign GT have a GPS unit in it Fletch?
No it does not..... That would be impressive if he did though, because in 2002 a GPS was considered high-technology and cost a heck of a lot of money
fletch, they put it in the CTX 3030 circa 2014.....
You know where I'm going with this right fletch.? Yeah, that's right, in 2014 a GPS costs $39 at fries electronics

By the way, why does a metal detector have a GPS in it, Is there any chance that we are going to forget what beach or mountain we left off on?

Do you work for National Geographic fletch?

Well then what in freaking hell do we need a GPS in our metal detectors for?
Are you going to plot in detail a search quadrant consisting mostly of bottle caps and hairpins via USB port, in high hopes of finding another three dollar silver dime?

To be continued.........

A forked stick or 2 bent coat hangers are free.......

There are approx 32 million satalite owners in America, if there were 32 million people buying metal detectors the price of a detector would be much less, and our hobby would really suck......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread