cambria09

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Sovereign Elite, Mine Lab Etrac, Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello treblehunter. Nice one and in very good shape too. Did you dig it up?

Unbroken vintage bottles are always very welcome finds. Whenever I find broken glass I try to probe around for intact pieces.

NuGrape - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3 CL1 091713 Hunt Sun Crest Btl.jpg

I dug this Suncrest (another Nu Grape brand) that way back in September. Thanks for the posting and good luck. C9

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello treblehunter. Nice one and in very good shape too. Did you dig it up?

Unbroken vintage bottles are always very welcome finds. Whenever I find broken glass I try to probe around for intact pieces.

NuGrape - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

View attachment 932559

I dug this Suncrest (another Nu Grape brand) that way back in September. Thanks for the posting and good luck. C9
I have not used a probe yet, this was sticking out of a spot that I could see was an old trash pile. One of these days I'll start probing. What do you use for a probing rod? Thank's for the link and commenting on my thread.
Brad

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pop bottles are cool. that's a nice one

cambria09

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not used a probe yet, this was sticking out of a spot that I could see was an old trash pile. One of these days I'll start probing. What do you use for a probing rod? Thank's for the link and commenting on my thread.
Brad

Hi Brad. Thanks for he reply. I have a nice SS 3/8-in dia rod 3-FT long with a T-handle on it but usually I just dig around with a hand trowel or my shovel very gently. I find the extent of solid objects in the dirt and go from there. If I keep finding broken stuff, it's time to move on.

HH Chris

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a nice SS 3/8-in dia rod 3-FT long with a T-handle on it

Hey cambria,

If that "SS" means stainless steel, you may wanna rethink that tool. Stainless steel will leave very difficult (if not impossible) to remove marks on old glass.

NuGrape-sign.jpg

Mich. Wolverine

Dec 12, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266
Nice bottle Treblehunter and Surf I think SS stand for spring steel. That's what they make privy probes out of and thanks for the heads up on the stainless steel, I didn't know that. This is a picture of a 1920's Nu Grape bottle that I found last year.

SANY0153.jpg
Wolverine.

cambria09

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey cambria,

If that "SS" means stainless steel, you may wanna rethink that tool. Stainless steel will leave very difficult (if not impossible) to remove marks on old glass.

Hello Surf. SS means stainless steel. I had the machinist where I work make it for me. Don't use it much though, in fact I don't think I have ever found anything with it. I have a plastic trowel that have been using instead. When I find a garbage dump I work around the hole edges and bottom with it.

If I ever get big-time into bottle hunting I will put a plasitc end on my SS probe.

Thanks for the reply and HH. C9

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool bottle:icon_thumleft:

My dog used to be my hunting partner but he cant handle the woods anymore..

Blaze

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brad

Nice bottle.... I too used a 3/8" steel rod with a piece of steel spot welded across top (T). Mine was around 4' long. I used it in sandy soil in southwest MI. It worked great. You can tell when it hits glass vs rocks. It takes awhile but you'll learn quick. I found over 400 intact bottles in 5 privy pits in my back yard. Signed another.... Brad

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread